Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2018, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Early Takumar 135mm f/3.5 vs. SMC Pentax M 135mm f/3.5

Took this two vintage lenses out for a quick comparison.

The Tak goes always first.
Hand-held, so there are differences in the f.o.v.

@f/3.5

@f/8

@f/22

05-09-2018, 06:39 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It might be better to keep the exposure the same and the iso the same. As it is there are differences and it's hard to know if those differences bias the results.
05-09-2018, 06:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
It might be better to keep the exposure the same and the iso the same. As it is there are differences and it's hard to know if those differences bias the results.
Yeah, good advice.
05-09-2018, 06:52 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cabessius Quote
Yeah, good advice.
I do want to say I'm very interested. I enjoy these side by side comparisons.

05-09-2018, 01:27 PM   #5
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect the exposure and Iso are the same. What you are seeing is the better light transference of the later coatings ie the t stop is different. Because the M is a little overexposed it looks a little softer but overall the result is what I expect. My M series is the worst of my bunch and it appears the older the better. I tend to blame the coatings for this - maybe they are getting more light through but the coatings are not quite getting it in the right place.
05-09-2018, 02:25 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I suspect the exposure and Iso are the same. What you are seeing is the better light transference of the later coatings ie the t stop is different. Because the M is a little overexposed it looks a little softer but overall the result is what I expect. My M series is the worst of my bunch and it appears the older the better. I tend to blame the coatings for this - maybe they are getting more light through but the coatings are not quite getting it in the right place.
Look at the EXIF data - most are not using the same ISO in the comparison shots. A few are. For example at f/3.5 the Tak was shot at ISO 100, f3.5, 1/1000s the M was shot at ISO 400, f3.5 and 1/2000s (a 1 stop difference in absolute exposure and an ISO mismatch). I expect the green button metering vs. stop down Av metering may play a role here but I was simply suggesting that a manual exposure with all variables held constant save for the lens would give us a clearer view of the differences. I'm grateful for what this offers and have neither the lenses nor the patience to do even this much so kudos to our OP.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 05-09-2018 at 02:30 PM.
05-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The reason for the exposure variation is that I shot the Tak in TaV mode and the K in M mode with green button metering (my mistake).
Next time both will be in M mode with identical ISO and speed.
05-09-2018, 02:53 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cabessius Quote
The reason for the exposure variation is that I shot the Tak in TaV mode and the K in M mode with green button metering (my mistake).
Next time both will be in M mode with identical ISO and speed.
It's still helpful to see the out of focus transitions and some other stuff. Don't beat yourself up. I do think it also exposes that the two methods are not identical. There have been a number of people exploring this and most tend to say that the optical preview mode is the best of the three. With the ease of recovery of files I wouldn't worry too much about it except when doing comparisons or otherwise matching multiple files.

05-09-2018, 04:38 PM   #9
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My apologies - I hadn't realised the exif was availible by going over to flicker. Yep they gotta be done in M mode.