Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2018, 10:28 PM   #1

So how much is this going to cost me?

Been shooting Pentax since the early 80's. Yep that's right with a K 1000. I have been making very slow upgrades over the last 35 years.
In the digital era I've gone from the *ist D to the K3 II (I got my moneys worth out of the *ist D , and its still going strong, needs a new AF/MF switch)
I've been using mostly a DA 35 f:2.4 AL & DA 50 f:1.8. I also have a Sigma 18-35 f:1.8 DC ART, that I love!!! Now I'm afraid I just made a purchase that is ultimately going to cost me hundreds more. I picked up a mint DA 70 f:2.4 LTD. (My first LTD) for $225. I'm very exited about getting out and using it based on all the reviews. But if it lives up to my expectation's I don't think I'll be able to live without more LTD'S😬
I would love to hear about other peoples experiences with there first Pentax LTD's and any LTD addictions that fallowed.
Cheers 😀

05-07-2018, 11:32 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the DA 15 Ltd, DA 40 Ltd, and DA 70 Ltd. They are all beautifully made and a joy to use. Optically, they are all better than perfect, i.e., they have character (flaws? pixie dust?) that make them render better than a "perfect" lens. I also greatly enjoy using the 40 and the 70 on FF, though they are not technically meant for it.

I think the DA15 is my most used Limited on APS-C. Curiously, it is the least perfect optically of the three, as it is a little weak at the edges. That rarely matters for an UWA though, as I usually focus it on some foreground subject, and the edges are in the OOF background.

And they as SO COMPACT!
05-08-2018, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Photobill Quote
Been shooting Pentax since the early 80's. Yep that's right with a K 1000. I have been making very slow upgrades over the last 35 years.
In the digital era I've gone from the *ist D to the K3 II (I got my moneys worth out of the *ist D , and its still going strong, needs a new AF/MF switch)
I've been using mostly a DA 35 f:2.4 AL & DA 50 f:1.8. I also have a Sigma 18-35 f:1.8 DC ART, that I love!!! Now I'm afraid I just made a purchase that is ultimately going to cost me hundreds more. I picked up a mint DA 70 f:2.4 LTD. (My first LTD) for $225. I'm very exited about getting out and using it based on all the reviews. But if it lives up to my expectation's I don't think I'll be able to live without more LTD'S😬
I would love to hear about other peoples experiences with there first Pentax LTD's and any LTD addictions that fallowed.
Cheers 😀
Ha ha ha - this won't be cheap

My first ltd was technically also the DA 70mm, but it was faulty and the shop had no more copies at that great price so the money went on a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and what I regard as my first real Ltd experience came later with the 35mm macro, which remains my favourite lens of all time. I completed the full set of DA Ltd primes a couple of years ago with the DA 40mm.

Optically I'd say the 35 and the 70 are the best, so you started off well, though the 21 is more useful overall than the 70 due to focal length.
05-08-2018, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I would love to hear about other peoples experiences with their first Pentax LTD's and any LTD addictions that followed
I don't think that's really gonna help you to keep your LBA in check...

05-08-2018, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
so far, I just have one, I bought an " experienced " SMC Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited

I grabbed the " experienced " 21mm after reading the opinions ( and warnings ) contained in this thread

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 10 - PentaxForums.com

[ I did have had the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS ( the best lens in its class ) first but admittedly its construction doesn't allow it to be claimed to be a true " limited " despite sharing the 40mm limited small size and optics ( ? ) ]

but who can foretell the future:

I am renting a SMC Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited for my Yellowstone trip beginning Monday

I like the 21 but really haven't had much opportunity to use it yet but the landscapes in Yellowstone are calling to me

the 31 limited will allow me to leave 2 primes at home - Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm F2 MC P/KA and DA 50mm F 1.8

so who knows what might be in my future ( anniversary is in September after all )

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-08-2018 at 03:21 AM.
05-08-2018, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the 21, 40, and the 70mm Limiteds and none of them are up for debate as to whether they are for sale or not.... they aren't

all have peculiarities, strengths, weaknesses, etc - just like all lenses that you won't part with...

just don't forget: the DA Limiteds aren't the only Limiteds out there, there are also the Three Amigos (the FA Limiteds)...
05-08-2018, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I have the 21, 40, and the 70mm Limiteds and none of them are up for debate as to whether they are for sale or not.... they aren't

not for sale ?

how about a long time lease then?

