Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2018, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There were some of the same complaints when the aperture ring began to disappear (I was one). But I think the move forward is a good thing.

I’m just a little surprised at the low photo numbers from KP users. Guess it’s time for me to get one.

04-23-2018, 06:22 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Time moves on of course

and it is in the interest of the manufacturer to create new product and desires

but it does seem to be a " changing of times " should Pentax only start producing new lenses with the KAF4 mount

are we reaching a similar turning point as when Pentax went from the screw mount to the K mount systems ?

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I don't think that's a fair comparison. A lack of power zoom features doesn't prevent basic exposure control. Electronic aperture that you can't manipulate is a pretty serious lack of functionality.

Your second point, that there are many kaf3 lenses already available is certainly true.
I'm definitely a newbie but I have to agree 100% with my favorite Uncle on the forum

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here is the number of photos uploaded to the forum from each camera model (this only includes galleries/albums/attachments), so far this year:

PENTAX K-3 1600
PENTAX K-1 1053
PENTAX K-5 789
PENTAX K-3 II 472
PENTAX K-50 358
PENTAX K-5 II 316

. . .

Based on this, 1878 out of 6334 K-series photos (~30%) were taken with incompatible cameras.
in my limited time on the forum I have contributed photos from 3 of the top 6

PENTAX K-3 1600
PENTAX K-1 1053
PENTAX K-5 789
PENTAX K-3 II 472
PENTAX K-50 358
PENTAX K-5 II 316

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-23-2018 at 06:32 AM.
04-23-2018, 06:37 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I personally rarely upload any photos here, I link from Flickr (and yes recent news about that isn't sitting well) so I'm unclear how representative this data is.
04-23-2018, 10:53 AM   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I personally rarely upload any photos here, I link from Flickr (and yes recent news about that isn't sitting well) so I'm unclear how representative this data is.
It's probably quite similar, but I've been meaning to integrate exif info for external photos, so this might be an interesting set of stats to compare.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-23-2018, 11:12 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Regarding flickr, there are K-x and K-5 still common used cameras.
Flickr: Camera Finder: Pentax
04-23-2018, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Maybe K5 and KX are commonly used right now, but this will change significantly within a couple of years. I think dslr bodys are much like pcs, usually they get replaced every couple of years. Those who have old cameras can still buy enough lenses. Looking at it from a buisiness site I think it is way more important to draw new customers by modern products than keeping old customers pleased that dont spent money on new models.
Everytime a standard is changed some people are (rightfully) feeling disadvantaged, but I still think it is important to move on. A camera body that can not handle older lenses however would be complete desaster for Pentax.
04-24-2018, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree that keeping current bodies able to use older lenses is more important than keeping new lenses working on old bodies.

04-24-2018, 07:26 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree that keeping current bodies able to use older lenses is more important than keeping new lenses working on old bodies.
Current bodies able to use older lenses is one reason that Pentax may attract customers since older "experienced " lenses might be more affordable for some than " the latest and brightest "

Older bodies being able to use "the latest and brightest " may be a reason for Pentax customers to stay with the brand

Can anyone say " catch 22"

All together now
04-24-2018, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This was one of the biggest reasons I made the switch to Pentax when digital became the norm. I was able to shoot digital and film side by side with one set of great lenses. And of course, having LBA helped it’s fair share.
06-25-2018, 11:42 AM   #25

Original Poster
My K-S2 had aperture control block. The only lens that worked was the KAF4 lens 55-300. I have been using that camera mostly with that lens. I also used lenses with the aperture ring. These usually required some manipulation to get the correct exposure. After over a year using the camera with the aperture control block, today it started working again. No aperture control block. It works with all my lenses just like it used to. I'm not sure what changed. It could have been taking a lot of pictures with my KAF4 lens. Oh happy day.
06-25-2018, 03:02 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do not see how this is any different from when the SDM lenses came out. The DA*55 was released a decade ago. It has no provision for screwdrive and will not autofocus on bodies older than the K10D for which you need firmware 1.30 to use it. The same is for the 17-70, 18-135, 16-85, 18-50 RE, 20-40 Limited, 18-270, and all of the new DFA lenses. You can not expect Richoh to keep making lenses compatible with out of date camera bodies. The K Mount, I believe, is the last mount to still use an apeture lever. You want better video, better autofocus, then you need an all electronic mount. The other manufacturers did away with apeture lever years ago. It is about time that Pentax does the same. You want to use the newest lenses, you need a newer body.
06-26-2018, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I do not see how this is any different from when the SDM lenses came out.

You want better video, better autofocus, then you need an all electronic mount. You want to use the newest lenses, you need a newer body.
It's way different to the DA* 55, because back in 2008 mainly 6 camera bodies had been affected. But now it would be around 25.
Better autofocus has nothing to do with an all electronic mount, DC, PLM AND SDM III can be used on most cameras since the K10D.
Old screwdrive lenses like FA* 300mm 4.5 are even faster than the DA* 300mm 4.0 with SDM.
06-26-2018, 02:11 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
It's way different to the DA* 55, because back in 2008 mainly 6 camera bodies had been affected. But now it would be around 25.
Better autofocus has nothing to do with an all electronic mount, DC, PLM AND SDM III can be used on most cameras since the K10D.
Old screwdrive lenses like FA* 300mm 4.5 are even faster than the DA* 300mm 4.0 with SDM.
PLM will not work on the older mounts. I believe PLM only goes back to the K3 and K50. You can not keep expecting a company to hold itself back because people do not want to upgrade. When the 17-70 and DA*55 came out in 2008 the K10D was only 2 years old. Now there plenty of used camera bodies out there. The newer cameras still have an apeture control so the older lenses still work on them and that is what is important.
06-26-2018, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The main difference is that the DA* 55 could be used even on the PZ-1 if desired. Any camera with aperture control from the body would work. The change in scope of the mount to all electronic control is more limiting in scope. The DA* 55 couldn't autofocus but could be used on quite a number of cameras. However your point isn't totally misguided. The PLM motor is not part of the KAF4 mount change however just in case that isn't clear. The PLM focus system is not tied to this directly as far as we know.
We also know that PLM is limited to designs with lightweight focus groups - so we don't know how widely this will be able to be adopted.
06-26-2018, 02:24 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cainmh Quote
My K-S2 had aperture control block.
After over a year using the camera with the aperture control block, today it started working again. No aperture control block. It works with all my lenses just like it used to. I'm not sure what changed. It could have been taking a lot of pictures with my KAF4 lens. Oh happy day.
Keep us posted. Hope its stays working.