Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2018, 01:17 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Question on lens covers

I now have about 60 lenses for K-1/K-3 cameras, and around 35 lenses for 645N/D/Z cameras. Some come with their own custom hoods, and others I order after-market hoods. My problem is how to handle the front caps once a hood is fitted to the lens. There are several different situations:

1. Original lens hood/bayonet style: With these hoods, it is generally possible to install the hood directly onto the lens and then replace the hood, then reverse the process to use the lens.

2. Original hood/screw-in style: Mostly you cannot install the cap because the threaded hood prevents doing so. Some, however, are nicely designed to permit the cap to install on the hood itself, my Arsat B 250mm, for example. For most of these, I just store the caps for later installation in the event I offer the lens for sale.

3. After-market/screw-in hood: Most of the after-market hoods do not permit fitting a cap on the end of the hood, although there are a few exceptions.

I have basically come to the conclusion that it is at best inconvenient and at worst senseless to fit a front cap on lenses when a hood is already installed, particularly when you have to take the hood off to install or remove the cap. (If the lens is not used frequently or is in long-time storage that is a different story, of course.) As a consequence, I have quite a large collection of front lens caps that I have stored in a plastic bag.

Wondering if anyone else has different views about using hoods and front caps together, or if anyone has developed a better solution to this problem.

04-27-2018, 01:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The title of your thread doen't show the real topic: Problem with lens front caps when storing lenses with mounted lens hood

1. With the original hood, you can mount them everted like they're constructed for storage.
  2. For storage, the hood isn't needed to be mounted on the lens.
  3. There are a lot of third-party screw-in hoods with filter thread, which can accept front lens caps.
The problem you see and have is mostly regarded to MF lenses, so maybe a step towards AF lenses could solve a lot of your problems.
04-27-2018, 01:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Call me paranoid, but I always use a cap when I'm not actually shooting. I use a cap keeper (those elastic and string jobbies you get from China which cost pennies) because I got tired of losing caps.
I have a friend who just puts a skylight filter on the lens and then a hood, and he's good to go. To me, the front of his lenses look like a potato field there's so much muck on them but each to their own. Maybe he's just slovenly about lens care?

For my older lenses which won't accept a cap & hood at the same time, it's not a huge issue for me, I only have three or four, and I keep the hood loose in the bag with the capped lens. If I had a larger number, yes it would be a bigger issue.
04-27-2018, 03:01 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

my personal habits for what it is worth

I always keep the lens cap on the lens unless I am actually using the lens.

most of my lens hood can be inverted but any that can't I store separately or carry loose when I am out in the field.

I was taught to always use the strap of the camera when ever you pick it up

[ dummy, how many times have I told you - you paid for that strap use it, ok dad ]

and based on the same instructions I use a safety filter to protect the front of the lens AND the threads of the lens if the lens is dropped ( which it did when I dropped the DA *300mm )

Now based on the " discussion " about using such a safety filter while actually photographing something , I have started to experiment with the removal of that filter when I remove the lens cap and put the hood on

still nervous about that ( and expecting to hear my Dad's voice ) but the experiment continues

04-27-2018, 06:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The hoods will usually protect against impact damage but a cap will protect against dust and contaminants
04-27-2018, 06:33 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In my Nikon days even though my metal hoods could be reversed and a lens cap could then be used, I tended to buy Tupperware lids that fit the end of the hood.

I have found online sources that sell slip on caps in various sizes, I just use a micrometer to determine what I need for the lenses that have a need.
04-27-2018, 06:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

These caps starts from 2":
Hoodie Lens Caps, LensCoat
Neoprene Camera lens caps | Outdoor Photography Gear | Canon Nikon Sigma
Hood Hat - Lens Cover | OP/TECH USA

Last edited by angerdan; 04-27-2018 at 01:50 PM. Reason: + https://optechusa.com/hood-hat.html
04-27-2018, 07:43 AM   #8
Forum Member

Lens hoods are really handy

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
These caps starts from 2":
Hoodie Lens Caps, LensCoat
These lens hoods are really handy and I highly recommend them. I picked up a few of them to use while out with my camera. They keep dust, rain off the front elements and protect the lens somewhat from minor bumps and knocks. They pull off quickly and store in any pocket. Just be really careful about the sizes, diameters
04-27-2018, 12:27 PM   #9

The hood on my Sigma 100-300 f4 is huge. It is almost impossible to put on or off the lens cap with the hood in shooting position. The hood is reversible so there's no cap put on or off issue when the lens is not in use.
When using the lens in the field I don't use the original cap but a neoprene cap that goes over the hood, so I don't have to remove the hood anytime while shooting, just put on/off the neoprene cap. Only when I end using the lens I put on again the original plastic cap.
This is the one I use: OP/TECH USA Hood Hat, Medium 8001122 B&H Photo Video

Last edited by CarlosU; 04-27-2018 at 12:44 PM.
04-27-2018, 06:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Another option is this Universal lens hood made of silicone from kuvrdcamera.com