Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #1

tamron 35-70 1:3.5 Bbar MC 17A?

hi guys, saw this lens in a camera shop somewhere selling for AUD49. wondering if anyone has any experience with this lens and opinions, if its worth picking up. links to info about this lens below.

thanks in advance!

Tamron Adaptall-2 35-70mm F/3.5 Model 17A

M42 Tamron 35-70_3.5

09-08-2008, 11:13 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
For the price its worth it.I have one and on my k20 it makes a nice portrait lens.As for sharpness I find it more than decent.
09-09-2008, 02:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I've never used that lens, but have good experience of other adaptall lenses, especially if you have the KA adapter (unfortunately itself more expensive than the lens you are looking at). However, if you are looking for a zoom in this range I would suggest looking for the Tamron SP 35-80mm f2.8-3.8. Its fairly high speed and great macro features (1:2.5 or near life/size with the 2x BBAR converter) and all over frame quality is a nice combo. A sleeper as they say, living in the shadow of the SP 90 2.5 macro, forgotten, ignored, going for the price you are offered for this lens, or less, much cheaper than the SP 90. OK, even if you were not looking for macro lens, I think this is both a better normal zoom, and it adds a macro feature almost comparable to a dedicated macro lens and for about the same price.

Tamron SP Adaptall-2 35-80mm F/2.8-3.8 Model 01A

"Tamron's SP 35-80 F/2.8-3.8 zoom lens is, without question, the best zoom lens ever manufactured within its class and price point. The sharpness and contrast of this lens is extraordinary compared to similar after market lenses and many OEM lenses. Only the similar Nikkor performs better, but not by very much. Macro performance across the central two thirds of the film plane* stands up very well against dedicated macro lenses. Amazingly, this lens yields very good macro performance across the entire film plane when used with Tamron's SP 2X tele-converter. There is no push button or macro ring which must be turned to enter the macro mode. The user merely has to continuously turn the focus ring in order to focus from infinity to the minimum focus distance for macro work. Tamron calls this feature "continuous focusing" or CF. While turning the focus ring, the zoom ring will automatically turn as necessary until the zoom ring is at the 80mm zoom setting."

*Meaning all of a KxxD or KxxxD digital sensor.

Here is a current e-bay example (I'm not the seller, so it is not about promoting my own sales).

Then again, looking at the same source, they say nice things about the lens you are looking at also with macro features, and say it is related to the SP 35-80, which is a good sign. Since the 35-70 came a few years later it might have been a budget version of the SP 35-80 (SP was their "pro-level")? Still looking at the resolution and contrast tables it appears that the SP35-80 beats the 35-70 with some marginal.

Good luck!
09-09-2008, 05:09 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I bought the SP 35-80mm f2.8 just a couple of days ago on Ebay for 26 which is madness imo. I can only thin k they go so cheap because everyone wants autofocus but I am just as happy with manual.
It also matches well with my Tamron 19AH SP f3.5 70-210mm and 01F 2x teleconverter which I use all the time and both having the same filter and lens hood size is a bonus as well.

