Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
07-02-2018, 05:52 AM   #46
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
mind the horn!!

Been there, done that

Excellent advice, Wim, a very good summary that should be printed out by anyone planning a safari.

Just adding; the best kind of boat I have been in for low angle shots is a canoe. And as with walking, stay in a single file, do as the guide tells you - always.

I agree that Etosha is great for self-drive, as is Kgalagadi/Kalahari for much the same reasons (I wouldn't attempt the latter with a 4x2, though).

drive there as soon as you can leave camp (sunrise)
The number one tip for any kind of safari. Do not waste the best time of day in bed. Please don't. Get up, get out. You can take a break later in the day when nothing much happens anyway.

07-02-2018, 06:16 AM   #47
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my vast experience, one trip to Africa remember, we got out early ( no. 1 or 2 in the crater ) but we would stay out all day and then return to our lodging in every park we visited

Made for a long but enjoyable day

We were lucky in that we didn't share a vehicle, as much as possible we had the top open and I rode standing

I liked it when, after a few days, I saw game first ( the guide was busy driving or looking elsewhere, he was much better )

We had a very experienced guide who had guided the folks who had set up our trip for years

I would not want to self drive

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-02-2018 at 02:21 PM.
07-02-2018, 08:54 AM   #48
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Originally posted by Aslyfox
One bit of advice

you will be instructed not to feed the animals

so please return to your lodging without being eaten

you don't want to break the rules

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
(Laughs)
I actually used to end my entry into the " game book " with this statement:

" we obeyed the rules, did not feed the animals, returned alive "

FYI

the " game book " was usually at the bar and you were encouraged to list how your daily trip had been and what you observed
07-02-2018, 09:15 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I liked it when, after a few days, I saw game first ( the guide was busy driving or looking elsewhere, he was much better )
That is a great moment isn't it? I did a wilderness trail a few years ago in Kruger, SA. This is 3 days hiking with a group of max 8px from a central camping site an hour or two driving from the nearest publicly accessible road. When on top of a kopje I spotted some movement the distance and voiced my believe at seeing a couple of male lions about 400m away, I had my moment of glory when the guide had to reach for his binoculars to confirm my observation. We spent a good half hour watching the three brother lions sneak around the river valley. Moments you never forget.

I would not want to self drive
I understand why you wouldn't want to. We were apprehensive as well our first time. And it's absolutely true that I wouldn't want to do that anywhere either, but there are a few parks in SA and Namibia that are very suitable for self-drive (both countries having an excellent road network and great car rental services), and where self driving allows you to get away from the crowds a bit. OTOH, a lot of national parks rightfully do not allow for it (accessibility and road conditions), and in quite a few countries I wouldn't dare either even if allowed!

Wim

07-02-2018, 09:24 AM   #50
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

That is a great moment isn't it? I did a wilderness trail a few years ago in Kruger, SA. This is 3 days hiking with a group of max 8px from a central camping site an hour or two driving from the nearest publicly accessible road. When on top of a kopje I spotted some movement the distance and voiced my believe at seeing a couple of male lions about 400m away, I had my moment of glory when the guide had to reach for his binoculars to confirm my observation. We spent a good half hour watching the three brother lions sneak around the river valley. Moments you never forget.

I understand why you wouldn't want to. We were apprehensive as well our first time. And it's absolutely true that I wouldn't want to do that anywhere either, but there are a few parks in SA and Namibia that are very suitable for self-drive (both countries having an excellent road network and great car rental services), and where self driving allows you to get away from the crowds a bit. OTOH, a lot of national parks rightfully do not allow for it (accessibility and road conditions), and in quite a few countries I wouldn't dare either even if allowed!

Wim
true enough

on self driving -

my main concerns is break downs and the fact that if I am driving, I am not as free to be looking
07-02-2018, 12:11 PM   #51
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

true enough

on self driving -

my main concerns is break downs and the fact that if I am driving, I am not as free to be looking
Both valid concerns. But vehicles for hire are generally in very good condition, and people are fantastically helpful. I have had some mishaps but have always received all help needed from the rental company and passers-by alike.

And looking and driving isn't too much of a problem. You go slowly or, in the case of dry parks spend a lot of time by the waterholes.

The gravel roads of Namibia can be rough on your tyres You're usually equipped with two spares, though.

07-02-2018, 12:27 PM   #52
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Both valid concerns. But vehicles for hire are generally in very good condition, and people are fantastically helpful. I have had some mishaps but have always received all help needed from the rental company and passers-by alike.

And looking and driving isn't too much of a problem. You go slowly or, in the case of dry parks spend a lot of time by the waterholes.

The gravel roads of Namibia can be rough on your tyres You're usually equipped with two spares, though.
I haven't changed a tire for years

after yanking a Ford Explorer off the jack and having the tire narrowly miss me, I decided AAA was a good idea

not sure if there is such service available on safari though

07-02-2018, 01:45 PM   #53
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't changed a tire for years

after yanking a Ford Explorer off the jack and having the tire narrowly miss me, I decided AAA was a good idea

not sure if there is such service available on safari though
This happened outside of any park. As the tyre broke a bit more as it blew up we indeed needed help from a mechanic. This was quite a bit away from anything but within a couple of hours of waiting in the cool bar of a lodge (a kind gentleman drove us there - as I said, rural Namibia is as friendly as any place you can find) help arrived and things were fixed well enough to continue our trip.

But yes, things can definitely happen when you hire a car. There's nothing wrong with wanting to avoid that. Most of the times I have rented there have been no problems of any kind, though

(We have had safari vehicles having punctures, too, but then it's not a problem we have had to worry about...)
07-02-2018, 02:03 PM   #54
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
This happened outside of any park. As the tyre broke a bit more as it blew up we indeed needed help from a mechanic. This was quite a bit away from anything but within a couple of hours of waiting in the cool bar of a lodge (a kind gentleman drove us there - as I said, rural Namibia is as friendly as any place you can find) help arrived and things were fixed well enough to continue our trip.

But yes, things can definitely happen when you hire a car. There's nothing wrong with wanting to avoid that. Most of the times I have rented there have been no problems of any kind, though

(We have had safari vehicles having punctures, too, but then it's not a problem we have had to worry about...)
other than offering to help I am sure

and watching out for animals coming in
07-04-2018, 06:34 AM   #55
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Warning about dust in eyes on safari vehicles...

My last safari in Kenya, one brother got an eye infection real bad.
I think it was from standing up while driving (at speed) in an open top safari van - getting dust (and likely dried animal dung) in his eyes kicked up from a vehicle in front.
I plan on bringing a pair of clear safety glasses. It hit him after the safari ended, but he missed a 2nd day with the monkeys... Monkeys at Kenya City Park 2016 | Facebook
07-04-2018, 07:36 AM   #56
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phillydad Quote
My last safari in Kenya, one brother got an eye infection real bad.
I think it was from standing up while driving (at speed) in an open top safari van - getting dust (and likely dried animal dung) in his eyes kicked up from a vehicle in front.
I plan on bringing a pair of clear safety glasses. It hit him after the safari ended, but he missed a 2nd day with the monkeys... Monkeys at Kenya City Park 2016 | Facebook
wise idea

I had sunglasses on and didn't have much problem with dust any way

another suggestion wear a bandana around your neck so you can cover your mouth and nose if necessary

if hot, wet it down

and always wear some type of hat, preferably a broad brimmed one

putting a wet bandana or hankerchief in the hat can help cool you off too