Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2019, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I don't know how well the lenses and accessories are protected, though...
This are some of the general informations pentax did publish:
About those WR body weather seals...User responsibility and best practice - PentaxForums.com

10-10-2019, 12:45 PM   #17
Pentaxian

We've dropped my K-3s into the bodies of boats that had an inch of water in them. I don't recommend it but, I didn't suffer any damage either.

As I recall , the takeaway from lens rentals is that a plastic mount is much easier to repair. Often damages to a metal mount ruins the whole most, usually a plastic back plate only ruins the back plate. And most people claiming they would only use metal mounts have no idea how much plastic there is in their mount. Oh and they found no functional difference between metal and plastic. Modern high strength plastics can be quite good.

This is now an issue that I for the most part I ignore.

I have some 20 year old all plastic mounts that are still going strong.
10-10-2019, 01:04 PM   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
This are some of the general informations pentax did publish:
About those WR body weather seals...User responsibility and best practice - PentaxForums.com
Sure. I contributed in that thread, I believe. But my statement was with regard to other brands, in response to your question
10-10-2019, 01:06 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
We've dropped my K-3s into the bodies of boats that had an inch of water in them. I don't recommend it but, I didn't suffer any damage either.

As I recall , the takeaway from lens rentals is that a plastic mount is much easier to repair. Often damages to a metal mount ruins the whole most, usually a plastic back plate only ruins the back plate. And most people claiming they would only use metal mounts have no idea how much plastic there is in their mount. Oh and they found no functional difference between metal and plastic. Modern high strength plastics can be quite good.

This is now an issue that I for the most part I ignore.

I have some 20 year old all plastic mounts that are still going strong.
Its just human bias. Metal is just perceived as higher quality. I had a lens that was full plastic fall outside of the elements fall about 4 feet onto a ceramic floor with no damage. It just bounced.

10-10-2019, 01:16 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I keep saying that my plastic fantastics hold up better than my limiteds over time.
10-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Modern high strength plastics can be quite good.
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I keep saying that my plastic fantastics hold up better than my limiteds over time.
I hate to admit it, but my DA 50/1.8 took a dive off my kitchen deck counter (a full 36") a few days ago, courtesy of an errant roll of paper towels. Amazingly, it bounced on the pergo floor, probably almost a foot, followed by more bouncing. I was expecting a mess of fractures and scattered shards, the rear cap being off and all the mount goodies being exposed. Amazingly, the lens survived with nary a scratch nor a crack and works as well as ever.

That being said, I have a couple of older plastic lenses that have been a victim of their materials not aging well.

Steve

(...I can still see it bouncing and twirling in mid-air when I think of the accident...)
10-11-2019, 11:50 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I hate to admit it, but my DA 50/1.8 took a dive off my kitchen deck counter (a full 36") a few days ago, courtesy of an errant roll of paper towels. Amazingly, it bounced on the pergo floor, probably almost a foot, followed by more bouncing. I was expecting a mess of fractures and scattered shards, the rear cap being off and all the mount goodies exposed. Amazingly, the lens survived with nary a scratch nor a crack and works as well as ever.

That being said, I have a couple of older plastic lenses that have been a victim of their materials not aging well.

Steve

(...I can still see it bouncing and twirling in mid-air when I think of the accident...)
That's amazing, your vivid description makes me almost see it bounce.

I have to say I didn't expect it to hold up to that sort of thing 8-/

Most plastics don't take uv very well. The mount itself should be reasonably protected.