Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2018, 10:32 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax 150-450 problem

I got the Pentax 150-450 lens for Christmas 2017 and April was the first chance I had to give it a good work out. The problem I have is the barrel seems to stick as I zoom out or in at 2 spots, like a seal is not right or maybe an out of round barrel.
It turns tight but smooth right at first but hits a spot where it feels like something is jamming it, then back to normal tight and back to feeling jammed. Anyone else have this lens and it is doing the same ? I assume I would have to send it to Precision for warranty work. From what I have read about them makes me worry how that will turn out.
It seems to struggle with focus some. Even with a tripod and using the 3 second delay with the remote. This picture here (3005) was typical of what it was doing on my K-1. The second one shows the camera focus with the 15-30 is fine. If they have to repair the sticking barrel do they re-calibrate the focus on the lens ? Thanks for any thoughts on this !!!
Have a great day
Gary

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
05-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the same camera and lenses. The 150-450 is really sharp and great IQ. I did make a small adjustment in the in camera focus setting. Looking at your EXIF data my guess would be the shutter speed needs bumped up. You are set at 160 which is too slow at 450 even with tripod and delay. I had the same experience with mine. Also at 160 you are in the "shutter shock" zone for the K1. With any long telephoto I try to stay at 1000 speed shutter or more. I know the old rule of thumb is shutter speed at recip of focal length but I have found faster is better when it can be had. That lens does very well wide open but still you might try moving a bit closer to mid range on f stop. The K1 handles higher ISO well so you might try bumping up a few steps from 100 to make room for faster shutter and smaller aperture. Priority to the shutter speed. Just my OP but has worked for me. Your photo with the 15-30 is great. There you shutter was well above focal length although still in that pesky shock zone.
05-14-2018, 11:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi , the way the lens works when zooming means that the lens groups inside the lens have two points where they move on a cam system, this makes it feel a little stiffer when zooming at those spots, if you search the forums there are some pictures of the lens disassembled that show the cam inside the lens, don't panic it is normal

---------- Post added 05-15-18 at 05:09 AM ----------

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/189-repairs-warranty-service...ax-150-450.jpg

this is the picture showing the cams

Last edited by garywakeling; 05-14-2018 at 12:10 PM.
05-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

There have been occasional reports of the 150-450 jamming at some points, usually around 180mm, perhaps due to the WR seals slipping around, or something. But it doesn't seem a regular occurence.

150-450mm lens jammed - PentaxForums.com

05-14-2018, 03:59 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Hi , the way the lens works when zooming means that the lens groups inside the lens have two points where they move on a cam system, this makes it feel a little stiffer when zooming at those spots, if you search the forums there are some pictures of the lens disassembled that show the cam inside the lens, don't panic it is normal

---------- Post added 05-15-18 at 05:09 AM ----------

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/189-repairs-warranty-service...ax-150-450.jpg

this is the picture showing the cams
I was looking around and see where some people have had their lens stick at 180 which is where mine starts to stick and frees up at around 210-220 and than again at the top but not as bad as the bottom. Thanks for your reply !!!
05-14-2018, 04:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uncle_dad Quote
I was looking around and see where some people have had their lens stick at 180 which is where mine starts to stick and frees up at around 210-220 and than again at the top but not as bad as the bottom.
Just checked and the 150-450 that I use does he same.
05-15-2018, 09:36 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Just checked and the 150-450 that I use does he same.
So does it feel normal to you ? Mine seems too stiff but that might just be me..
05-15-2018, 04:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uncle_dad Quote
So does it feel normal to you ? Mine seems too stiff but that might just be me..
It feels normal.
When I point it straight down with the zoom lock disengaged the lens will slowly creep all the way to 450mm, slowing down between 250-300mm.
edit: it did not use to have much of a zoom creep when new, it has loosened up with time.

05-20-2018, 02:25 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by catfishjohn Quote
I have the same camera and lenses. The 150-450 is really sharp and great IQ. I did make a small adjustment in the in camera focus setting. Looking at your EXIF data my guess would be the shutter speed needs bumped up. You are set at 160 which is too slow at 450 even with tripod and delay. I had the same experience with mine. Also at 160 you are in the "shutter shock" zone for the K1. With any long telephoto I try to stay at 1000 speed shutter or more. I know the old rule of thumb is shutter speed at recip of focal length but I have found faster is better when it can be had. That lens does very well wide open but still you might try moving a bit closer to mid range on f stop. The K1 handles higher ISO well so you might try bumping up a few steps from 100 to make room for faster shutter and smaller aperture. Priority to the shutter speed. Just my OP but has worked for me. Your photo with the 15-30 is great. There you shutter was well above focal length although still in that pesky shock zone.
Catfishjohn was right as can be !!! I shot some at high shutter speed and sharp as can be... Helps if you know how to use the equipment... Never had a problem with shutter shock til now, old dog learning new tricks !!!!
Thanks for all reply's.
Have a great day
Gary
11-12-2018, 03:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

My 3 year old lens is on its way back to Japan, and probably going to cost me a truckload of dollars to repair.
I was having intermittent problems with the auto focus ( the camera would switch to manual focus while I was trying to track "things) but was reluctant to send it away for repair because I suspected it would have to be sent back to Japan (I use the lens most days for birds, motorcyles etc.)
Then the zoom died. It started grating and jammed between 200 and 450.
I have been told there is a problem with the rear elements, so goodness knows when it will return and how useful/reliable it will be after repair.
Current price for a replacement is about $AUD3300.

Read more at: D-FA 150-450 focus limiter stuck - PentaxForums.com