Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2018, 11:50 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's too bad that Pentax didn't make, say, and M 70 f2.4 back in the day...

05-21-2018, 03:49 PM   #17

Original Poster
Thank you very much to all of you. There are a lot of great suggestions.

First, let me answer some questions:

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Have you not kept the K-S2?
No, I still have it, but I seldom use it now, just for milky-way shots or very low light photography.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Try a good full-featured compatible Pentax flash in the hot shoe
I thought some time ago (I have a question posted somewhere), about a flash for my camera. However, at the end I bought a small continuous led light. It's much less powerful than the flash, though, but what you see is what you get

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
How do you like the images you're getting with the DA 35 f2.4?
They are quite good, this lens has one of the best price/performance ratio I've seen. Optically it's fast and very sharp, and it also has good contrast and saturation. Unfortunately, I usually shot with relatively wide apertures, and when it's not completely wide open the aperture blades are quite apparent. On the other hand, with the Z-1p and Z-20 I tend to fine tune the focus manually but this lens does not have quick-shift. I also miss a depth of field scale. But I'm not complaining, for its price this lens is superb, competing with much more expensive glasses.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I think if I were you I'd look for the FA 77, and if one wasn't available in my price range I'd look at the DFA 100. Alternately frame the subjects so that the softer parts of the DA 70 are cropped out and grab the FA 43 or F/FA 50 f1.4 as your normal lens. Keep the DA 35 for now.
It might work, yes. The ideal scenario would be to get the 77mm, if not, the 50mm. Keeping the 35mm. The 100mm FOV is very close to my 135mm and the lens is much bigger than the 70mm, so I am not very inclined to get the 100mm.

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
I'd probably go for one of the zooms
QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
I would suggest the F-series zooms
Thanks for the suggestion, but I think zooms do not match well with my way of working, I feel clumsy, I prefer fast sharp minimalist primes. On the other hand, I also favor fast primes because I cannot change the ISO mid-roll, and although I can push a Portra 400 a stop, or even two, the film gets more contrasty and grainy; I prefer my photos with less contrast and subtle grain, and a good creamy bokeh when needed.

I think this is the summary the proposed approaches that might solve the dilemma:

Keeping the SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL for the moment:
- Get a SMC Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited
- Get a SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR
- Get a SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.7 / F1.4

Or get the SMC Pentax-FA 35mm F2 AL and the SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.7/F1.4.

Regarding other suggestions, about manual focusing lenses, I think it will be better with autofocus, to minimize the probability of missed shots (to shot as fast as possible). Regarding the SMC Pentax-FA 35mm F2 AL, it seems too similar to my SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL (6 blades/regular bokeh, no quick shift, but it is faster). It seems that the only upgrade around this focal length would be the very expensive 43mm limited.

I am still thinking, but in the mean time, I made some quick numbers about the field of view of the various focal lengths and a graph.

I prefer 70mm over 50mm, but if I get a 100mm, then the 50mm is a solid candidate. I think I need over 17 degrees of difference in FOV to justify a new lens, or else, they will be too similar.
Attached Images

05-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My first guess would have been the SMC-F 35-70. It is great for the price.

I also like the FA28-105 power zoom that was contemporary with your PZ-1. It’s slow but a great range. Some folks prefer the slightly faster, non-power zoom variants.

-Eric
05-21-2018, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think there are some weird suggestions in here. I mean no disrespect but when the guy is trying to emulate the DA 70 2.4 but more functional on full frame, why are we getting 4x zooms with slow apertures or 3x power zooms with slow apertures?

Maybe the M 35-70 2.8-3.5? Jupiter 9, an 85mm f2.0 that will require a mount adapter? Sigma 70 Macro (not small and light for a prime but seems excellent in every other way)?

05-21-2018, 06:06 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think there are some weird suggestions in here. I mean no disrespect but when the guy is trying to emulate the DA 70 2.4 but more functional on full frame, why are we getting 4x zooms with slow apertures or 3x power zooms with slow apertures?
It's the internet... you'll get some weird stuff...

The F35-70 is easy... it's a single lens that matches exactly the FL the OP has now, it is well regarded, it doesn't vignette like the 70mm, and it is a snappy focuser. It's also cheap.

The FA28-105 isn't as weird as all that, either. IIRC, all of the weird power zoom stuff actually works on the PZ-1, and some of it is really handy for street work.
Set the focal length to 28mm, leave on the 'focus while zooming', and whenever you push the magic button, you have a hyperfocal wide angle. Bang.
It also provides a similar telephoto field of view on the PZ-1 to what the 70mm provides on APS-C (albeit about two stops slower) as well as a wider end that is good for street work.
It's also handy for chasing kids (which is how I use mine).

I could have suggested the 35-70 f2.8 from the ME-F. That would have been really weird

-Eric
05-21-2018, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At least it'd be a constant f2.8 max aperture. But it's not small or light.

The DA 70 just seems really hard to replace. Not much out there like it. Getting something with AF seems even harder.
05-21-2018, 06:50 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reading this, the two lenses that come to mind are the 43 and 77. I have the DA 35 and really like it on digital, but it holds nothing in comparison to the 43 on film.

05-22-2018, 01:26 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Reading this, the two lenses that come to mind are the 43 and 77. I have the DA 35 and really like it on digital, but it holds nothing in comparison to the 43 on film.
I have never shot my FA43 on my film body, but I guess that's the obvious choice if not worrying about the budget.
Affordable and fast is tricky, hence so many zoom suggestions. I am a prime person myself as well.

Seb
05-22-2018, 10:41 AM   #24

Original Poster
The DA 70 just seems really hard to replace. Not much out there like it. Getting something with AF seems even harder.

Indeed. Very.

Following Not a Number's link
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Pentax K-1 Lens Compatibility Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
I've found Pentaxforums Lens Search. Searching for full frame auto-focus primes between 50mm and 85mm yields to:

1) all the 50's
2) the 77mm limited
3) the 85mm star*, and

4) the 85mm soft lenses.

Just the 77mm Ltd. and the 85mm star* between the range limits, two fantastic lenses, but quite expensive.

I'm not gonna sell my 70mm Ltd, I'm very fond of it; so I guess I will have to save to get the 77mm.

Following Uncle Vanya's suggestion
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Alternately frame the subjects so that the softer parts of the DA 70 are cropped out and grab the FA 43 or F/FA 50 f1.4 as your normal lens. Keep the DA 35 for now.
, as I often shoot with wide apertures, the softer parts of the frame can get masked by the bokeh. Meanwhile, I'm gonna save money for the 77mm, I will skip the 43mm/50mm until I get the 77mm.

BTW, I know the 70mm in crop sensor is a bit longer (actually 1.5x), but I prefer the 70mm in full frame.

... and when you get used to minimalist fast sharp lenses, like the DA 35mm or 70mm Ltd, it's really difficult to go back to big slow lenses. As always this is just a personal preference.
05-22-2018, 09:32 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think the 77 will disappoint you. It's a great lens. The 70 is rather nice too, but that's an opinion I only formed from crop use.
05-22-2018, 09:59 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For now, just enjoy the lenses you have. The DA70 will need a bit of darkroom jiggery-pokery (cropping or corner masking) to hide the vignetting. Or manipulate them digitally from scans.

Or get a K-1

But really, you need the FA77. We all do.