Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2018, 01:31 AM   #1
Pentaxian

LensRentals.com - Plastic Mounts, WR and Professional Grade II

Since keeping old threads alive isn't well accepted here in the forum, i'd like to talk about the weather sealing topic from this lensrental.com article:
LensRentals | Assumptions, Expectations, and Plastic Mounts
LensRentals.com - Plastic Mounts, WR and Professional Grade - PentaxForums.com

It seems that back in 2013, lensrentals didn't talk with Pentax about WR, DA* and AW lenses. The DA 560mm AW had been released back in 2012, so there have been several topics to talk about.
QuoteOriginally posted by Author: Roger Cicala:
But I haven’t seen one manufacturer yet tell us exactly what weather their lens is sealed against. Snow? Rain? Sunshine? Wind?
This are some of the general informations pentax did publish:
About those WR body weather seals...User responsibility and best practice - PentaxForums.com

04-21-2018, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Of course, manufacturers brag a lot but don't actually warrant damage should it happen. But I think videos like this go a long way in showing that there's a little more than pure marketing going on behind the scenes

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-21-2018, 05:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

As discussed before I think lensrentals is splitting hairs on what mount means. The common usage means the bayonet (or M42/M39 or breech lock). When people refer to Pentax K, or Minolta SR/MD, or Canon EOS/FD or Nikon F mounts they are referring to the bayonet and not the studs on the lens barrel/base that holds the screws that hold the bayonet/breech lock/M39/M42. If mount means the part where the bayonet is attached to the lens then by definition all lens are screwmount and certainly not proprietary to camera make/brand/model. Of course the bayonet could be integrated, glued or welded to the lens base. And does anybody use plastic screws?
04-21-2018, 05:51 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Of course, manufacturers brag a lot but don't actually warrant damage should it happen. But I think videos like this go a long way in showing that there's a little more than pure marketing going on behind the scenes

PENTAX DUST AND WEATHER SEALING IN AFGHANISTAN - YouTube
We did Antelope Canyon during a sand storm with a Pentax K 5, a small point and shout and a video camera Panasonic TM700.

The only survivor was the K 5

04-21-2018, 06:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
‘we put a strip of foam rubber behind the front and rear elements and scotch tape over the access holes under the rubber rings’.

Best description I've ever seen
04-21-2018, 06:23 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a newbie

so I have a lot to learn

no doubt about it

yet I know that you must take steps to protect your equipment ---------- any equipment

and hope when, and usually it is when, something happens, you are protected if you have a warranty

however most of my lenses are purchased " experienced " without any warranty

so I am very happy with Pentax " construction "

especially of its K 3 and the SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM which survived a drop from waist high ( I'm 5 ' 11" ) due to my errors with only

scratches to a protective filter ( no damage to the lens' outer threads at all ) and a lens hood where an attachment point was broken

so when it comes to "W R " or " A W " or other " magic " letters indicating __________________________ as promised by the manufacturer

take heed

and

take care

avoid putting your equipment to the test unless necessary and be willing to accept the consequences if you do
04-21-2018, 07:14 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Resident fiddler
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gerardbaron Quote
We did Antelope Canyon during a sand storm with a Pentax K 5, a small point and shout and a video camera Panasonic TM700.

The only survivor was the K 5
Voice activated?
04-21-2018, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

PENTAX DUST AND WEATHER SEALING IN AFGHANISTAN - YouTube
Professional at work...kids, don't try this at home!

Steve

04-21-2018, 12:37 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The costcutting construction method of screwing a metal bayonet to a metal lens body is a terrible compromise. All lenses should be made like M42 Takumars, where these parts are a single piece!
04-21-2018, 12:39 PM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The costcutting construction method of screwing a metal bayonet to a metal lens body is a terrible compromise. All lenses should be made like M42 Takumars, where these parts are a single piece!
Whilst I agree in principle, if that's how all lenses were made from now on, I doubt I'd ever be able to afford a new lens again!
04-22-2018, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gerardbaron Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Voice activated?
No, just rather noisy images.
04-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Voice activated?
What do you mean with: voice activated?
04-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We do a lot of point and shout photography...

“Hey, take a picture of that...”

-Eric
06-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Are there other camera system where body, lens, flash, battery grip and infrared remote control are weatherproof?
06-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Are there other camera system where body, lens, flash, battery grip and infrared remote control are weatherproof?
There are none, including Pentax, that are weatherproof - but several bodies from the major manufacturers offer varying degrees of weather resistance. I don't know how well the lenses and accessories are protected, though...