Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2018, 03:09 PM   #1

Lens transition from APS-C to 35mm full frame

Hello,

I have a sort of dilemma that perhaps you already went through, and I would really appreciate some advice: I "upgraded" from APS-C to full frame. What happened is that I felt in love with film photography and a year ago I bought a Pentax Z-20 and a Pentax Z-1p. So the full frame I am talking about is actually 35mm film.

My original system was a K-S2, a SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL, aHD Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited, and aSMC Pentax-A 135mm F2.8.

My kind of photography is mostly portraits and "family-journalism" (and some street photography when I have the time). I've found that I feel most comfortable with small and fast primes.

The problem is that the 70mm, my main lens, doesn't work as well in full frame (the outer part of the frame is softer and vignettes a bit). Interestingly, the 35mm holds much better.My intention was to eventually upgrade the 35mm to something better (bokeh and optics), but as in film it's still a decent performer perhaps it is better to tackle the problem of the 70mm first.

I am thinking on adding a new lens to my collection, or substituting the 70mm, or substituting the 70mm and the 35mm. My budget is not defined yet, but I think I will need more than 500$ (it would be a pity to sell such a lovely lens, the 70mm limited).

Ideally I would like to cover a similar focal range: a normal / normal-wide lens and a short telephoto.

Any suggestion will be very much appreciated. Thanks!

05-20-2018, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #2

Your Pentax-A lens is full frame. You'll have to look at some of the test threads in regards to the DA lenses. A few will cover the 35mm frame, some will vignette at some focal lengths, some vignette at all focal lengths.

DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread - PentaxForums.com
Pentax K-1 Lens Compatibility Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Ricoh also has a list somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment.
05-20-2018, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you not kept the K-S2? The DA70 is still a wonderful crop lens, but I agree it does not shine on full frame.

For something still compact but properly full frame, look at the FA77 if you want character and bokeh for portraits, or the DFA100WR macro to open up a new world.
05-20-2018, 03:27 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

If you liked the field of view of your DA70/2.4 on APS-C, you probably want to look at something around the 105mm mark on 35mm film (so-called "full frame"). Sadly, lenses at this focal length aren't generally as short physically as you might like, but they needn't be all that bulky. A great choice, IMHO, would be one of the auto-focus 100mm f/2.8 macros. I have the SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR and it's a fantastic lens with lovely rendering for a wide variety of uses. Earlier versions are equally as good optically, from what I've been told, and can be picked up for less.

As for the DA35/2.4, if you want to replicate (approximately) the field of view you had on APS-C, you ought to be looking at a 50mm lens. Lots of choice here, obviously, but my suggestion would be either the F or FA50/1.7 or /1.4. I use the FA50/1.4 on both APS-C and full-frame, and it's a cracking lens. Not the sharpest wide open (and the bokeh can be a little busy there too), but stopped down a bit it's lovely in all respects

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-20-2018 at 04:14 PM.
05-20-2018, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I highly recommend the FA 35mm f/2. It is WA without being too wide- can serve as a wide/normal FOV, and versatile for many uses. Image quality is stellar for both FF and APS-C, where it it still a "normal" FOV. The other, of course, is the famed FA 77mm. Not that you'd sell your DA 70, unless you have to. There is a substantial difference in FL, as the DA 70mm actually tested at 65mm, while the FA 77mm is right on at 77mm. And the DA 70mm is better at edge performance at larger apertures, while the FA 77mm is better in the central area, and has top-notch bokeh. It is also a great low-light performer.

And there's no good reason to abandon APS-C, since each FOV has its advantages.

And BTW, the PZ-1p is a great camera. Try a good full-featured compatible Pentax flash in the hot shoe, using it for ceiling, or ceiling/wall corner bounce and then also flipping up the built-in flash for fill. That is one of its specialities.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-20-2018 at 03:55 PM.
05-20-2018, 04:19 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hyperfocal;

I still shoot 35mm film with my Super Program.
My suggestion is to find a good copy of the A35-105 f3.5 if you do not mind manual focusing.
Another great lens is the A70-210 f4.
Both of these lenses will create excellent images if you do your part.
I have some great photos using these two lenses with film and digital.

