Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2018, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I do not see how this is any different from when the SDM lenses came out. The DA*55 was released a decade ago. It has no provision for screwdrive and will not autofocus on bodies older than the K10D for which you need firmware 1.30 to use it. The same is for the 17-70, 18-135, 16-85, 18-50 RE, 20-40 Limited, 18-270, and all of the new DFA lenses. You can not expect Richoh to keep making lenses compatible with out of date camera bodies. The K Mount, I believe, is the last mount to still use an apeture lever. You want better video, better autofocus, then you need an all electronic mount. The other manufacturers did away with apeture lever years ago. It is about time that Pentax does the same. You want to use the newest lenses, you need a newer body.
I agree with you. I most likely would have purchased a 55-300 PME lens for my K5iis so I a, personally sorry that Ricoh did not make this happen but I understand there has to be a cutoff point and the company needs to move forward.

06-28-2018, 03:13 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
I agree with you. I most likely would have purchased a 55-300 PME lens for my K5iis so I a, personally sorry that Ricoh did not make this happen but I understand there has to be a cutoff point and the company needs to move forward.
Yeah I'm not sure what there mindset was on that one. Originally even the K3 couldn't use it. It was not until a firmware update later. The K50 got a firmware update but it was still being sold. I imagine their reasoning was that the camera was out of production. Still the K5 was definitely worthy of an update. Of course that would have taken 3 updates I suppose. The K5, K5ii, and K5iis.
06-29-2018, 12:49 PM   #33
Pentaxian

I most likely would have purchased a 55-300 PME lens for my K5iis so I a, personally sorry that Ricoh did not make this happen but I understand there has to be a cutoff point and the company needs to move forward.
You can use the PLM lens on your K-5 II with AF. Aperture will keep open, but it's already not very fast aperture. Pentax K-5 II and HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE - Compatibility | PentaxForums.com
06-29-2018, 02:44 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
You can use the PLM lens on your K-5 II with AF. Aperture will keep open, but it's already not very fast aperture. Pentax K-5 II and HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE - Compatibility | PentaxForums.com
Thanks. I was aware of that but don't want a lens with just one choice of aperture,.

06-29-2018, 02:46 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I Have a K-5 and it's for sale now, to get a KP and the 55-300PLM. It's ok for me as we gain a lot versus the K-5 in low light and high ISO.
06-29-2018, 02:53 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks. I was aware of that but don't want a lens with just one choice of aperture,.
I haven't seen anyone post how it performs with front mounted aperture discs? It wouldn't be terribly difficult and given that it is slow already you could make do with two or three discs if you don't shoot into diffraction.

Here is a thread on DP review that explains how to do this:

How to form a new aperture in front of a lens: DIY and Photo Experiments Forum: Digital Photography Review
06-30-2018, 03:40 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I haven't seen anyone post how it performs with front mounted aperture discs? It wouldn't be terribly difficult and given that it is slow already you could make do with two or three discs if you don't shoot into diffraction.

Here is a thread on DP review that explains how to do this:

How to form a new aperture in front of a lens: DIY and Photo Experiments Forum: Digital Photography Review
It is similar to the Waterhouse stops on a couple of my LF lenses.

07-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
The Pentax K-50, K-S1, K-S2, K-3, K-3 II, and K-1 are supported via a camera firmware update; the Pentax K-70, Pentax KP and all 2017 or newer bodies will work out of the box.
Clearly the electrical connections to control aperture have been incorporated in camera for some time, long before the first fully electronic lens was released, does the reverse apply ?Are there lenses out there that had aperture levers but also electrical aperture connection. Witch of the 7 rim connections does the aperture or is it inside the mount along side the 2 zoom contacts?
07-02-2018, 04:15 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BobSpot Quote
Clearly the electrical connections to control aperture have been incorporated in camera for some time, long before the first fully electronic lens was released, does the reverse apply ?Are there lenses out there that had aperture levers but also electrical aperture connection. Witch of the 7 rim connections does the aperture or is it inside the mount along side the 2 zoom contacts?
Bob the original A series electrical contacts do not include ANY data pins. They really only passively short or insulate the connectors on the lens mount which communicates the maximum f/stop. The newer mount includes a data pin (just one) and then later the Power Zoom contacts were repurposed for focusing motor control(?) and power.

See here. The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
07-03-2018, 10:26 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BobSpot Quote
Clearly the electrical connections to control aperture have been incorporated in camera for some time, long before the first fully electronic lens was released, does the reverse apply ?
Are there lenses out there that had aperture levers but also electrical aperture connection?

Witch of the 7 rim connections does the aperture or is it inside the mount along side the 2 zoom contacts?
Only the 2 "PowerZoom" contacts support transmission of electronical aperture control. So not many lenses before the first DA lenses with SDM have them. But all cameras since the K10D.
Until KAF4 all lenses with integrated AF motor (SDM,DC) have aperture levers and PowerZoom contacts.

The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
10-09-2018, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #41
phs

Fix for aperture block

if they make a KAF4 normal zoom, I'll get one for my K-S2 with aperture block.

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
why would Pentax go away from its strength: the ability to use older camera bodies?
10-09-2018, 09:49 AM   #42

Original Poster
Pentax K-S2 Aperture block

I purchased a Tokina 20-35mm zoom with an aperture ring that works ok with my K-S2 with block. I use the auto mode and set the F at about 5.6. Then I take a photo that has the histogram on preview. I adjust the +/- to get the image I desire. I'm then usually able to take a lot of images without changing much. Here is a Fall Color shoot that I did using this technique and the Tokina lens
09-16-18 Bike ride in search for fall colors - Google Photos

Here is another Fall Color shoot that I did with a Sigma 28-105mm F2.8 zoom using a similar technique.
10-04-18 Fall color Pentax K-S2 Sigma 28-105 mm F2.8 Zoom Lightroom Batch 1 - Google Photos

I became much better at this with practice and now the K-S2 is one of my favorite cameras. The K-1 is sweet too but the K-S2 seems to be a little sharper under some circumstances. I prefer to use the K-S2 with the KAF4 zoom to photograph birds. The pixels are smaller than the K-1. The K-S2 is still a great camera even with the aperture control block.

Mike
10-09-2018, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

Honestly, that aperture lever sticking out the back of the lens is a disaster waiting to happen.
On flicker, K-1 and K-3 bodies with 127 users away are by far the most used bodies. The K-3ii hs 67 users day putting K-3 ar over 200 users a day.
The K-5 has 90 users a day.

There are probably already more cameras with KAF4 capability being used than the older models that do not support KAF4 use. The writing is on the wall. WIth the DFA 50 1.4 coming out in KAF4, that's pretty much strike two. So KAF4 is a long term thing that's expected to be around for years to come. You don't sell a $1000 lens that you aren't going to support.

Strike 3 is sure to follow within the next few years.

The big question is, will there ever be another newly developed KAF3 lens.
The DA 55-300 PLM was the test. They didn't want another SDM fiasco. The 55-300 PLM is a cheaply constructed lens that's the perfect platform for heavy warranty demands. I think KAF4 has passed the test, and can now go into everything out there. I for one won't miss that silly aperture thing sticking out the back of the lens meaning you can't place it back down on a table.
03-16-2019, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wouldn’t partially dismounting them stop them all the way down?

So we can shoot wide open with everything else working or stopped down all the way with nothing else working?

Or am I getting it wrong?

-Eric
03-16-2019, 02:26 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Are you sure it stopped down dismounted? My 55-300 seems alway open. I could be wrong.