Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2018, 02:27 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA 560mm 5.6 AW - useful accessoires

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

1. Build length & transport (lens backpack)

With 52,17cm length
HD DA 560mm is the third longest pentax fixed focal lens. The 600/4 construction from Pentax & CaNikon are shorter than 46cm.
So the included lens bag only fits the lens without camera body. The soft bag material doesn't protect the lens very good from pushes or pressure.
For the transport of camera, tripod, tripod head, second lens and accessoires, additional bags or an special backpack are neccessary.

Solution:
An used Lowepro Lens Trekker II AW offers the most common und cheapest transport solution with mounted camera (125-175€). Inner measurements of
Lens Trekker version I arent't sufficent enough and version III is much more expensive new (230€) and used copies rare to find.
An very useful equipment of the Lens Trekker II is the "adjustable and removable camera holder". Olympus Germany was so kind to send me two additional vecro camera holders on request for free (from 2018 on Manfrotto Distribution is responsible for distribution and service of Lowepro products).
With three of the velcro holders it's possible to fix the DA in the Lowepro Lens Trekker AW against movement.

2. Disguise / painting protection (lens protect)

The white lens painting is used for higher heat-absorbing during sunshine, so that the material expansion and following disadvantages of the optical quality can be reduced.
The higher conspicuity from higher light reflexions are the disadvantage of the bright paint color. The long barrel length with it's greater surface increases the susceptibility to scratches.

Solution:
LensCoat neoprene protection with different colors and prints to choose are available for the DA 560mm from two shops (lenscoat.com & outdoorphotographygear.co.uk).
Outdoor Photography Gear with 55€ including shipping to EU is 25€ cheaper than lenscoat with 80€.

3. front lens diameter (Hood Cap)

For storage and transport the front lens cap is recommended to use on the lens to protect the expansive front element.
The included front lens cap made of textile fit's very neatly. Using an neoprene lens protection makes the incuded lens cap hard to fit the outer dimensions of the front of the lens.

Solution:
LensCoat Hoodie XX Large (19€), outdoorphotographygear Soft Neoprene lens hood cap Size 4 (20€) or OP/Tech Hood Hat XX-Large ($11) does fit the DA 560mm + neoprene cover very well.

4. Balance point (lens plate)

Tripod head is facing away from the balance point, so to mount the lens well balanced on a tripod head an lens plate is neccesary.
The balance point is as further away from the tripod collar as heavier the camera gets. K-1 with D-BG6 and eventually flashlight would be the maximum of counterweight.

Solution:
An 20cm long lens plate is recommended when working with the K-1. Shorter plates aren't a good idea because of less or no reserve for heavier camera bodies and less space to secure it with all three mounting holes on the lens tripod mount.
Benro PU200 or Genesis PLA-200 are the only brands offering 20cm length with Arca-Swiss compatibility. Depending on the shop they're available for 20-30€.

5. Tripod head

Due to the distribution of the mass to more than 60 cm in the ready-to-use state with camera, an attachment and alignment after the center of gravity is absolutely recommended in order to enable safe use. Ball heads can not do this, because the center of gravity of the lens is well above the tripod head and this simultaneously allows unwanted vertical and horizontal tilt of the lens.

Solution:
The use of a gimbal head is recommended. This allows separate control of horizontal / vertical alignment, center of gravity alignment and self-stabilization of the lens when not in use.
The Andoer BK-45 offers with 60 € the cheapest entry with usable quality. In contrast, the ProMediaGear GK Katana Gimbal offers optimum stability and handling for 600 €.

While using a monopod instead of a tripod, two-way-heads are more lightweight and compact than gimbals. Horizontal pan can be done by turning the monopod.
Most cheapest but useful
two-way-head is the Andoer VH-10 for 47€. The Kirk MPA-2 Monopod Head offers the best possible option regarding functionality, usability and quality for just 245€ (a very good gimbal head is around 600€).

6. Front lens filter

The huge 130mm front lens can be protection during use with the integrated retractable lens hood. Additional protection is possible by add an filter into the existing 112mm filter thread of the front lens.

