Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2018, 12:34 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
FA43 lore question

So the early FA43s are said to be "special" -- in that they had the lead in the glass and a different/better look. I don't recall the details of which these were, lower serial numbers, but lower than what? I was looking into this a long time ago, when I got my FA43, but it seems that the articles with those details may be gone from the web.

But my real question is, were any of the black FA43s the "special" ones, or were they only silver?

04-20-2018, 01:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think these arn't that special. Here is a thread about it:
FA 43 - quality of low serial number versions much better? - PentaxForums.com
04-20-2018, 02:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some early versions had a different color tint when looking on the front lens.
Whatever this results is another matter.
The consensus seem to be that this has about the same influence as the color of the (faux) leather pouch. Early numbers had a brown pouch...

Seb, 43 MIJ + black pouch owner
04-20-2018, 03:44 AM - 7 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

I sought out an early one.... it makes 70yo’s look like LeRolls models.

An as new low serial no one from japan is cheaper here (Australia) then new..... so might as well live the brand, both by head and heart.

Last edited by noelpolar; 04-20-2018 at 04:19 AM.
04-20-2018, 04:05 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I may have to eat my hat on my original reply that the "special ones" were copies under 10000. I'm digging through notes, and that may be 20000 before the change. I'm trying to get together what I have and if I can post it without copyright violation, I will. I have an archived copy of a no longer existing blog that a friend passed on to me.

I originally replied with the following, but this is most likely wrong - leaving for reference:

My understanding is it is copies under serial number 10000, and I think the first ones (under 5000?) were only silver. I have a silver copy with a serial number under 5000 and love it, but I have never done a comparison with a later one - only one I've handled is the one I own.

I have a copy of an article about this. I'll dig around and see if I can find it online and post the link if I do.

Last edited by clickclick; 04-20-2018 at 05:38 AM. Reason: trying to get it right....
04-20-2018, 07:13 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't even find / afford all the regular lenses I want, never mind color match them :-)

The k1000, with the silver FA 43mm does like very nice though, but so does a 50mm f1.2. No wonder all this stuff gets sooo expensive.
04-20-2018, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my OPINION as owner of silver FA43’s 0000831 and 0011208 there is no distinguishable variance in their image quality. #831 sems to have a different, bluer coating cast, but is that attributable to glass tweaks, coating tweaks or imagination?

I believe it is unknown how many higher lead content blanks Pentax had on hand before the EU prohibited manufacture of such glass, and unknown how many copies Pentax had in stock before final sale was prohibited.

But I’ll hang on to the older lens ‘just in case’.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-21-2018 at 07:19 PM.
04-20-2018, 07:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I sought out an early one.... it makes 70yo’s look like LeRolls models.

An as new low serial no one from japan is cheaper here (Australia) then new..... so might as well live the brand, both by head and heart.
Goodness Noel, you really do have an early one.

It would be interesting to know if the early ones really are better, but certainly they are great!
04-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I may have to eat my hat on my original reply that the "special ones" were copies under 10000. I'm digging through notes, and that may be 20000 before the change. I'm trying to get together what I have and if I can post it without copyright violation, I will. I have an archived copy of a no longer existing blog that a friend passed on to me.
I think I found references to that blog, which would seemingly have a comparison of photo differences between the allegedly "special" type vs. regular. But of course that would only be a single data point by one person.
04-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In my OPINION as owner of silver FA43’s 0000831 and 0011208 there is no distinguishable variance in their image quality.
Well, if the change was at 20,000, then both of your copies would be "special". I won't be able to resolve my notes until later today.
04-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fun to see how we as a group either find coatings to be a huge deal or a non-issue depending on the discussion. Those who don't want to buy "old junky pre-digital Limiteds" due to pre-digital coatings (vs modern D FA and newer star lenses)...or those of us trying to represent the earlier coating as better. Just a guess, but is the earlier coating a standard 7 layer SMC and the newer coating the 8 layer Hoya-era reincarnation of SMC (didn't they change the term to HMC?). Some posts back in the day claimed the early coating on the 43 was different than the normal 7 layer SMC coating? And where does "ghostless" coating fit in this discussion? Are early 43's pre-ghostless and later versions with ghostless?

