Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2018, 12:58 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Wide angle venting

My da 15mm limited is driving me nuts! There's lots to like about it but the corner sharpness is just not good enough. The field curvature and just plain blurry edges make taking a good photo to much hit and miss. Every time I think I've had enough I manage to take a decent photo and start thinking maybe It's just a matter of learning the quirks. But it's not really repeatable unless your subject is arranged in space to fit the optics of the lens. I shoot buildings and spaces.

I've come to the conclusion that I quite like the apsc trade off and also that I much prefer primes to zooms. It's primarily a matter of handling, framing and size not necessarily image quality. Also the k-3 with limiteds is still possible to casually grab when leaving home. It's not a project bringing it along. I wouldn't mind lenses a fair bit larger than limiteds though.

So looking around for options as I have been for ages. Requirements are minimal distortion ultra wide with good/great sharpness across the frame at f8. Speed is not an issue and I would buy f8 lens if it was good and priced accordingly. The main candidates are
  1. Laowa 12mm f2.8
  2. Irix 15mm f2.4
  3. Future Pentax DA* 11-18 2.8 zoom

They are all fast and huge! The coming pentax is a zoom which makes me unhappy but maybe I should go against my preferences. The irix *firestone* is cheap but soo big and I could use a bit more fov. The laowa is probably my preference but hard to get hold of around here. No one has the K mount in stock to get a feel for it.

So just venting really... and sulking in the knowledge that slow apsc primes is not on anyone's roadmap.

04-14-2018, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
So just venting really... and sulking in the knowledge that slow apsc primes is not on anyone's roadmap.
I think you have to realize what the 15mm Limited is. And that is a superb landscape lens for sunsets and sunrises. Nothing I have ever used comes close. But for architecture? Not the right tool.

I think if I were you I would hold on until the new zoom is released and see what the reviews say. I used to be primarily a prime shooter but have now moved almost entirely to high quality zooms. The big con is the weight, but the simplicity and image quality have made them a necessity for me. And the newer zooms are just as good as any currently available primes in real world shooting.
04-14-2018, 01:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What about the Samyang 16mm f2.0? I've never used one but it was the "other" lens I was considering before I bought a DA 15 SMC.

I love the DA 15 and am considering buying a spare SMC version just to have a second around when needed.
04-14-2018, 01:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

My da 15mm limited is driving me nuts! There's lots to like about it but the corner sharpness is just not good enough. The field curvature and just plain blurry edges make taking a good photo to much hit and miss. Every time I think I've had enough I manage to take a decent photo and start thinking maybe It's just a matter of learning the quirks. But it's not really repeatable unless your subject is arranged in space to fit the optics of the lens. I shoot buildings and spaces.

I've come to the conclusion that I quite like the apsc trade off and also that I much prefer primes to zooms. It's primarily a matter of handling, framing and size not necessarily image quality. Also the k-3 with limiteds is still possible to casually grab when leaving home. It's not a project bringing it along. I wouldn't mind lenses a fair bit larger than limiteds though.

So looking around for options as I have been for ages. Requirements are minimal distortion ultra wide with good/great sharpness across the frame at f8. Speed is not an issue and I would buy f8 lens if it was good and priced accordingly. The main candidates are
  1. Laowa 12mm f2.8
  2. Irix 15mm f2.4
  3. Future Pentax DA* 11-18 2.8 zoom

They are all fast and huge! The coming pentax is a zoom which makes me unhappy but maybe I should go against my preferences. The irix *firestone* is cheap but soo big and I could use a bit more fov. The laowa is probably my preference but hard to get hold of around here. No one has the K mount in stock to get a feel for it.

From your list, the Irix 15mm Blackstone is a beautiful lens. Great optics.
Terry

04-14-2018, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When I was shooting APS-C I was quite happy with my Sigma 8-16 for ultra-wide angle. It's rectilinear so distortion is less pronounced. And the range from 8-16 was very useful. Here's a link to a Pentax Forum comparison review that includes this lens.

Rokinon 8mm vs. 10mm vs. Sigma 8-16mm vs. Pentax 10-17mm Ultra-wide Showdown Review - Sigma 8-16mm Rating | PentaxForums.com Reviews
04-14-2018, 01:25 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@house, I'll agree with you about the challenges that the DA 15 presents in the edges and corners. I'll wonder occasionally whether my technique is way off, but looking at images taken by others reconfirms the nature of this lens.

