Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2019, 08:11 PM   #16

My 2 year old 50-135 is dead. Knowing the SDM reputation is sketchy I bought an extended warranty. Usually a waste of money but maybe not this time. the warranty company said they couldn’t fix it (naturally) so they claimed they would send to manufacturer. Now, 3 weeks later the warranty company reports they will refund my purchase instead. Love the lens but wondering since I’m getting a do-over I should seek something else.

10-31-2019, 09:01 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rwhynacht Quote
Love the lens but wondering since I’m getting a do-over I should seek something else.
For mine, the lens is good enough to warrant a conversion to screw drive if the replacement fails down the track. That's certainly what I have done.
10-31-2019, 09:07 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rwhynacht Quote
My 2 year old 50-135 is dead. Knowing the SDM reputation is sketchy I bought an extended warranty. Usually a waste of money but maybe not this time. the warranty company said they couldn’t fix it (naturally) so they claimed they would send to manufacturer. Now, 3 weeks later the warranty company reports they will refund my purchase instead. Love the lens but wondering since I’m getting a do-over I should seek something else.
I don't think there's really anything quite comparable available in Pentax. There's always the Sigma 50-150 but it isn't weather sealed and it, well, it isn't the Pentax. There's the 60-250 but it's longer on both ends, slower, and significantly larger.
07-03-2023, 03:53 AM   #19

50-135mm SMc DA* Auto Focus not working.

I purchased this lens back in 2014 - its a lens thats not been used much since new and certainly not used at all in the last 4/5 years. It's been stored well protected in an air tight lens case during its 'domant' years.
I was planning to sell it on ebay so during a pre-sale check using a K20 it became apparent that the auto focus wasn't working - something I had experience before but was usually fixed by leaving on the camera for a few minutes (camera on and battery fully charged) - the usual 'recharging the capacitor' fix. On this occasion that didn't work. However, reading comments on this thread I tried on my K3 - no joy in 'normal mode' but switching to 'liveview mode' bought back to life and it is now working fine on both cameras!