Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2018, 08:15 PM   #1

Sigma 17-50mm question

After some deliberation, I've decided to get the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 to use with my KP. I saw that there are two version of the lens for Pentax - one with stabilization and one without. I know that the in-lens stabilization won't work with the in body stabilization but I'm wondering how the stabilized lens will interact with Pixel Shift? Would using the stabilized lens lens let me use Pixel Shift handheld? Does that even make sense or am I misunderstanding how it all works?

04-20-2018, 08:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vandon Quote
I'm wondering how the stabilized lens will interact with Pixel Shift?
Since pixel shift requires a tripod, stabilization (whether in-lens or in-camera) should be disabled. Otherwise it could negatively impact the final product.

QuoteOriginally posted by Vandon Quote
Would using the stabilized lens lens let me use Pixel Shift handheld?
The KP is not equipped with this feature (Dynamic Pixel Shift came out on the K-1 II). Given the tolerances involved, it would be a longshot to expect any improvement to image quality using PS hand-held without DPS.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-20-2018, 11:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I have the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM without stabilization, also mainly for use with my KP and as a matchup with my Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 lens. Sigma apparently omits the stabilization with this lens for Pentax because of Pentax bodies having SR. I got a great deal from B&H.

My impression is my copy is performing extremely well. Build quality is very good, images are sharp, AF is quiet, sure, and fast. I was not aware the same lens is available in Pentax mount having stabilization, but to me that would be redundant in a lens of this FL especially, and it would entail some on-lens switches and controls, making assembly more complex. The less un-needed complexity in construction might also make quality control easier and more precise. If I saw one offered for Pentax having stabilization, I would suspect the possibility of its being a previous model Sigma lens.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-20-2018 at 11:50 PM.
04-21-2018, 03:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yep, sigma removed OS on most modern Pentax Mount lenses, other than the bigma style 500mm type ones.

Sadly sensor shift stabilisation doesn’t work in video mode on Pentax bodies, so there would still have been a place for it if Sigma had continued to include it.

As above though, you should only use one style of stabilisation at a time, and definitely have it off on a tripod, so not including OS is easier to work with for stills.

04-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You probably can't use Pixel Shift handheld in that scenario; with PS it uses the sensor movement to adjust for the individual PS shots, and having the lens doing OIS would probably screw that up.
04-22-2018, 12:22 PM   #6
Pentaxian

This newer, current Sigma version features their newer FLD glass technology, which is an advancement over their more traditional SLD glass, in correcting optical abnormalities for better all-around performance. I've read it has tested having virtually no field curvature, for instance, which means good focus at center point will indicate likewise good focus at the edges of the frame as well, at the same distance. Higher field curvature in a lens of this kind is rather common, so this is a real plus for this Sigma model.
04-23-2018, 10:21 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank's everyone. I'm going to go for the newer non-stabilized lens.
04-24-2018, 02:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I also have the non-stabilised version and have been extremely pleased with it so far - great build quality, excellent image quality and the near-silent focusing is lovely. I'd thoroughly recommend it. For short focal length like this I wouldn't be concerned about the lack of stabilisation.