Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2018, 02:41 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax 31mm F1.8 - Sell or Not

I was offered an excellent Sigma 35mm F1.4 ART lens at an excellent price. However, I already have the 31mm FA Limited and not sure whether I should get the Sigma.

The Sigma seems to be fast focussing with nearly silent. Sharpness seems to be better and less CA. It probably lacks the character of 31mm FA Limited..

Since I have no intention to keep both the lenses (If I am getting Sigma, I may sell 31mm FA Limited), I am looking for your suggestions on the comparisons of these two lenses.

-Emsee

04-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some prefer one, some the other. I think you have to get it, try them both, and decide for yourself based on how you use the FL.
04-15-2018, 02:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

What Kozlok said. It all comes down to personal preference. Have a look at these previous discussions:

FA Ltd 31 vs. Sigma Art 35 - PentaxForums.com

New video review: Pentax 31mm f1.8 limited Vs Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art lens on K1 - PentaxForums.com

Also ask yourself the following questions:

- have you ever felt your 31 Ltd wasn’t sharp enough?
- have you ever found the CAs of your 31 Ltd annoying and not fixable in post?
- have you ever been in a situation where AF noise was annoying or even kept you from taking the shot?

If the answer to all those questions is no just keep your 31 and be happy. It’s one of the best lenses ever made.

Last edited by alpheios; 04-15-2018 at 03:15 PM.
04-15-2018, 03:18 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote
What Kozlok said. It all comes down to personal preference. Have a look at these previous discussions:

FA Ltd 31 vs. Sigma Art 35 - PentaxForums.com

New video review: Pentax 31mm f1.8 limited Vs Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art lens on K1 - PentaxForums.com

Also ask yourself the following questions:

- have you ever felt the need for more sharpness from your 31 Ltd?
- have you ever found the CAs of your 31 Ltd annoying and not fixable in post?
- have you ever been in a situation where AF noise was annoying or even kept you from taking the shot?

If the answer to all those questions is no just keep your 31 and be happy

Thanks. These help me a lot.

I did not find the CA that much bad (non-fixable) based on my experience. Yes, CA is there but with tools it is fixable.

Focusing noise does matter to me.

I will read these reviews and make a decision.

---------- Post added 04-15-18 at 06:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Some prefer one, some the other. I think you have to get it, try them both, and decide for yourself based on how you use the FL.
May be I should rent the Sigma 35mm for a week and decide on it. FL wise it is a good for me.

04-15-2018, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #5
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emsee Quote
Pentax 31mm F1.8 - Sell or Not
A lens does not necessarily have to be perfect, it is essential to have a good feeling with it.
If you have the opportunity to try them both would be a good starting point.
04-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both lenses are excellent. I think one of the main points to consider is size / weight. I personally prefer the Sigma's bokeh (which makes it a nice portrait lens on crop cameras), but the FA 31mm is just so well-built and compact that I prefer it overall. Plus, you get in-camera correction profiles with the Pentax lens, which is nice.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-15-2018, 06:46 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've both, Emsee. The Sigma is sharper but is *much* bigger and heavier.

The 31 is a Limited and sometimes I just don't want to lug a lot of weight and bulk around.

04-15-2018, 07:52 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Both lenses are excellent. I think one of the main points to consider is size / weight. I personally prefer the Sigma's bokeh (which makes it a nice portrait lens on crop cameras), but the FA 31mm is just so well-built and compact that I prefer it overall. Plus, you get in-camera correction profiles with the Pentax lens, which is nice.
Thanks.

Oh..I forgot about the in-camera correction profiles..Yes, it is important. I can use profiles for Sigma in Lightroom but I am not much excited about that..
04-15-2018, 08:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have both too. I prefer the FA31 for general use for its size, weight and out of focus rendering.
If I really want something to snap out of the background with razor sharpness though, the Sigma is the weapon of choice.

I'll be keeping them both until Pentax eventually releases a 35/1.4 of their own. I won't be holding my breath