" The New Territories " were leased by China to Great Britain for 99 years after all

05-08-2018, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #8
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been using mostly a DA 35 f:2.4 AL & DA 50 f:1.8. I also have a Sigma 18-35 f:1.8 DC ART, that I love!!! Now I'm afraid I just made a purchase that is ultimately going to cost me hundreds more. I picked up a mint DA 70 f:2.4 LTD. (My first LTD) for $225. I'm very exited about getting out and using it based on all the reviews. But if it lives up to my expectation's I don't think I'll be able to live without more LTD'S��
Be warned. If you really get hooked with the DA 70, you'll be looking to trade the Sigma for a DA 20-40 Ltd. It won't be quite as sharp as the Sigma (or the DA 35 f2.4 for that matter), and you would give up more than a stop, but it has the characteristic Limited rendering and lovely colours in a compact package - and it's beautifully built too. And WR. And it has HD coatings.

On the bright side, getting the Ltd zoom will stave off the compulsion to buy the DA 21, 35 and 40 Ltd. For a while anyway. ;-)
05-08-2018, 06:54 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So to your title question, you'll want to save up a couple thousand for these little gems. You're going to want them all. Just a fact of life. I started with the 43, and from there the HD 15, and then a friend loaned me a copy of their SMC 15, and I had to get that too for the starbursts for night photos, and then the 31 happened, and after that it was only a question of time, and yes, the 77 is now here and life is feeling much more complete. Someone poked at me the other day about Nikon. I thought about it for a millisecond, and replied, "nope - no Limiteds."
05-08-2018, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

@Photobill, since you have the K-3, I highly recommend the DA 15 Limited for wide angle photography. I love the way it handles color and flare. It's like magic for landscapes with the sun in frame, plus night cityscapes with street and building lights.

The FA 43 Limited gets less love from me. I just don't "see" scenes well at medium focal lengths, and I'm not a bokeh master who likes to shoot closeups wide open. That's why I haven't bought the 31 and 70.
05-08-2018, 11:27 AM   #11

Original Poster
😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱this could be spendy 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱
05-08-2018, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #12

I've the three limiteds: 15, 20-40 and 35mm macro. My view on them, in short.
-15mm: fantastic rendering and colours, flare resistence, small size. A joy in all senses.
-35mm macro: A monster for product photography: just 13cm minimal focusing distance before going macro. Sharp, beautiful colours, bokeh. Works nice for portraits too.
-20-40mm: it seem is "just" as sharp as 16-85 or 18-135, and less sharp than Sigma/Tamron 17-50. Apart from that and the variable maximal aperture: small, beautiful, weather sealed, quick and silent focusing, gorgeous rendering, low aberrations.....makes the 21, 35 and 40mm ltd somehow reduntant (of course, 35mm is a macro and thus another beast)

I almost bougth the 70mm limited, but in the end got a DA* 50-135, a much bigger and heavier lens than my limiteds and my k 50 1.4, but my god, is the best lens I've ever used.

I would definetively get the 15mm ltd as next step, if I were in your position. Is truly a gem.
05-09-2018, 12:11 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gianclaudio Quote

I would definetively get the 15mm ltd as next step, if I were in your position. Is truly a gem.
I'm going on vacation in November and going to pick up a WR lens. I'm only gong to take one lens so it will need to be very versatile. It's going to be either a DA 20-40 LTD or a 16-85 ED DC WR.
I will probably end up getting both in the future but will only get one for the trip. I am leaning towards the 16-85 for the fuller range.
I would also appreciate any input on this decision.
05-09-2018, 12:26 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

The 16-85 is a no-brainer on APS-C. Very very good.
05-09-2018, 12:43 AM - 1 Like   #15

I'm going on vacation in November and going to pick up a WR lens. I'm only gong to take one lens so it will need to be very versatile. It's going to be either a DA 20-40 LTD or a 16-85 ED DC WR.
I will probably end up getting both in the future but will only get one for the trip. I am leaning towards the 16-85 for the fuller range.
I would also appreciate any input on this decision.
If you're going to travel with only one lens, then the 16-85mm seems like a better bet. Those extra 4mm at the wide end makes a lot of difference, not to mention the whole 45mm at the tele end.
Bear in mind though, the 20-40 is smaller and much, much lighter....so the 20-40 and 70 ltd (with 2,4 aperture unlike 5,6 of the 16-85 at the tele end) still weight less and are about the same size, combined. Of course, the 70 isn't weather resistent.......

If you are willing to bet on good weather for your telephoto use.... I get the 20-40 limited, as the quality and design will not let you wanting for more.

Good luck!