Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2018, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Not that anyone would ever know on sight.

(from a PF reviewer)
(Laughs)

See how versatile he was, Kevin?

He could do both a little Limited and a Big Boy Lens for Big Boys with their Big Boy Cameras.

04-25-2018, 10:47 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
(Laughs)

See how versatile he was, Kevin?

He could do both a little Limited and a Big Boy Lens for Big Boys with their Big Boy Cameras.
Yes indeed.

(To be honest, this is the main reason I never K-1 plunged. Pentax, when I chose it and when I continued down the K path, was largely my choice for big-boy performance in a non-big-boy package. Moved to film. Same story. The M series bodies and glass. The A's. The early (as I'm finally discovering) S's with their Taks. Every time I've picked up a K-1 and new PK glass I realize I got left behind like a tiny little man.)
04-25-2018, 10:53 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes indeed.

(To be honest, this is the main reason I never K-1 plunged. Pentax, when I chose it and when I continued down the K path, was largely my choice for big-boy performance in a non-big-boy package. Moved to film. Same story. The M series bodies and glass. The A's. The early (as I'm finally discovering) S's with their Taks. Every time I've picked up a K-1 and new PK glass I realize I got left behind like a tiny little man.)
You better stay right away from the 645Z, too!
04-25-2018, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You better stay right away from the 645Z, too!
I'm being semi-facetious. Mostly speaking to the 135 and "full-frame" formats. I shoot 67 and 645 a lot.
But... The 67ii with 75/4.5 isn't much heavier than a K-1 with current PK glass.... even closer with the grip.
That's funny to me.

04-25-2018, 11:22 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm being semi-facetious. Mostly speaking to the 135 and "full-frame" formats. I shoot 67 and 645 a lot.
But... The 67ii with 75/4.5 isn't much heavier than a K-1 with current PK glass.... even closer with the grip.
That's funny to me.
The 67ii is mainly an empty box. There's a lot going on inside an autofocus DSLR with IBIS
04-25-2018, 11:27 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The 67ii is mainly an empty box. There's a lot going on inside an autofocus DSLR with IBIS
Yes. Thank you.
04-26-2018, 05:16 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pmastello Quote
Does anyone rely solely on this stable of lenses? Do you miss anything?
Your style seems to be mostly primes, so maybe you wouldn't miss anything. As for me I'd miss a zoom for convenience. That being said, I have a setup of primes close to yours.

I was also considering a swap with the FA77 to the DFA100 Macro. I like the Macro and WR parts, but I never particularly liked the 100mm focal length
The 100 WR and the 77 are VERY close regarding rendering. And on full frame, the FOV difference is not that significant.

However, the 77 is faster by more than one stop and focuses WAY faster. That might be an issue or not. Using the viewfinder the difference is not that important, however using live view it is absurd.
04-26-2018, 05:38 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
. . . The FA31 is a wide angle on the K-1. 14-15mm is extremely wide, and quite tricky to use well. Something in the 20-24mm range would probably be more useful in the first instance.
perhaps this chart showing field of view for the focal length of lenses could be of help

" FOV Tables: Field-of-view of lenses by focal length

Field-of-view (also known as FOV)
The values for Field of View (FOV) come up frequently enough at the forums that I thought a list might be helpful for quick reference.
Remember that focal length is stated for infinity and most lenses decrease in focal length as you focus closer. "

FOV Tables: Field-of-view of lenses by focal length

column 1 is for full frame

column 2 is for APS-C Pentax

04-26-2018, 06:11 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DA 70 is full frame compatible. I would keep that around for a while. So here's a kit;
Your FA 31, your FA 50 1.4, your DA 70, a Tamron 28-75, your Sigma 70-300, your DA 15 in square crop mode for the time being and wait for Ricoh to release a wide prime.

If you decide you need something more-wide on the wide end, Samyang 20mm or 14mm both seem nice. I have the 14 and haven't shot with it much but it's not as bonkers to carry around as I thought it would be.

My 2 cents, not as exciting as some of the other ideas shared.
04-26-2018, 06:24 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd put the 28-105 at the top of my list if, as you describe, you do a lot of landscape/travel/hiking.

It's high-quality, versatile, WR, light, and reasonably priced. I wish it were 24 wide but other than that, it's nearly perfect for what it is.
04-26-2018, 06:31 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ooh, yeah, D-FA 28-105 seems quite nice, could go that way instead of the old Tamron 28-75. Nice to have a WR lens in the bag as well.
04-26-2018, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

The DFA 28-105 is the lens that keeps my camera functional. And, in reference to what Adam says about modern glass, I shot yesterday with the Rokinon 14 2.8 and the FA-J 18-35 and 28-105 yesterday,

The DFA 28-105 images just jump off the screen at you. Tess can pick them out looking over my shoulder. They have a 3D pop other images don't have. I'm not sure any "made for the way people take pictures" lens matches any "modern lenses for modern sensors" in anything except portraiture. I don't own any of the 3 amigos so maybe those lenses are better than I think, but I have seen many images.

I'm in a position now where I won't take the 28-105 off the camera for a prime, unless I need low light performance or reach.. My FA 50, FA 50 macro, 100 macro, DA 35, 40 XS have all become specialty lenses, although the 40 XS is darn good. But it's also right in the 28-105's sweet spot.

The DFA 28-105, everything jumps off the computer screen at you.
04-26-2018, 10:19 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Consensus seems to be on the modern WR SDM zooms. Thanks.
One thing I should have mentioned in my original post is that I do a lot of hiking, so weight is a consideration. The 70-200 weighs 2kg! That said, looking at the lens club examples, the 70-200 has really grabbed my attention.

I am thinking the best option for me could be the K1+28-105mm package, with the 70-200 D FA. For multi day hikes, I'd just take the 28-105, and for day hikes, the 70-200's weight wouldn't be an issue. K1 ii would be good, but I'd rather spend the money on the 28-105.

The 15-30 looks great, but not being able to use a filter is a deal breaker for me. I'm a bit rough with my cameras and I replace my UV filter every year as they get grubby.
Not having a wide angle would be a small issue, but maybe I will fill that gap later with a Rokinon 14mm or Irix 15mm.
You are right about filters and the 15-30, but there are systems available. They are expensive, but if you love the lens like I do, it is worth it. The Irix 15 is a jewel when it comes to filters.
Terry