Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2018, 07:27 AM   #1

Lens import from Japan to Canada..... Time processing

Dear pentaxians,

I believe there are number of people here who are living in Canada and might have imported lenses from Japan via eBay. Can anyone of you tell me how much time it takes for the package to arrive (i.e. shipment by EMS, custom clearance at Canada and shipment handling and delivery by Canadian post)?

Thank you everyone.

P.S: I couldn't find definitive answers on different forums about this question.

05-23-2018, 08:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by haroon88 Quote
custom clearance at Canada and shipment handling and delivery by Canadian post
Canada Post will handle customs, collecting GST and final delivery. I bought a lens from a PF member in Australia, Australian Postal Corporation's expedited shipping worked as it is supposed to, but it took a full two weeks for Canada Post to get the lens from the air cargo terminal in Vancouver to Saskatoon and all but the last two days were spent clearing customs in Vancouver.

My experience buying items off eBay from Hong Kong is actually pretty good, but GST is only collected if the value is over $40 CDN, so cheap phone cases, etc. seem to make it here without hassles, as long as the shipper doesn't take a month to send it. I've also had Lenovo laptops shipped from China, but through a courier (Purolator?, FedEX? I don't remember) and that took 14 days, but again the delay seemed to be on the shipping end. I think the two things that will delay the shipment are an inspection of the item once it reaches Canada and processing GST, especially if Canada Post is doing it. My suggestion is have the shipper put the actual value of the lens on the paperwork; Canada Post won't believe it if the declared value is $40, you will have to pay GST on whatever value they assign to it and Canada Post will take their time deciding what that value should be.
05-23-2018, 08:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

In my experience, having bought two used limited lenses from Japan and lots of items from the USA, the Japanese goods arrived in 4-6 business days whereas stuff from the USA can easily take anything up to 21 days to arrive!
05-23-2018, 09:06 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From some of the Ja[aneese sites we've bought from, it's taken as long as 30 days, others arrive the next week. They usually give you a pretty good idea of the time frame you're looking at on the site.

05-23-2018, 02:27 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you all for your replies. Actually the thing is that one of my friends in Montreal would buy me a lens from Japan via eBay and I will get it here in Italy when he will come in the mid of July. The eBay website says "Estimated Delivery within 7-43 business days" for Canada. This made me wonder that within this range, what is the most common one? I hope it comes before July so all is well.
05-24-2018, 02:28 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As mentioned above everything seems to move quickest from Japan if the seller reports the actual value paid with the paperwork properly done. I've done quite a bit of ebay buying from Japan in the last several years getting a variety of almost flawless cameras and lenses at great prices. In almost every case the actual delivery time is a fraction of the estimate given. The packaging is superb from most and I have no complaints at all. There seems to be a high degree of care and respect given to these items from the sellers and Japan EMS. Given multiple options on ebay I will buy from a highly rated seller there before almost any North American source even if the price is a little higher. Apparently there is some discretion somewhere in Canada's import system or postal service because I am not always charged the tax even on items priced hundreds of dollars. I would suspect that anyone in Canada seeing delivery times longer than a week to ten days is being victimized by Canada Post.
05-24-2018, 06:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In my experience it takes anywhere from a couple of days to a week for the feds to calculate the GST owing before sending the parcel onward for delivery and collection of the GST.

05-24-2018, 09:35 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by haroon88 Quote
I believe there are number of people here who are living in Canada and might have imported lenses from Japan via eBay. Can anyone of you tell me how much time it takes for the package to arrive (i.e. shipment by EMS, custom clearance at Canada and shipment handling and delivery by Canadian post)?
I've bought numerous items from Japan and EMS is the only way to go. I received a lens I bought from Japan in 3 days door to door, that was the quickest via EMS. (EMS will take no more that one week)

However if the seller uses Japan Post, then things start to go south. 10 weeks is the worst and it usually takes at least two months. Don't bother with items listing shipping as free or a few dollars from Japan to Canada, the delay can be painful if you are waiting for something important.

Phil.