Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2018, 04:34 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Modified Pentax Auto-Takumar 35mm f/2.3 lens

Some of you already know that I love to modify my lenses.

Just today I inverted the front lens element on one of my Pentax Auto-Takumar 35mm f/2.3 lenses.

Below are a few of the test images that I took with this lens on my K1 camera. I've seen photos of this modified lens on Pentax APS-C bodies, but have never seen any photos taken with this modified lens on the full frame Pentax K1.

I like the swirly bokeh effect this modified lens produces.

Next week I'm traveling to one of my favorite botanical gardens. I'll be sure to take this modified Tak lens with me, as well as my unmodified 35mm f/2.3 lens. It might be interesting to do side-by-side comparisons of images produced by modified and unmodified versions of this lens.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
05-12-2018, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Some of you already know that I love to modify my lenses.

Just today I inverted the front lens element on one of my Pentax Auto-Takumar 35mm f/2.3 lenses.

Below are a few of the test images that I took with this lens on my K1 camera. I've seen photos of this modified lens on Pentax APS-C bodies, but have never seen any photos taken with this modified lens on the full frame Pentax K1.

I like the swirly bokeh effect this modified lens produces.

Next week I'm traveling to one of my favorite botanical gardens. I'll be sure to take this modified Tak lens with me, as well as my unmodified 35mm f/2.3 lens. It might be interesting to do side-by-side comparisons of images produced by modified and unmodified versions of this lens.
Really nice pics. I also want to add one to the collection, but a good one is rare. Keep us posted.
05-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
Really nice pics. I also want to add one to the collection, but a good one is rare. Keep us posted.
Indeed, nice copies of this over 50 year old lens are hard to find. I worked for over a year to find my two excellent + copies. Both of my copies are the newer version with the "blue" feet markings, and "yellow" meter markings.

The glass used in this lens is notoreously soft, and it's quite hard to find copies of this lens without significant scraches/rub-marks all over the front element.

This lens has a front element that is extremely easy to invert. All one needs is a spanner wrench to invert it.

On the above photos, in order to achieve a closer focus, I installed an extension tube (the thinnest one of the three that come in the set) between the lens and the m42 adapter.

Robert, after my little side-by-side test next week, if you are still interested in this lens, please let me know as I might be able to help you find one.
05-12-2018, 06:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very cool. I like the effect with the first and third the best. I like it much better than the m 50 2 i reversed recently.

05-13-2018, 04:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HI nice pictures. Did you invert the front Element?? I have two of these Lens , and rebuilt one to achieve a smooth focus. I love this old Lens.
05-13-2018, 06:53 AM   #6

How do landscape shots look like with this lens?

Cool mod btw
05-13-2018, 07:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Master Quote
How do landscape shots look like with this lens?

Cool mod btw
Here is one I shot this morning

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
05-13-2018, 09:12 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

un modified for comparison

Here is one from a normal Lens shot wide open @ 2.3
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
05-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Here is one from a normal Lens shot wide open @ 2.3
Lovely "bokeh balls". A trademark of this wonderful old lens!
05-13-2018, 01:02 PM   #10

Here is one I shot this morning

So the effect of the element reversal is present mostly with macro shots?
05-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Master Quote
So the effect of the element reversal is present mostly with macro shots?
I didn't even invert it here, this is straight up stock Lens
05-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here are two more pictures.

---------- Post added 05-13-18 at 07:01 PM ----------

this Lens is a Legend, what I would love to know is who designed it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
05-14-2018, 12:56 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

this Lens is a Legend, what I would love to know is who designed it.

The designer must be either Mr Ryohei Suzuki or Mr Yasuo Takahashi. Mr Suzuki designed all the original M37 Takumars and some of the early normal and long M42 lenses, while Mr Takahashi created all the wide angle M42 classics. I haven't got any definite information about the 35mm/2.3 but my money would be on Mr Suzuki being the designer. It seems more in his style.
05-14-2018, 02:53 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
The designer must be either Mr Ryohei Suzuki or Mr Yasuo Takahashi. Mr Suzuki designed all the original M37 Takumars and some of the early normal and long M42 lenses, while Mr Takahashi created all the wide angle M42 classics. I haven't got any definite information about the 35mm/http://www.aohc.it/testi.php?id_testi=532.3 but my money would be on Mr Suzuki being the designer. It seems more in his style.
I think you are right http://www.aohc.it/testi.php?id_testi=53
06-11-2018, 02:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Indeed, nice copies of this over 50 year old lens are hard to find. I worked for over a year to find my two excellent + copies. Both of my copies are the newer version with the "blue" feet markings, and "yellow" meter markings.

The glass used in this lens is notoreously soft, and it's quite hard to find copies of this lens without significant scraches/rub-marks all over the front element.

This lens has a front element that is extremely easy to invert. All one needs is a spanner wrench to invert it.

On the above photos, in order to achieve a closer focus, I installed an extension tube (the thinnest one of the three that come in the set) between the lens and the m42 adapter.

Robert, after my little side-by-side test next week, if you are still interested in this lens, please let me know as I might be able to help you find one.

Hello Dave, i am really sorry, i have read your post and wanted to reply, but as it happens all too often, i got carried away with other stuff and totally forgot to reply. Have you made any further experiments with your lenses?

p.s. i might take you up on that offer, if it's still valid.