Then folks like Axl conduct actual tests and tell us that side-by-side images shot through old and new are in fact slightly different. This is backed up by our friend Frank's '08 reiteration of the Taiwanese photogs who shot and posted examples proving the difference. Paraphrased to "older coating version renders warmer." These are two independent tests that confirm a difference...are we to shout down the tests as not really proof or not truly scientific? And how do we resolve those results with Monochrome's tests that show little or no difference? Of course, shooting conditions, angle of light, color temp of light etc. all skew tests by advocates and pooh poohers alike.

Here's what I know...I've had an early version 43, 77 and 31 since each was originally released. I like them very much. Does any of the rest of the discussion matter? Probably not to me 'cause I ain't selling those "extra value" early versions.

Something I've always contended seems to be born out in the recent retest of the 43 on this forum...To me, the original Limited models really shine when stopped down into the "diffraction zone" of f. 16 and f. 22. Set the new camera bodies for diffraction correction of lenses that already exhibit minimal diffraction and you have landscape capability that exceeds expectations in these small formats we all use nowadays. Have to admit I miss the 67II bodies shooting a format that made landscape work practically a sexual experience. But the Limited series plays the landscape game so well, I have to restate it (since so many only consider them as portrait lenses--note that the hype for the initial release of the 43 was not focused on portraits, nor was the 31. The 77 was almost entirely marketed as a "fashion photography" lens which some perceive as portraits due to the close shooting distance. To me, the original marketing pitch for the 77 was about color rendition and pop without losing color accuracy in colorful fashion shoots, not simply as a lens for school yearbook portraits.

Another thing is for certain...owners of the FA Limited lenses--whether newer versions or older versions--almost universally like the images produced through these wonderful little optics. After all, that's really the point!
04-20-2018, 10:39 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@Ron Boggs. My statement is an impression, not the result of a controlled test. There’s always the issue of whether my eyes, even after cataract lens replacement surgery, can distinguish any difference in rendering - notwithstanding the possibility that both my lenses might be ‘old’ lenses. I do have an ‘old’ 77 I could test vs a 2014 AIV 77 though.

I have always said, though, that K lenses render noticeably warmer than A lenses (and that the M50/1.4 especially has a discernable bluish cast versus my sample of the K50/1.4).

You are quite correct about the FA Limiteds generally - they’re all special lenses.
04-21-2018, 10:10 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Monochrome, Was name dropping you less as a tester and more as a reputable testimonial (yes, I used the word "test" but meant "testimonial" I wish more people would read minds on this forum.) A full-on test, with color rendering measurements and flare measurements, ghosting assessment etc. could resolve this question once and for all, but knowing myself, I'd still find a way to continue the discussion...

I suppose the cynical comment could be that the quality of the tan pouch for early 43's is very clearly higher than the thin-skinned, floppy simple black pouches now being shipped. The pebbly faux leather finish on the tan pouch just reeks with quality and that alone makes a 20 year old early Japanese version 43 a gem worth hundreds more than some gizmo built just last month.
04-21-2018, 12:13 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Hey Monochrome, Was name dropping you less as a tester and more as a reputable testimonial (yes, I used the word "test" but meant "testimonial" I wish more people would read minds on this forum.) A full-on test, with color rendering measurements and flare measurements, ghosting assessment etc. could resolve this question once and for all, but knowing myself, I'd still find a way to continue the discussion...

I suppose the cynical comment could be that the quality of the tan pouch for early 43's is very clearly higher than the thin-skinned, floppy simple black pouches now being shipped. The pebbly faux leather finish on the tan pouch just reeks with quality and that alone makes a 20 year old early Japanese version 43 a gem worth hundreds more than some gizmo built just last month.
And I forgot the Smilie. I once passed on an opportunity to buy the complete set in the colored pouches. I figured the pouches just look special in the camera bag.

I’m partial to the 43 despite what everyone says about the other two.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-21-2018 at 07:08 PM.
04-21-2018, 01:13 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is not a good conversation for me. I have a newer version of the 43, and since there may be a difference, I’m looking at a couple on eBay that have serial numbers in the 2000s. Not that I need another copy of one of my favorite lenses or anything...