Solution:
The
Tokina hydrophilic filters does offer the most advanced coating for an regular price of 360€. But the 112mm version is also offered as occasion for just 70€.
A regular Marumi MC Normal UV for 70€ or the advanced B&W F-PRO UV for 150€ does protect the DA 560mm as well.

Last edited by angerdan; 12-08-2018 at 04:39 AM.
05-06-2018, 01:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for putting all of this together.
05-07-2018, 01:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Interesting how we came to more less similar accessories.

What I'm using...:
1) Lens Trekker 600 AW III
2) LensCoat LCP560M4
3) ....
4) Wimberley quick release plate P-50 (and I surely wouldn't recommend any shorter one; I also have to mention that I don't use the battery grip)
5) tripod head - Wimberley WH-200-S Sidemount (gimbal)
monopod head - Kirk MPA-2
6) I decided not to buy any front lens filter (the lens hood protects the front lens good enough when pushed out)

Concerning the neoprene hood cap - thanks for the tips. Based on your personal experience, is the Soft Neoprene lens hood cap Size 4 fitting well? I'd probably consider size 3 (looking at the description "13.5 - 14.4cm").
05-07-2018, 07:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Concerning the neoprene hood cap - thanks for the tips. Based on your personal experience, is the Soft Neoprene lens hood cap Size 4 fitting well? I'd probably consider size 3 (looking at the description "13.5 - 14.4cm").
I'd buy two time a LensCoat Hoodie with to small size, but i don't have experience with the outdoorphotographygear Soft Neoprene lens hood cap.
Did find out about the Soft Neoprene lens hood cap after i already did buy the Hoodie.

Last edited by angerdan; 07-02-2018 at 01:15 PM.
07-02-2018, 09:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I’m also using the Lowepro Lens Trekker III now and then. It is big. If you are looking for one, you should probably test it in a B&M store first. Because it is big.
07-02-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Boy, I wish I could afford to consider accessories for this lens!
07-02-2018, 02:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The filter holder starts with 80 pounds..
Filter Holder for DA 560mm lens

10-02-2019, 07:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
For use with a tripod i'd recommend the Gitzo fluid gimbal head GHFG1:
gitzo.com/uk-en/gimbal-fluid-head-ghfg1/

06-03-2021, 12:04 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Check out this copy of an german Pentaxian who modified his DA560:
DigitalFotoNetz.de :: Thema anzeigen - smc DA 560mm F/5.6 ED AW
06-04-2021, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My experience to date, while only after 10 months of use, is that too much is made of the mounting of the lens on a tripod, and carrying in a backpack.

I spent the first two days setting up my lens with a 168mm lens plate for the arca Swiss adaptor on my jobo jr gimbal mount, but at the same time I ordered an extra strap and attachments for my optech strap system, and found that with a long foam padded strap, over the neck and shoulder and cross body, I can carry the lens ready to shoot, (which I think is where you want it) and a smaller pack with other gear (second body, 28-75, 702-00/2.8 and 2xTC) on my back. Longest track so far is 3 hours and over 10km. After the second day, I have NEVER put the lens on a tripod, the lens is very hand holdable, by putting the foot to the top and your hand between the foot and the lens.

Still looking for a big back pack not so much for hiking as such, but for transport of the lens plus other parts of my kit

As for cammo I have not found the need, birds don’t seem to care.

The link to the German fellow with the “double mount” is interesting because it eliminates, if done properly the vibration of the lens plate. It looks like a third party canon 100mm macro tripod mount, but I think the better option would be to custom make a thicker lens plate, most are 8-10mm thick, and I am looking to make a 13mm (1/2 inch) thick plate out of standard aluminum bar stock. Just have not gotten to it. I might make one out of maple first to mock it up.

If and when I go back to a tripod mount, what I have found from past experience with my Tamron SP 200-500/5.6 is that the swing arm on the gimbal is too flexible and adds too much vibration, I have removed the swing arm and put the arca Swiss mount directly onto the swing arm pivot. Lens is side mounted but otherwise balanced and with full swings and tilts and no vibration.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 06-04-2021 at 03:50 AM.