Clarence
05-20-2018, 04:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Here are some ideas I've had that should come in nicely under that $500 you mentioned;

Samyang (et al) 85mm 1.4
Pentax M 85 f2
Tamron 90mm f2.5 Macro, the 52B and 52BB sisters, which will require an Adaptall PK or PK-A mount if it doesn't come with one.

How do you like the images you're getting with the DA 35 f2.4? The few I've seen I thought were very nice, but there's not a lot out there.

05-20-2018, 05:14 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Tamron 90mm f2.5 Macro, the 52B and 52BB sisters, which will require an Adaptall PK or PK-A mount if it doesn't come with one.
I will add my voice to the suggestion of the Tamron SP 90/2.5 (52B). It does require an adapter and dates to the early 1980s, but is worth buying if you find one in good condition:
  • Very compact at its focal length (65mm diameter x ~70mm long)
  • Solid, all-metal build
  • Sharp looking
  • Semi-legendary reputation
  • Relatively inexpensive

Steve
05-20-2018, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hyperfocal Quote
I am thinking on adding a new lens to my collection, or substituting the 70mm, or substituting the 70mm and the 35mm. My budget is not defined yet, but I think I will need more than 500$ (it would be a pity to sell such a lovely lens, the 70mm limited).

Ideally I would like to cover a similar focal range: a normal / normal-wide lens and a short telephoto.
The FF equivalent FOV for 70mm on APS-C would be 105mm as BigMackCam mentions. If youʻre looking for something new with AF, that you can also use with either your KS-2 or potential FF DSLR one day, the Pentax SMC DFA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro is an excellent choice in terms of being relatively small, light, sharp, and fast enough. If itʻs a bit over your budget, you should find one used for under $500.

Pentax smc Pentax-D FA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro Lens 21910 B&H Photo

The equivalent for your 35mm would 50mm, so something like the Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 are still available new.
Pentax Normal SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Autofocus Lens 20817 B&H Photo

I would also consider a used Pentax 28-90mm F/3.5-5.6 SMC FA Silver as a nice street photography zoom that is light and very affordable:
Pentax 28-90mm F/3.5-5.6 SMC FA Silver K Mount Autofocus Lens {58} at KEH Camera Store

Or a used Pentax 50mm F/1.7 SMC F
Pentax 50mm F/1.7 SMC F K Mount Autofocus Lens {49} at KEH Camera Store

or a used Pentax 100mm F/2.8 SMC FA Macro
Pentax 100mm F/2.8 SMC FA Macro K Mount Autofocus Lens {58} at KEH Camera Store

I realize keh.com wonʻt ship to Spain, but just to give you some idea about price and models in the used market. Definitely check out the PF Marketplace.
05-20-2018, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hyperfocal Quote
I have a sort of dilemma that perhaps you already went through, and I would really appreciate some advice: I "upgraded" from APS-C to full frame. What happened is that I felt in love with film photography and a year ago I bought a Pentax Z-20 and a Pentax Z-1p. So the full frame I am talking about is actually 35mm film.

My original system was a K-S2, a SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL, aHD Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited, and aSMC Pentax-A 135mm F2.8.

My kind of photography is mostly portraits and "family-journalism" (and some street photography when I have the time). I've found that I feel most comfortable with small and fast primes.

The problem is that the 70mm, my main lens, doesn't work as well in full frame (the outer part of the frame is softer and vignettes a bit). Interestingly, the 35mm holds much better.My intention was to eventually upgrade the 35mm to something better (bokeh and optics), but as in film it's still a decent performer perhaps it is better to tackle the problem of the 70mm first.

