Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2018, 05:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tamron 85mm VC lens vs Pentax IS (5 axis)

I just watched this vid;

Could be an oldie (vid), I'm just curious, never heard of this 'VC' feature on a lens before.

Two take away messages from the vid clip;

1) From what I gather it (VC) allows even lower shutter speeds than normally recommended for handheld shots. How does this compare with Pentax? I get the impression Pentax (especially newer models) are really flying the flag high for IS/SR. Basically are our camera bodies already containing superior tech to this 'VC'? Can we get VC lenses for K Mount also? What shutter speeds do people shoot at?

2) I found it interesting when he was talking about how many success shots he was getting at certain shutter speeds, the higher he went up the higher the percentage of keepers. We all know the 1/50th for a 50mm, 1/100th for a 100mm etc, but then he touched on the high resolution of sensors of cameras like the K-1 (36mp), and how some won't drop below 1/250th regardless of focal length attached etc. What's other peoples opinion on this? Do/should we have higher shutter speeds for our k-1's vs kp's?

Cheers,

Bruce

04-17-2018, 06:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
VC is just in-lens image stabilization....used by Nikon, Canon, Sigma, Tamron and others, each with their own name. They use additional internal elements in the lens to stabilize the image, which is why with in-lens stabilization the image appears less jittery on the sensor than it does vs in-camera stabilization, which happens via sensor movement. Each have their pluses and minuses.

If you have in-camera image stabilization, it is advised that you don't combine it with in-lens stabilization...you'd chose one or the other. It has been said that in-lens does better at longer focal lengths, but I'm not sure how true that is anymore with 5-axis in-camera stabilization.
04-17-2018, 07:05 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some older 3rd party lenses worked with VC on or off via a lens switch. Those models would work both ways - essentially you disabled in body stabilization to use in lens and vice versa.

Optical in lens has an advantage in longer focal length use both because the image is less jittery in the viewfinder and because it is a bit more effective.

In body has the advantage in that all lenses are always able to be stabilized not just some.

M43 and some others have moved to Dual stabilization using optical and sensor movement combined. The results are mixed in teats I've seen with only slight advantage if any over either system alone.
04-17-2018, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Can we get VC lenses for K Mount also?
Sigma and Tamron usually drop the stabilization from K-mount and Sony Alpha-mount versions of their lenses, probably because Pentax and Sony have never publicized a way to synergize in-lens stabilization with in-body stabilization. So if any, there aren't many.

For reference:
Canon = IS (Image Stabilization)
Nikon = VR (Virtual Reality Vibration Reduction)
Pentax = SR (Shake Reduction)
Sony = OSS (Optical SteadyShot)
Sigma = OS (Operating System Optical Stabiilization)
Tamron = VC (Vibration Compensation)
Fujifilm, Samsung, Panasonic = OIS (Optical Image Stabilization?)

---------- Post added 04-17-18 at 10:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
M43 and some others have moved to Dual stabilization using optical and sensor movement combined. The results are mixed in teats I've seen...
You should know that camera/lens stabilization won't freeze a bouncing subject.
Ironically (since normally this wouldn't help either), what a case like this calls for is better support.

I am going to hell

Last edited by Scintilla; 04-17-2018 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Qualified my statement