09-09-2008, 07:16 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
I bought the SP 35-80mm f2.8 just a couple of days ago on Ebay for 26 which is madness imo. I can only thin k they go so cheap because everyone wants autofocus but I am just as happy with manual.
Definitely madness, but good for us.
Yes, manual focus is one explanation, and among those who understand you have limited use for autofocus in macro, they might look for the Tamron SP 90/2.5, which is well known among the older good macro lenses, overlooking that odd and unknown little SP zoom that comes close to the SP 90 in quality and reproduction scale at 80 mm (1:2.5 as compared to 1:2 and 1:1.25 as compared to 1:1 with the converter or tube on the 35-80 compared to the SP 90, check the resolution and contrast tables on that adaptall site also, a lot of quality for the money), and yet cost close to nothing. And people looking to use manual lenses on their digital body typically look for that super-wide, telephoto or macro lens they can't afford new...they don't think about replacing their kit zoom with a 20-30 years old manual "normal" zoom. But the SP 25-80 fits so nicely on the LX or Super A when I take them out for some fresh air...and then I don't need to regret leaving anything at home if I meet a flower or a bug (well, if the bug is a speedy one I better have the 01F converter in the pocket).
09-09-2008, 07:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Definitely madness, but good for us.
Yes, manual focus is one explanation, and among those who understand you have limited use for autofocus in macro, they might look for the Tamron SP 90/2.5, which is well known among the older good macro lenses, overlooking that odd and unknown little SP zoom that comes close to the SP 90 in quality and reproduction scale at 80 mm (1:2.5 as compared to 1:2 and 1:1.25 as compared to 1:1 with the converter or tube on the 35-80 compared to the SP 90,
My very first adaptall 2 lens was the Tamron 90mm SP f2.8 manual focus, it came with the Pentax PK/A mount and cost me 75. again from Ebay. I still have it and it gets used most days .. and when combined with the 01F teleconverter it is excellent indeed.
I managed to buy anotrher PK/A mount off a UK Pentax forum for 35 as I keep buying Adaptall 2 lenses
09-09-2008, 08:03 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
My very first adaptall 2 lens was the Tamron 90mm SP f2.8 manual focus, it came with the Pentax PK/A mount and cost me 75. again from Ebay. I still have it and it gets used most days .. and when combined with the 01F teleconverter it is excellent indeed.
I managed to buy anotrher PK/A mount off a UK Pentax forum for 35 as I keep buying Adaptall 2 lenses
You could easily pay that much separately for both the SP90 and the KA adapter, so that's a great bargain.
Yes, I think there is a special sort of LBA for adaptall lenses, especially when you have the magic KA adapter that turn them all into A lenses with all exposure programs available. There is the 17mm, the 24 and 28mm, and the 500mm mirror lenses (I presume the only way to get KA on a mirror lens?) and the other long lenses, though they cost a bit.
09-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Sorry Chaos, it appears me and Mike (mostly me) has hijacked your thread. Sorry. I assume I need to adapt to my LBA

Back to your question: I would assume that lens is quite good (with the usual reservations for how honest the seller is and what this exact copy has gone through), but it would be better if you found someone who had used precisely this model. Also, if you can wait for the SP35-80, it is probably better. Both these lenses are for sale now and then so you are not missing the last chance. Good luck!

09-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Get it.

Are you looking for a screw mount adaptall, a K, or a K-A? Which mount does it come with?

(if it's the K-A, slam the bills on the table, snatch it up and RUN!)
09-09-2008, 03:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote

(if it's the K-A, slam the bills on the table, snatch it up and RUN!)
I second that. Easily worth 100USD by itself!
09-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Is there a Tamron adaptall club here on pentaxforum, by the way? Should we start one?
(Oh shit, doing it again, hijacking the thread...)
09-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there a Tamron adaptall club here on pentaxforum, by the way? Should we start one?
(Oh shit, doing it again, hijacking the thread...)
There is a Tammy club. Adaptall is welcome...
09-09-2008, 07:08 PM   #13

Original Poster
hi guys, sorry for being mia, was pretty busy at work. yes it does have a KA mount, just the tiniest bit of dust on the lens elements, and good condition overall. for AUD 49 which is about 40 USD at current exchange rates.

so its a keeper? assuming its still there at the shop, which is a pretty inconspicuous shop anyway so im sure its still there. if i have your guys blessing ill take a "ciggy break" and drive out to the store asap! haha.

i use a k200d btw.
09-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #14

Original Poster
ok wait i just remembered its K mount cos i dont remember seeing contact points. should i still get it?
09-10-2008, 05:31 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chaos83 Quote
ok wait i just remembered its K mount cos i dont remember seeing contact points. should i still get it?
Then this is still the best advice I can give:

Back to your question: I would assume that lens is quite good (with the usual reservations for how honest the seller is and what this exact copy has gone through), but it would be better if you found someone who had used precisely this model. Also, if you can wait for the SP35-80, it is probably better. Both these lenses are for sale now and then so you are not missing the last chance. Good luck!
Had it a KA mount it would be robbery at that price (note that the adaptall KA mount only has three contacts ... know I did understood how that worked out when I took the effort to compare with some explanation on the web on how these contacts are used...don't ask me to explain it right now) and your door into auto aperture and all exposure programs of modern Pentax cameras for any adaptall lens you might buy in the future.