Any suggestion will be very much appreciated. Thanks!
OK - I highlighted a few things. First you are shooting with a Z1-P - Congrats! I love my PZ-1 to this day.! So you can use just about any lens as long as it covers your field of view and meets your needs.

Second - I see that you prefer small primes. The good news is that you can find some that may fit your needs - the bad news is that going to full frame means longer lenses if you want the same field of view from a similar working distance - however that may not be the only choice.

Lastly the budget of $500 to gover wide/normal and telephoto with the caveat of covering it perhaps using your existing DA 35 f/2.4 to start and graduating to something else later is one of the options you see OK with.

Here's my thought on the budget:

As for best AF replacement for the DA 70 - I think you should look at used FA 77 limited lenses. The 77 will have a wider field of view on the Z-1p than the DA70 does on the KS-2, but if the DA 70 looks fine on the Z-1p now other than the softness - I'd strongly consider the FA 77. It does not disappoint. The other alternateive also mentioned by others is the D FA 100 macro - but this lens is bigger than the FA 77. The main issue with the D FA is the lack of a focus limiter to reduce the penalty for missing focus. Since the lens is a macro a miss of focus can be frustratingly slow and noisy. This solves the short telephoto problem, but not the normal lens issue.

If you must replace the DA 35 f2.4 the obvious answer is typically the FA 31 - but this is not only out of budget but doesn't address the wide normal as much as wide and does not address normal at all. The obvious answer is the F or FA 50 - either in 1.7 or 1.4 aperture. The 1.4 has nicer bokeh and is a great lens but costs a bit more and is a bit softer than the 1.7 until about f2.8 if I recall correctly. The 1.7 is cheaper and that may be the deciding factor. However there are other answers. The DA 40 (any version) could also work. The FA 43 is almost tailor made for this - slightly wider than most normal lenses it is the "ideal" normal for 35mm film being the focal length of the film frame diagonal. The chance of getting the FA 43 and an FA 77 in your budget is slim to none however.

I think if I were you I'd look for the FA 77, and if one wasn't available in my price range I'd look at the DFA 100. Alternately frame the subjects so that the softer parts of the DA 70 are cropped out and grab the FA 43 or F/FA 50 f1.4 as your normal lens. Keep the DA 35 for now.
05-20-2018, 07:49 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like my Da35/2.4 on film quite a bit! I usually pair it with a 100mm (dfa wr) or a 135mm (m 3.5), but if I shot film exclusively and had your current lenses, I'd probably go for one of the zooms suggest above to add to my kit.
05-20-2018, 09:29 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I would suggest the F-series zooms, affordable and quite good. I have the F35-70, F35-105 (broken now) an the F35-135.
Nice rendering and fast AF (at least on digital bodies).

Seb
05-21-2018, 05:44 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
I would suggest the F-series zooms, affordable and quite good. I have the F35-70, F35-105 (broken now) an the F35-135.
Nice rendering and fast AF (at least on digital bodies).

Seb
I owned the f35-135 on film. It wasn't that amazing. The lens range was good but the slow aperture was a real drag. On digital the iso that we can use is a big help, also in body image stabilization is quite useful to extend capabilities. Lastly the lens never seemed that sharp. Nothing terrible, just not as good as some of my alternatives which admittedly were stellar (f 100 macro, a 28 f2.8, m 100 f2.8, a* 85, M 50 f1.7)

---------- Post added 05-21-18 at 09:32 AM ----------

In addition that lens (35-135) while reasonably compact is heavy and doesn't fit the original poster's stated preference for a small prime.
05-21-2018, 09:30 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agreed, a 4x zoom with a slow aperture isn't really at all what the Original Poster seems to be looking for.
05-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Agreed, a 4x zoom with a slow aperture isn't really at all what the Original Poster seems to be looking for.
You are correct, however the F24-50 and F35-70 are 2x zooms that can if stretching be considered almost primes.
The DA35/2.4 is a better choice in terms of aperture.

Seb