Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2018, 04:11 AM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps the OP and other posters might want to review and/or contribute to this thread about the Pentax Limited lenses:

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 10 - PentaxForums.com

to quote one poster from that thread:

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I have the DA15, DA21, FA31 (two copies), HD DA35 macro, FA43 and FA77, and use them extensively. I have also previously owned the DA40 and DA70 (and the 20-40 zoom for that matter), and second copies of the DA15 and FA43.

The answer to your first question is an unreserved yes. Earlier posters have summarised the reasons. Each lens has its strengths and in my opinion they are the jewels in the Pentax crown. No other brand makes a series of lenses anything like them.

The FA limiteds are faster because they are designed that way. Priorities included overall rendering quality and a maximum aperture below f/2.0 while covering the 135 image circle as compactly as possible. The DA limiteds were designed with compactness as a guiding principle to take full advantage of the smaller APS-C sensor. Speed was a necessary compromise in achieving that goal.

Which single Limited you should buy will depend on what sort of photography you prefer, and what other lenses you already have. But let's not fool ourselves; you won't stop at just one
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/358446-lim...ml#post4169887

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-12-2018 at 04:17 AM.
04-12-2018, 05:57 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
These Limiteds are small and if you’ll judge them based on the prevailing “internet” standards, they’re too “flawed” to be of any use. But in my humble opinion, yes, they’re not perfect, but one thing they do have that comes with their flaws: character.
04-12-2018, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Pentax DA Limited lens lineup

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
I’m new to the Pentax system and curious about the philosophy of the DA limited line.
I’ve noticed that the line is made up of small, light, well built but “slowish” lenses (from an aperture perspective).
I was wondering if this comes from a long term Pentax design philosophy?
Is it to set the brand apart from the fray?
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax:
The DA Limited series creates rich, artistic visual expressions.
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/pdf/pentax_acc.pdf#page=7
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/pdf/pentax_acc.pdf#page=2
Creating a distinctive visual expression beyond mere numerical values,
with excellent reproduction of depth and perspective
QuoteQuote:
High-grade lens series combining a machined aluminum alloy body with state-of-the-art optics and high-grade lens coatings

Exclusively designed for APS-C-format digital SLR cameras based on the assessment of repeated test shootings, the DA Limited series delivers well-defined, distinctive images with a unique sense of depth indescribable by numerical values. In addition to the latest HD Coating anti-reflection technology, it also features SP Super Protect—Coating, which effectively repels water and oil and protects the lens from scratches. Its Round Diaphragm produces a beautiful bokeh effect. To add a sense of qualityandexclusivity, all the components — from the lens barrel to the cap and hood — are made of high-grade aluminum alloy and machined to perfection.
04-12-2018, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The DA Limited’s are a trade off. Compact size, light weight, exceptional build quality, beautiful manual focus handling - at the expense of a half stop or a full stop of light. The aperture size is still aligned to be larger than most of what would be needed to capture an image with a specific focal length. They aren’t slow. Even the DA 21 is f/3.2 wide open (not far off f/2.8). The DA 15 is the slowest of the bunch at f/4 but would normally be used around f/8. These lenses are the Spartan warriors of the digital lens world.

Last edited by Saltwater Images; 04-12-2018 at 06:56 PM.
04-12-2018, 05:10 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
The DA Limited’s are a trade off. Compact size, light weight, exceptional build quality, beautiful manual focus handling - at the expense of a half stop or a full stop of light. The aperture size is still aligned to be larger than most of what would be captured with a specific focal length. They aren’t slow. Even the DA 21 is f/3.2 wide open (not far off f/2.8). The DA 15 is the slowest of the bunch at f/4 but would normally be used around f/8. These lenses are the Spartan warriors of the digital lens world.
They’re little jewels and great lenses on a Pentax APSc body. On a KP or K-70 with the Accelerator Unit the slow aperture is no longer a limiting factor. I had planned to sell them and go all-in K-1 but I bought a used KP and now I’m stuck.

Also Mike Johnston has called the DA35/2.8 Macro Limited possibly the best lens ever made and the FA Limiteds the best lenses available in 2002. He literally believes that. On APSc I believe Pentax has the best lens catalog out there.
04-12-2018, 06:34 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They’re little jewels and great lenses on a Pentax APSc body. On a KP or K-70 with the Accelerator Unit the slow aperture is no longer a limiting factor. I had planned to sell them and go all-in K-1 but I bought a used KP and now I’m stuck.

Also Mike Johnston has called the DA35/2.8 Macro Limited possibly the best lens ever made and the FA Limiteds the best lenses available in 2002. He literally believes that. On APSc I believe Pentax has the best lens catalog out there.
Nice to hear that you are keeping your KP. I was forcing the ISO up to 12,800 earlier today shooting my favorite copper coffee pot and was blown away by how good the images were whether at ISO 3200, 5000, 10,000 or 12.8K. That accelerator
unit is pretty amazing.
04-12-2018, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Totally agree.

The DA Limited's are addictive. On a humble K-5II - I started with the 21 followed by the 40. Then it was the 70 followed by the 15. Although I bought the D FA 100 WR - I still ended up getting the 35 Limited. The drawing style of all is superb with enough uniqueness to make you appreciate every individual one. I prefer DA Limited neutral colour rendering over an FA as I can finish to my taste in post.

The very slight limitation on aperture size made me learn how to use flash better. Now I often shoot with multiple radio triggered strobes in dim light. Looking forward to a K-3II replacement - if a KP can be put into a K3 body with a larger buffer I'm going to pre-order as it will be perfect for the Limited's.

04-12-2018, 07:52 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
Totally agree.

The DA Limited's are addictive. On a humble K-5II - I started with the 21 followed by the 40. Then it was the 70 followed by the 15. Although I bought the D FA 100 WR - I still ended up getting the 35 Limited. The drawing style of all is superb with enough uniqueness to make you appreciate every individual one. I prefer DA Limited neutral colour rendering over an FA as I can finish to my taste in post.

The very slight limitation on aperture size made me learn how to use flash better. Now I often shoot with multiple radio triggered strobes in dim light. Looking forward to a K-3II replacement - if a KP can be put into a K3 body with a larger buffer I'm going to pre-order as it will be perfect for the Limited's.
When I bought the used silver KP I bought a silver DA70 - and discovered the benefit of the HD coating and 9 blades. Now I have the HD 21 and 40 also (all bought on deal days) so I have the HD 3-lens prime kit like the old film days, plus the SMC 15 and 35

I’ll stay with the K-1 and KP when the flagship APSc comes out.

.: