Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2018, 07:34 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Filter Thread Hood for the Takumar 135/2.5

I am expecting one of these lenses to arrive in the mail in a few days time. I am aware it has a built in hood, however the reviews of the hood get a few mixed reviews. My concern with the hood is the fact it retracts. I like my hoods to be fixed for better protection and also that I put them in my belt pouches face down so that the hood touches the bottom, with a retractable hood I'm guessing it just folds back?

So.. it's 52mm thread size, has anyone got a recommendation for a thread filter hood for this lens?

Cheers,

Bruce

04-26-2018, 09:02 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
So.. it's 52mm thread size, has anyone got a recommendation for a thread filter hood for this lens?
I use generic round metal hoods that also accept a pinch-type lens cap at the open end. I suggest dropping by a "brick and mortar" store, if one is near. They generally keep a selection of that sort of thing to fit multiple diameters. As you might have guessed, hoods are not rocket science unless one is talking about dedicated petal type. If the front element is shaded for light coming from outside the known FOV based on the estimated position of the entrance pupil all is good. If it is not deep enough, one can often see the unexpected flare in the viewfinder. If too deep, there will be vignette. Since it is hard to see in advance, it is good to not pay too much.

BTW...built-in and dedicated hoods from the manufacturer are often fairly inadequate, but seldom vignette.

Steve
04-26-2018, 10:05 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The hood for the M42 Takumar 135/2.5s is 50mm deep and ~72mm diameter at the front. You can't use that particular hood without stepup rings because it's 58mm, but those are some useful starting dimensions.

I think the built-in hood can be removed if you want. The front barrel unscrews - focus to infinity, slide the hood forward, grab onto the barrel and the focus ring, and it should screw off after many turns. Then you can slide the hood off the end of the front barrel with the threads.