Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2022, 08:30 AM - 2 Likes   #1246
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Saw this tiny butterfly two days in a row. Less than an inch when wings are expanded. Taken with my KP, 55-300 PLM.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
08-03-2022, 03:41 PM - 5 Likes   #1247
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Brown Pelican Pelecanus occidentalis in flight

photographed as it flew by Oceanic Society's " Salty Lady " as it traveled to the Farallon Islands
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-03-2022 at 03:47 PM.
08-05-2022, 12:00 AM - 6 Likes   #1248
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Morning walk in Plenty Gorge

With the K3-III
1. You're going to need a bigger pouch

2. Pied Currawong

3. White-faced Heron
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
08-05-2022, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #1249
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

pregame warm up

Cubs' Patrick Wisdom playing catch with his daughters

7 28 22

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-05-2022 at 10:43 AM.
08-05-2022, 10:38 AM   #1250
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EricBT Quote
With the K3-III
1. You're going to need a bigger pouch

2. Pied Currawong

3. White-faced Heron
Impressive photos!
08-05-2022, 11:39 AM - 5 Likes   #1251

Nice kitty

08-05-2022, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #1252
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

foggy San Franscisco Bay

Sailboat passing Alcatraz

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-05-2022 at 02:45 PM.
08-05-2022, 02:54 PM   #1253
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EricBT Quote
Morning walk in Plenty Gorge
That was a productive walk Eric. Very nice set.
08-05-2022, 05:41 PM - 2 Likes   #1254
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
foggy San Franscisco Bay

Sailboat passing Alcatraz
As a sport sailor in a tough environment--Newfoundland--I follow such things and one thing I've run across is that San Fran sailors average a rather large number of knockdowns as for some reason they never like to reef (note the boat in the far background). This is one of the VERY few times I've EVER seen a pic of a sensible sailor in SF Bay! He's looking to be at pretty close to a max efficient heel with no spanker at all mounted and a single-reefed main. Basically he's reduced his sail area by around half.

Constantly burying the rail is exciting, I suppose, but it actually isn't at all the fastest method of sailing most times as both the keel and the sails lose a lot of effective area at high angles. Depending on the exact direction of the wind in relation to course, my particular boat does best at ~17-20 degrees (beam reach--i.e., perpendicular to wind) to ~23 degrees (close hauled--i.e. into the wind as close as possible) degrees of heel.

Last weekend in swirling 20-25 knot winds in my home arm near the marina I pinned the pitch meter at 45 degrees twice as the swirls came off the cliffs even while completely double reefed (i.e, sail area reduced to about 1/7th), but that is terrible for speed and not much good for people either--generally boats can take far more punishment than people. I was single-handing, but if I'd had non-experienced passengers aboard I would have motored as to beginners a 45 degree heel is downright terrifying. But that's nowhere near a knockdown where the heel hits 90.

Last edited by jgnfld; 08-05-2022 at 05:58 PM.
08-05-2022, 05:58 PM   #1255
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
As a sport sailor in a tough environment--Newfoundland--I follow such things and one thing I've run across is that San Fran sailors average a rather large number of knockdowns as for some reason they never like to reef (note the boat in the far background). This is one of the VERY few times I've EVER seen a pic of a sensible sailor in SF Bay! He's looking to be at pretty close to a max efficient heel with no spanker at all mounted and a single-reefed main. Basically he's reduced his sail area by around half. . . .
I'm not a sailor so all that " is greek to me "

we were on a cruise on a catamaran with these folks when I took the photos:

QuoteQuote:
For an hour and half, you’ll be treated to fantastic views of Alcatraz Island, the city skyline, the Golden Gate bridge and the Pacific Ocean. If adventure is your style, try out our deck trampolines (be warned, you may get wet!). Super-safe for families and kids - the netting allows you the exhilarating feeling of having the waves rush under your feet, and are also comfortable for just lounging in the sun. Want a break from the wind? Come inside our protected cabin, have a seat and continue to enjoy the sights of the sky and water. Soda, beer and wine are available for purchase at the cabin bar. Our sailing catamarans give a uniquely stable and quiet ride without the noise of engines—you’ll be amazed at the speed wind in your sails can give you! Pick up an audio tour (available in 7 languages) with a helpful navigation guide providing information about San Francisco’s landmarks as you sail past them. Our captain and crew are always happy to snap a photo or answer your questions about San Francisco or our catamarans—you’ll quickly learn our passion for sailing!
https://www.adventurecat.com/bay-cruise-san-francisco-sailing/
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-05-2022 at 06:06 PM.
08-05-2022, 06:05 PM   #1256
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I'm not a sailor so all that " is greek to me "

we were on a cruise on a catamaran with these folks when I took the photos:

https://www.adventurecat.com/bay-cruise-san-francisco-sailing/
Cats are a bit of a different beast. But one thing is they are VERY hard to right after a knockdown as when they flip they tend to stay flipped being stable in that orientation, unlike a center keel boat. Large cats with cabins have escape hatches in the bottoms.

In any case again...nice pics. Must have been a fun day as the winds do look like they were up a bit.

As for the rest: "Reduce your damn sail area, you idiots. You'll sail faster and you won't see knockdowns" about covers it.

Last edited by jgnfld; 08-05-2022 at 06:15 PM.
08-05-2022, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #1257
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Many years ago, as an engineering grad student, my thesis advisor went on sabbatical at Cal Tech. In the middle of his time out there, he flew me and another grad student out from NY and we picked up and sailed a chartered Islander 30 monohull, out of San Pedro to
Catalina. Back east we had spent a lot of time racing multihulls (including on a couple of multihull Bermuda races) and, as an undergraduate, I designed a hydrofoil sailboat for my senior design project*. We owned a couple of world speed records (back in the '70s) with that boat. In any event, we didn't have a great deal of experience sailing monohulls and, while heading towards Catalina, we deliberately put the lee rail under water in order to get some good pictures. Kind of tough to adequately keep control of the boat under those conditions! If we had put any of our multihulls at those heel angles, we would have been in deep trouble. Unfortunately, when I left school, somehow those pictures got lost. Nevertheless, I ended up willing to trade the excitement of a monohull's heeling capability for the sheer speed of a multihull any day of the week!

*There are some pictures of that boat (named [nf]2) floating around on this site.

Last edited by subsea; 08-05-2022 at 06:30 PM.
08-05-2022, 10:31 PM - 1 Like   #1258
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
That was a productive walk Eric. Very nice set.
Thanks Des, the wetlands there almost always have something of interest to see.
08-08-2022, 11:31 AM - 2 Likes   #1259
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

from the 07 29 22 Cubs v. Giants game

trying for two

no Double Play, score it a Fielder's Choice
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
08-12-2022, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #1260
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple of cormorants warming up on the beach after diving for a meal! K-3III and DA 55-300mm PLM @300mm.

Cormorants_warming_up_20220812
by Mark Stern, on Flickr