So, I use the strengths of the DA 15 Limited to advantage - I use it mainly as a 'foreground lens' that allows me to capture a main subject while including the environment in the picture. Here are a couple of examples. Sorry, I don't have suggestions for architecture shots.

04-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think you have to realize what the 15mm Limited is. And that is a superb landscape lens for sunsets and sunrises
Haha that's a more narrow usage scenario than even I would suggets I really like it for environmental portraits, like kids in full mayhem mode and street like photography.

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
What about the Samyang 16mm f2.0?
Moustache distortion. Perhaps sorting it in post works but I find distortion makes precise wide angle framing difficult. Plum verticals are tricky.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think if I were you I would hold on until the new zoom is released and see what the reviews say.
That's the most annoying answer! ;-) Perhaps because it makes so much sense... my anti zoom feelings and da15 replacement urges are mighty strong however.

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
the Irix 15mm Blackstone is a beautiful lens. Great optics.
The Irix has the advantage of being available, cheap (firefly) and good optics.

Still no slow apsc primes however. China hear my lamentations and bring forth a niche product!

04-14-2018, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

DA 14mm 2.8 is somewhat sharper in the corners.
Pentax SMC-DA 14mm f/2.8 ED [IF] - Review / Test Report - Analysis
Pentax SMC-DA 15mm f/4 AL ED Limited - Review / Test Report - Analysis
04-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haha that's a more narrow usage scenario than even I would suggets I really like it for environmental portraits, like kids in full mayhem mode and street like photography.
Of course, I don't mean to belittle it at all. It was one of my favorite lenses. But don't expect sharp straight lines in the corners.

That's the most annoying answer! ;-) Perhaps because it makes so much sense... my anti zoom feelings and da15 replacement urges are mighty strong however.
I know the feeling. At one time I had a complete set of DA Limited's. Pure joy to use. But as this became less a hobby I moved over to zooms and have found the image quality just as good. The weight is still an issue but nothings perfect. I still have a good assortment of Pentax-A and F primes but rarely use them, the zooms are much easier to work with.
04-14-2018, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

Laowa 15mm macro? Only because it has shift, and for architecture purposes, that it a useful feature...

Though on a personal note, I prefer primes unless I am shooting UWA. Small changes in focal length make an enormous difference to the look of the picture on the wide end, so a zoom is eminently practical.
04-14-2018, 04:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yours must be from the same batch as mine

I gave up on the DA15 - my cheapo DA16-45 is much better.
04-14-2018, 06:44 PM   #12
Forum Member

You are in the same boat as me. I like the style of the way the lens is designed, like it’s compact size and small filter thread, but I just can’t rely on it to produce a sharp image. I don’t even demand amazing sharpness, but even at f/11 with care taken in focussing the edges are actually blurry.

It’s just not a landscape/ architectural lens. If there was a similar sized lens with better performance for these genres I would buy it in a heartbeat. It seems you have to double or triple the size for any other modern wide prime before you even consider performance.
04-14-2018, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To paraphrase Clint Eastwood, "a man's got to know his (lens') limitations"

The DA15 is wonderful for what it does well, and in a tiny package. But it was not designed to be an ultra-wide one-stop shop. That said, there is a difference between critically sharp and sharp enough. My copy is good enough for my needs - mind you, that is after it went back to Japan for a service....

Two of the above images are hanging at home at A3 size. No one has commented on the soft corners.

But if you really want an APS-C ultra-wide with better corners, the DA14 or Sigma 8-16 would be my suggestions. Each has its own limitations too of course.
04-14-2018, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Pentax DA 16-45mm f/4 is a very good performer, even wide open, edge-to-center. Also consider the DA 12-24mm f/4 which is likewise so. The main advantage of the DA 15mm f/4 Limited is its amazingly small size for portability. But edges don't start to sharpen up until f/5.6, and by f/8 are tested as excellent.

Nice shots, Sandy!

I love my tiny DA 15mm LTD. I am also very fond of my DA 12-24mm when I don't mind carrying the larger size.
04-14-2018, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I think instead of moaning about the compromises of little lenses (49mm on the DA15) you get serious.

The DA*11-18 is obvious if you can wait or the Irix 15mm f2.4 if you can't.

I have the Irix ... it's great, but if I shoot an event I go with the DA12-24 which is autofocus.