Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
No, follow what I wrote in post 17.
Sure will. I printed it.

04-26-2018, 06:24 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I use solid, or 2-4 stop ND filters, to blur motion, which in my case 99% of the time is water(falls). the Fotodiox sytem would be fine for that application and relatively inexpensive compared to the Lee or other square filter options. The problem as I see it, instances in which I would use a grad ND are inherently variable, which is why a square filter system is a must.
I just wanted to clarify how the Fotodiox system works, assuming I'm following what you wrote correctly. Are you thinking it only does the 145mm round filters? It is setup to add holders for square filters to the round filter mount. You can still use one round filter while using two square filters, so you can position the horizon on a graduated ND where ever you like. You can check it out here:

FotodioX WonderPana FreeArc Core Unit WNDPNFA66CORE-KIT-TMR1530

Hope this is helpful.
04-27-2018, 08:49 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
A very sensible concern Terry. You can always look on ebay and try for a second hand kit. But I view purchases of expensive photographic equipment as an asset. A depreciating one I admit, but if you feel you are not getting the use out of it you can sell it on.

Get the minimum kit to start with, and adapter, filter holder and two or three filters and go from there. I would suggest 2 and 3 stop grads with a soft gradation. A hard gradation works better if you have a hard line between the brighter area of the picture.
Hi Peter,
I have my Lee system picked out, and would like to get your opinion before I make the purchase. 1. SW50 Mark II Filter System. 2. 150 X 170 Soft Edge Grad ND Set: 1,2,3 Stop Exposure Reductions. 3. Big Stopper. 4. Little Stopper. 5. Tamron 15-30 Lens Adapter. SW150 Lens Adapter for 82mm Lens (24-70). I'm not 100% sure if that is the correct adapter for my 24-70. If there are any changes, in your opinion, that I should make in order to have a good basic system, please let me know. Finally, with this set, will I be able to go out on sunny days, regardless of where the sun is, and shoot?
Thank you,
Terry

Last edited by TerryL; 04-27-2018 at 08:54 AM. Reason: spelling
04-27-2018, 03:44 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Have you seen Nisi S5 system? I'm saving up for that one, seems like the easiest system to use out of all of them, and comes with a nice CPL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8ITT-9tIBA
Thank you. I enjoyed watching that. Yes, it seems like all of the systems are costly.
Terry

---------- Post added 04-27-18 at 03:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I just wanted to clarify how the Fotodiox system works, assuming I'm following what you wrote correctly. Are you thinking it only does the 145mm round filters? It is setup to add holders for square filters to the round filter mount. You can still use one round filter while using two square filters, so you can position the horizon on a graduated ND where ever you like. You can check it out here:

FotodioX WonderPana FreeArc Core Unit WNDPNFA66CORE-KIT-TMR1530

Hope this is helpful.
Thank you. That looks really nice.
Terry

04-27-2018, 04:07 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Thank you. That looks really nice.
Welcome - think you've got a lot of good options and can't really go wrong with any of the recommendations made.
04-27-2018, 05:05 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Welcome - think you've got a lot of good options and can't really go wrong with any of the recommendations made.
That's what it seems like. They are all nice.
04-27-2018, 11:57 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Peter,
I have my Lee system picked out, and would like to get your opinion before I make the purchase. 1. SW50 Mark II Filter System. 2. 150 X 170 Soft Edge Grad ND Set: 1,2,3 Stop Exposure Reductions. 3. Big Stopper. 4. Little Stopper. 5. Tamron 15-30 Lens Adapter. SW150 Lens Adapter for 82mm Lens (24-70). I'm not 100% sure if that is the correct adapter for my 24-70. If there are any changes, in your opinion, that I should make in order to have a good basic system, please let me know. Finally, with this set, will I be able to go out on sunny days, regardless of where the sun is, and shoot?
Thank you,
Terry
That sounds a fine kit. The soft grads are more flexible than hard grads for scenes that don't have a strict straight dividing line between the dark and light areas.

Don't forget you can use more than one together if the situation demands it.

Good luck and look forward to the pictures.

04-28-2018, 09:40 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That sounds a fine kit. The soft grads are more flexible than hard grads for scenes that don't have a strict straight dividing line between the dark and light areas.

Don't forget you can use more than one together if the situation demands it.

Good luck and look forward to the pictures.
Great. Another question, If I want to use filters on my 31mm Limited, can I put a grad nd filter on first, then a nd filter on top of that? I would think that I would want to see the results of the grad nd filter first, then add the nd filter onto of that. I know you told me to put the nd closest to the lens, on the Lee system. Thank you.
Terry
04-28-2018, 03:52 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great. Another question, If I want to use filters on my 31mm Limited, can I put a grad nd filter on first, then a nd filter on top of that? I would think that I would want to see the results of the grad nd filter first, then add the nd filter onto of that. I know you told me to put the nd closest to the lens, on the Lee system. Thank you.
Terry
On the 31mm LTD you would be using round screw in filters so yes that would be the way to do it.
04-28-2018, 04:19 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've enjoyed this thread. With a trip to Antarctica in a few months, like TerryL I can see a Lee 150 system in my near future, including adaptors for the DFA15-30 and 82mm filter threads.

With 82mm step-up rings for my 62mm, 67mm and 77mm diameter lenses I should be able to trim down my filter collection substantially

I'll keep my 58mm screw-in filters (and step-ups) for the smaller lenses.
05-01-2018, 01:19 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
On the 31mm LTD you would be using round screw in filters so yes that would be the way to do it.
Thank you, Peter. I appreciate your input on this subject.
Terry