Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2018, 10:56 AM   #1

Pentax lens locked onto Olympus DSLR

Not thinking, I put a Takumar 135mm f2.5 bayonet MF lens with PK-4/3 adapter on an Olympus E-520.

Aperture tang keeping it locked on camera, correct? Or other interference. It does rotate about 30 degrees on the body side of the adapter and then a few more degrees on the lens side.before hanging up when I try to remove it

Anyone get your's free in this situation, without damaging anything?

I'll leave it on permanently if needed because it works great, but I also would like to use other lenses on the E-520 of course.

Last edited by philnk; 04-24-2018 at 11:04 AM.
04-24-2018, 11:52 AM   #2

I don't know which adapter you have but looking at the examples on Amazon and Ebay (Fotodiox and other brands) I don't see anything that would hang up either the lens or the body. The lever isn't long enough to go through the adapter into the camera body. And there shouldn't be anything sticking out of the camera body for it to get hung up on.

Can you remove the lens from the adapter? The release for the lens on the adapter slides towards the camera to unlock the lens. The lens should twist anti-clockwise while looking towards the camera to unlock.
04-24-2018, 01:19 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I don't know which adapter you have but looking at the examples on Amazon and Ebay (Fotodiox and other brands) I don't see anything that would hang up either the lens or the body. The lever isn't long enough to go through the adapter into the camera body. And there shouldn't be anything sticking out of the camera body for it to get hung up on.

Can you remove the lens from the adapter? The release for the lens on the adapter slides towards the camera to unlock the lens. The lens should twist anti-clockwise while looking towards the camera to unlock.
The adapter release hangs up as well as the camera release. I guess i'll have to try real thin feeler gauges to hopefully depress whatever is hanging up. But the gap is very thin even when the lens is partially unscrewed.
Maybe its an adapter flaw.

Thanks.

Anyone else free up a lens like this?
04-24-2018, 10:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philnk Quote
The adapter release hangs up as well as the camera release. I guess i'll have to try real thin feeler gauges to hopefully depress whatever is hanging up. But the gap is very thin even when the lens is partially unscrewed.
Maybe its an adapter flaw.

Thanks.

Anyone else free up a lens like this?
Fotodiox m42 to PK adapter comes with a tool to disengage the retainer as you rotate with it. Did yours come with such? If need be that retainer is just a thin piece of metal and it would give way well before the mounting surface if you needed to try and force it. Not recommended of course, but there's a strong change you'd sacrifice the adapter before damaging anything else (though the adapter would likely still work, just wouldn't lock into place if the clip failed).

04-24-2018, 11:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I had the same problem happen with a Sigma 50-500 with a cheap PK-M43 adapter. I just kept trying it and had to force it to get it off. Threw the adapter away afterwards so I wouldn't have to do that anymore.
04-25-2018, 02:01 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Fotodiox m42 to PK adapter comes with a tool to disengage the retainer as you rotate with it. Did yours come with such? If need be that retainer is just a thin piece of metal and it would give way well before the mounting surface if you needed to try and force it. Not recommended of course, but there's a strong change you'd sacrifice the adapter before damaging anything else (though the adapter would likely still work, just wouldn't lock into place if the clip failed).
OK, thanks everyone. I'll continue fiddling with it.
04-25-2018, 07:14 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I think I had the same problem happen with a Sigma 50-500 with a cheap PK-M43 adapter. I just kept trying it and had to force it to get it off. Threw the adapter away afterwards so I wouldn't have to do that anymore.
Yes, I just got the fortitude to turn the lens with more force and got the adapter off the camera. I then poked a screwdriver into the adapter tab to get the adapter off the lens.