Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2018, 12:12 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Second Stevebrot. While a 35mm has a field of view in the low 50mm's it is going to distort like a 35mm on head and shoulders photos. 35mm's work great for 3/4 or full body shots. There are more possibilities with the mild telephotos between 77mm and 95mm (assuming you can back up far enough). It is nice to have a macro in the mix and 95mm is pretty nice for a lot of macro work, but the rendering may not be great for portraiture. It seems that you are comfortable shooting full manual, m42 lenses so perhaps you could just start an exploration using Ebay beginning with the Takumars. Buy two for around $100 each and sell the worse of the two. Buy another and sell the lesser of the two. Keep going until you have a winner. Or just save up for an FA 77.

05-04-2018, 12:13 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I wonder if 135mm became common around the time apc came around from people using their 85mm on it because they heard 85mm lens was the best and not realizing that was based on a 35mm film camera.
Other way round.

I read an article that said the 135mm fell out of favour when digital appeared (APS-C).

A very good length on FF suddenly becomes restrictive for portraits.

05-04-2018, 12:21 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kernos Quote
Second Stevebrot. While a 35mm has a field of view in the low 50mm's it is going to distort like a 35mm on head and shoulders photos. 35mm's work great for 3/4 or full body shots. There are more possibilities with the mild telephotos between 77mm and 95mm (assuming you can back up far enough). It is nice to have a macro in the mix and 95mm is pretty nice for a lot of macro work, but the rendering may not be great for portraiture. It seems that you are comfortable shooting full manual, m42 lenses so perhaps you could just start an exploration using Ebay beginning with the Takumars. Buy two for around $100 each and sell the worse of the two. Buy another and sell the lesser of the two. Keep going until you have a winner. Or just save up for an FA 77.
In M42 right now, I have a 55mm 1.8 Super Takumar, and a (slightly yellowed) 50mm 1.4, both in good shape. I think I'll try some portraits this weekend, and see how they do.

I also have the 60 - 300 Tamron SP Adaptall-2. It's gorgeous at many lengths, so I might give that a try as well.
05-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
135mm was probably the most popular Ďportraití telephoto for SLRs from the 1960s until APS-c digital took over. They are cheap to make at f2.8 and usually pretty decent. You can check the third party lens reviews here to get an idea how many there were...

Iím not a huge fan of the focal length (though I have four of the silly things)

But you can do portraits with any focal length. I do like my 50mm f1.4 on APS-c, and it was super cheap secondhand.

As much as I like my 85mm on full frame, though, I donít use it much on APS-c. Just personal preference... probably for the same reason I donít often use 135mm on full frame 🙂

-Eric

05-04-2018, 03:41 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Eastern Europeans use the 135mm on crop sensor a lot. Take a look at this collection by Yuri Leo with a Pentax K10D. There are a lot of 135mm portraits. I think somewhere he said it was the Jupiter 11a.
05-04-2018, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kernos Quote
The Eastern Europeans use the 135mm on crop sensor a lot. Take a look at this collection by Yuri Leo with a Pentax K10D. There are a lot of 135mm portraits. I think somewhere he said it was the Jupiter 11a.
Interesting. Maybe I will try the Pentax Takumar 135mm....these are great photos.
05-04-2018, 04:46 PM   #37
Pentaxian

A Pentax A 50/1.4 can be bought for about a hundred dollars. You won’t have autofocus, but you will have a pretty fast aperture on a focal length that is close to the traditional 85mm portrait lens. It’s not the sharpest lens in the tool shed, but stopped down it’s pretty good, and wide open you get that dreamy super narrow depth of field. Since it is an A lens, everything will work normally on a digital camera—no need for stop down metering—except autofocus, but at $100, the options are pretty narrow.
05-04-2018, 04:59 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
A Pentax A 50/1.4 can be bought for about a hundred dollars. You wonít have autofocus, but you will have a pretty fast aperture on a focal length that is close to the traditional 85mm portrait lens. Itís not the sharpest lens in the tool shed, but stopped down itís pretty good, and wide open you get that dreamy super narrow depth of field. Since it is an A lens, everything will work normally on a digital cameraóno need for stop down meteringóexcept autofocus, but at $100, the options are pretty narrow.
My 55/1.8 and 50/1.4 Takumars, and my SMC Pentax-M 50/1.7 all do fairly well at that range. Other than the 1.7 to 1.4 improvement, Is there a reason to grab the 1.4 that makes it better than those three?

05-04-2018, 05:24 PM   #39
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
My 55/1.8 and 50/1.4 Takumars, and my SMC Pentax-M 50/1.7 all do fairly well at that range. Other than the 1.7 to 1.4 improvement, Is there a reason to grab the 1.4 that makes it better than those three?
Perhaps in the coatings? But for portraits under controlled lighting, I do not expect there to be any huge reason to get the 1.4.
05-04-2018, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #40
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I suggest you use the adaptall zoom you have, and get a 35 mm lens. And then get some experience. The right FL depends on what you want to "say" and the situation.

And really the best portrait lens maybe what you happen to have on the camera, when a great opportunity happens, and after that maybe you will swear that is the best FL. (In management called the "hallo effect.")

But as a general guide (for full face) a wider angle means closer and thus the nose is larger, and the head is more rounded, and long FL means face is flattened. Neither is as flattering as a FL that is more like we see (suspect many would say something in the range 28 mm to 50 mm on an APSC).

But who says it should be flattering, and anyway if the opportunity presents itself hopefully you would be/become comfortable w/ almost any lens. You will tend to adjust to the particular lens field of view and the subject's persona.