Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2018, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
I think this is a function of simply tools of the trade with digital. Cropping, stitching, HDR, etc with a lot of emphasis on web presentation. Comparing to the 6x7 shots your posted, whose scans can certainly be cropped and edited, it is evident the film formats are more “print/frame-ready.” You can get a custom frame made for just about anything, but unless the intent is definitively to print and display the image, who cares what the final dimensions turn out to be.

I have the 15 Limited for APS-C and a K24/3.5 for 35mm and 35mm for 6x4.5. One challenge with the WA and UWA is don’t fall into the rut where that’s your only solution for landscapes. A lot can be done with a telephoto. As mentioned before, the UWA/WA can make the features of the landscape almost disappear because of how far they push the subject away. They can flatten the image and take away the “awe factor” of features like mountains and valleys as they show more sky and overall expanse.
Oh I fully agree. It wasn't meant to be a knock of any sort, just a comment on how wide truly ultra-wide can become in a lot of scenes.
I'm all for stitching (I just don't enjoy doing it nearly as much but it is fun once in a while). This was a 20+ frame stitch shot with an M50/1.4, intentionally cropped to 6x7. Eatcherheartout Tak 105.

(Though actually I think perspective may be more along the lines of 67 75/2.8, but I haven't done any math....as usual.)

04-24-2018, 11:20 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Oh I fully agree. It wasn't meant to be a knock of any sort, just a comment on how wide truly ultra-wide can become in a lot of scenes.
I'm all for stitching (I just don't enjoy doing it nearly as much but it is fun once in a while). This was a 20+ frame stitch shot with an M50/1.4, intentionally cropped to 6x7. Eatcherheartout Tak 105.

(Though actually I think perspective may be more along the lines of 67 75/2.8, but I haven't done any math....as usual.)
Either way, it's lovely. What camera did you shoot this with? I'm heading to Google to see if anyone has done a stitch job with film.
04-24-2018, 11:54 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Would that be digitizing film frames and then stitching them? Or actually sewing pieces of film together...?
04-24-2018, 12:24 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Would that be digitizing film frames and then stitching them? Or actually sewing pieces of film together...?
Google results show scanning and then stitching the same way you would with digital is apparently a thing. 2x2 stitch of 6x7 is almost 4.75" x 5.5". Puts into perspective how big negatives get with large format.

04-24-2018, 12:39 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Google results show scanning and then stitching the same way you would with digital is apparently a thing. 2x2 stitch of 6x7 is almost 4.75" x 5.5". Puts into perspective how big negatives get with large format.
This is a two-frame stitch of scanned film. 35mm Pentax MZ-3 with an A35/2.0 lens. There was no way a single frame at 35mm did that viewpoint justice. But in reality, even this just a fraction of the awe that vista holds in nearly every direction.

---------- Post added 04-24-18 at 12:40 PM ----------

Either way, it's lovely. What camera did you shoot this with? I'm heading to Google to see if anyone has done a stitch job with film.
That one was shot with a K-7.
04-24-2018, 12:46 PM   #21
Veteran Member

This is a two-frame stitch of scanned film. 35mm Pentax MZ-3 with an A35/2.0 lens. There was no way a single frame at 35mm did that viewpoint justice. But in reality, even this just a fraction of the awe that vista holds in nearly every direction.

---------- Post added 04-24-18 at 12:40 PM ----------

It's a bummer a bit of the vignetting shows up in the center of the frame along the stitch. Inherent to the lens?
04-24-2018, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also known as the Brenizer method. A pain to do but looks good. Hint - shoot your subject first, then they can go and sit down while you fiddle with the surrounding frames

The Brenizer Method | Flickr

04-24-2018, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

It's a bummer a bit of the vignetting shows up in the center of the frame along the stitch. Inherent to the lens?
No, it was the stitch - I could have done a better job fixing the distortion, but would have lost some of the image.
This was just for me and a lazy stitch at that - I just left it. But when I posted it just a bit ago, it bugged me more than it did originally.
I'll probably revisit it.

---------- Post added 04-24-18 at 01:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
A pain to do but looks good. Hint - shoot your subject first, then they can go and sit down while you fiddle with the surrounding frames
Assuming nothing changes in the transitions while you're doing so... *then* it becomes a pain, or near impossible to do naturally.
I usually take a few test exposures of the extreme EV areas so that I can balance the exposure and leave all of them identical.
Doing so (and doing it quickly before anything can change) actually makes stitching them a piece of cake, providing you've enough coverage.
But yeah - subject first, then work clockwise or counter-clockwise around is the easiest way I've found.

