Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2018, 08:24 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Users of ND filters.

Hello Folks,
I have a simple question, before ordering my filters. I bought a filter holder that calls for filters without the foam rubber seal. Do the major filter companies like Lee and Nisi come with the filter already installed, or is the gasket shipped with the filter and the user installs it?
Thank you,
Terry

05-11-2018, 09:39 AM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Hello Folks,
I have a simple question, before ordering my filters. I bought a filter holder that calls for filters without the foam rubber seal. Do the major filter companies like Lee and Nisi come with the filter already installed, or is the gasket shipped with the filter and the user installs it?
Thank you,
Terry
hej Terry,
I'm using the 100mm-Lee-filters, and the ND-filters like BigStopper, little Stopper come as you can see on the attached photo on the right side....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6 Plus  Photo 
05-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sealight Quote
hej Terry,
I'm using the 100mm-Lee-filters, and the ND-filters like BigStopper, little Stopper come as you can see on the attached photo on the right side....
Shucks, that's what I thought. Do you think the gasket would be easy to remove? Thank you for replying so quick.
Terry
05-11-2018, 10:49 AM   #4
Forum Member

Shucks, that's what I thought. Do you think the gasket would be easy to remove? Thank you for replying so quick.
Terry
phew- well, given my feel I'd say it doesn't look like "mission impossible" to me, though I don't want to finger around too much on the gasket...when I compare both filters on the photo I can say, that the little stopper/ big stopper aren't the same thickness as the nd-grading you see lying left of it- so if I'd remove the gasket it wouldn't hold no longer in my filter-holder...why is it your holder needs without this kind of seal? as this also eliminates lightreflexes that might interfere with your shot- usually this filter is used placed closest to your lens...

05-11-2018, 01:08 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
phew- well, given my feel I'd say it doesn't look like "mission impossible" to me, though I don't want to finger around too much on the gasket...when I compare both filters on the photo I can say, that the little stopper/ big stopper aren't the same thickness as the nd-grading you see lying left of it- so if I'd remove the gasket it wouldn't hold no longer in my filter-holder...why is it your holder needs without this kind of seal? as this also eliminates lightreflexes that might interfere with your shot- usually this filter is used placed closest to your lens...
Finding a 100mm filter holder that doesn't vignette is quite a task. The one I found is from Bombo Photography. The holder itself is designed not to vignette and blocks light. My lens is the Irix 15mm Blackstone. So, I need filters without the foam gasket.
Terry
05-11-2018, 01:55 PM   #6
Forum Member

now that's kinda funny- facing similar 'problems' currently- I also bought this Irixlens recently to have a wideangle with my new K-1 (since my beloved 18mm I mostly used on my K-3 isn't FF), and am also still evaluating, if I can use my set of filters with this...after bit of research I did I'm still not 100% decided yet...there is a designated push-on-filterholder by Lee, that shall be usable with the 100mm- filters on lenses as the 15mm Irix...while I don't mind about a bit of vignetting though my feeling is, it would be best/safest to go for the bigger 150mm-filtersystem (which for me right now is no option) in case one hasn't invested in filters yet...
05-11-2018, 03:52 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
why is it your holder needs without this kind of seal? as this also eliminates lightreflexes that might interfere with your shot
What he said.

if your filter does not fit well in the filter holder you may as well forget about long exposures.

05-11-2018, 04:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're shooting long exposures (which is kind f the point ) any light leak around the ND filter is going to affect the image. Mixing brands is asking for incompatibility issues like this.

I opted for the Lee 150 system, so I can use them on my DFA15-30. I have step up rings to fit the holder to any lens with a filter diameter of 62, 67, 77 or 82mm, so my DFA28-105, FA20, FA*24, DFA24-70, FA*85, DFA*70-200, DA*300 and my 645 35, 55, 120 and 150 are all covered. I'll keep a few 49 and 58mm circular filters, but all the bigger ones are going.
05-11-2018, 06:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
If you're shooting long exposures (which is kind f the point ) any light leak around the ND filter is going to affect the image. Mixing brands is asking for incompatibility issues like this.
Exactly, Light leaks anywhere in the optical path are exacerbated with long exposure durations and can lead to completely unusable images. I'd recommend using the holder designed by Lee to suit this filter - using anything else will might save you money but will likely result in less than optimal results.
05-12-2018, 06:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
What he said.