---------- Post added 04-24-18 at 01:06 PM ----------

This was another, also in Wellington, also with the M50/1.4 and K-7... And one where I was not as careful. The close proximity to architectural lines made for crazy distortion, and a missed a bunch of the right side (obviously)... but in the end I just liked how it turned out, even with the botched stitching in a number of spots.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 04-24-2018 at 01:07 PM.
04-24-2018, 03:35 PM   #24
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm all for stitching
So am I. And it's so easy now with digital images, and good free software. For Windows users, ICE, ICE, baby: Image Composite Editor - Microsoft Research

For anyone thinking of this the panorama thread is quite inspiring: Panorama-orama - Post your Panos - PentaxForums.com

But stitching isn't always a viable alternative to a UWA lens. Apart from the fact that the perspective is different, as @Chickentender points out it's a problem when things move. Clouds can be OK, but when there is moving water the joins always seem to show up.
04-24-2018, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
So am I. And it's so easy now with digital images, and good free software. For Windows users, ICE, ICE, baby: Image Composite Editor - Microsoft Research

For anyone thinking of this the panorama thread is quite inspiring: Panorama-orama - Post your Panos - PentaxForums.com

But stitching isn't always a viable alternative to a UWA lens. Apart from the fact that the perspective is different, as @Chickentender points out it's a problem when things move. Clouds can be OK, but when there is moving water the joins always seem to show up.
Yup. And Image Composite Editor is fantastic and free (a fact that sill confounds me... something from Microsoft that is free of charge AND work well? cats and dogs living together...)
04-24-2018, 05:32 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
It depends on how good is your stitching software
DA16-45 at 18mm, 6 shot handheld pano stitched with Kolor Autopano :

But we are hijacking the thread
04-24-2018, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
It depends on how good is your stitching software
DA16-45 at 18mm, 6 shot handheld pano stitched with Kolor Autopano :
There's a seam - but at web resolution it does look very good. I think you got a bit lucky with the wave breaks in the distance at center frame, and its also more forgiving since that area is rather defocussed into the distance. The horizon breaks just left of the island and becomes much sharper, both in the waves, the rocks below and the horizon itself. But the blending job is pretty good. The other areas (rocks, flowing stream and sand) are much easier for any of them to deal with. But damn you, waves!

Stitching is rough with moving targets no matter the software price.

QuoteQuote:
But we are hijacking the thread
But that's what PF is for! yeah you're quite right actually.
04-24-2018, 11:39 PM   #28

Original Poster
Thank you everybody for the replies and advice. Now I have a better picture (no pun intended) of what to look for in the lens.
04-25-2018, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eminker Quote
My only quibble would be to get a fast F2.8 or better UWA zoom but I don't see that happening anytime soon. As Aslyfox had mentioned, it may be a prudent idea to rent before your buy so you get exactly what you need.

Best of Luck!
The not yet released, but announced, DA* 11-18 will be f2.8...
04-25-2018, 06:49 AM   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The not yet released, but announced, DA* 11-18 will be f2.8...
rumor has it:

Principal specifications

Lens type Zoom lens
Max Format size APS-C / DX
Focal length 11–18 mm
Image stabilization No
Lens mount Pentax KAF3

Aperture

Maximum aperture F2.8
Aperture ring No

Optics

Focus Autofocus Yes
Full time manual Yes
Distance scale Yes
DoF scale No

Physical

Zoom method Rotary (extending)
Hood supplied Yes

HD Pentax-DA* 11-18mm F2.8: Digital Photography Review

Pentax DA★ 11-18mm and D FA★ 50mm Specifications
Reference exhibits at CP+ 2018

The HD Pentax-DA★ 11-18mm F2.8 ED DC AW is expected in the summer. This will be a wide-angle premium zoom for crop cameras. We've learned that it will use the KAF3 lens mount, which means it will remain compatible with older cameras like the Pentax K-5. The lens will also feature a focus clamp to allow for very precise manual focus adjustments.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/pentax-news/pentax-da-11-18mm-and-d-fa...#ixzz5Dgxz7cRd