if your filter does not fit well in the filter holder you may as well forget about long exposures.
Hi Peter,
The holder I found is designed to eliminate light itself. I looked at Lee's foundation kit, but the 95mm lens adapter vignettes itself, on the Irix 15mm. I was told that the Formatt Hitech Firecrest filters does not have the foam gaskets on them. I sure like for someone to verify this.
Thanks,
Terry

---------- Post added 05-12-18 at 06:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

I opted for the Lee 150 system, so I can use them on my DFA15-30. I have step up rings to fit the holder to any lens with a filter diameter of 62, 67, 77 or 82mm, so my DFA28-105, FA20, FA*24, DFA24-70, FA*85, DFA*70-200, DA*300 and my 645 35, 55, 120 and 150 are all covered. I'll keep a few 49 and 58mm circular filters, but all the bigger ones are going.
Hi Sandy,
The owner of the company guaranteed me that the filter holder will not have light leaks, nor will it vignette. We'll see.
Terry
05-12-2018, 06:50 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Exactly, Light leaks anywhere in the optical path are exacerbated with long exposure durations and can lead to completely unusable images. I'd recommend using the holder designed by Lee to suit this filter - using anything else will might save you money but will likely result in less than optimal results.
Hi Digitalis,
Here's a look at the holder. He has a good return policy.
Terry
Attached Images

05-12-2018, 07:21 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The holder I found is designed to eliminate light itself. I looked at Lee's foundation kit, but the 95mm lens adapter vignettes itself, on the Irix 15mm
According to this review [TIP] 3 filters holders for the wide angle lens Irix 15mm f/2.4 | Pixedo Lab the lee 150 system 95mm adapter does not vignette on your lens, but is a more expensive option as you have to use 150mm filters. If you want to also use filters on your Pentax 15-30 then this is irrelevant as you will need 150 size filters for that lens.

They seem to like Irix's own filter holder which uses 100 mm size filters. With the one you have (and I suspect the Irix one) you will simply have to buy a 100mm size filter that has no foam light seal.
05-12-2018, 08:45 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
According to this review [TIP] 3 filters holders for the wide angle lens Irix 15mm f/2.4 | Pixedo Lab the lee 150 system 95mm adapter does not vignette on your lens, but is a more expensive option as you have to use 150mm filters. If you want to also use filters on your Pentax 15-30 then this is irrelevant as you will need 150 size filters for that lens.

They seem to like Irix's own filter holder which uses 100 mm size filters. With the one you have (and I suspect the Irix one) you will simply have to buy a 100mm size filter that has no foam light seal.
Peter,
Things have changed a little, around here. We were hit with a ton of unexpected college expenses for my Sons. As we planned how to pay them without using savings, I offered to return the two zooms, and get the Irix 15mm in exchange. It was just the right thing to do. They are great boys and make straight A's. I was ready to buy the Lee 15mm system for both my 15-30 and 24-70. Believe it or not, Irix still has not put their filter holder on the market. I'm dealing directly with Irix USA. The Lee 95mm lens adapter for the Foundation System does vignette. Also, my filter holder comes on Monday. What is the best way to test if for vignetting, without a filter? Would you happen to know if Formatt Hitech Firecrest filters have a seal? Overall, I really can't complain. I still have the 3 FA limited lens, and Irix 15mm for my K1.
05-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Terry. If the boys are putting the effort in then you are right to put them first. I am sure they appreciate the sacrifices you make !

I don't have any experience with the Hitech brand, only Lee. My advice would be to look for some second hand ND filters on ebay and try them in your holder. Take a picture of a bright blue sky at smallest aperture and look at the corners. That will tell you the degree of vignetting. If it is not serious it is very easy to correct in PP either by exposing more in the corners or simply cropping.
05-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi Terry. If the boys are putting the effort in then you are right to put them first. I am sure they appreciate the sacrifices you make !

I don't have any experience with the Hitech brand, only Lee. My advice would be to look for some second hand ND filters on ebay and try them in your holder. Take a picture of a bright blue sky at smallest aperture and look at the corners. That will tell you the degree of vignetting. If it is not serious it is very easy to correct in PP either by exposing more in the corners or simply cropping.
Great, will do.
Terry