Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-24-2018, 01:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Auto-Sankor M42 lenses, are they worth anything?

I was cleaning our cave, due to the wife's request, and found an old box with 2 old and unknown lenses, I bought the box months ago for almost nothing, then been too busy with changing home, and I completely forgot about it.

One is written Auto-Sankor 35mm f2.8, and the other is Auto-Sankor 135mm f2.8, both M42. I've found very little information of them on the Internet, only one thing interesting is the 135mm seems to have 16 aperture blade, which is equivalent to the "bokeh monster" Pentacon 135.

The problem is both lenses are dirty and have a lot of fungus in them, and I don't want to put them into my camera for a test. Are they good enough, and worth investing in trying to open and clean them? Or if not what to do with these lenses?

05-24-2018, 02:51 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

There's a whole thread on Sankor lenses (including Auto-Sankor models) on the MFlenses forum, here: The Sankor Lens thread

A quick look on eBay would suggest they're selling for $40 - $50 (they could be worth a little more or less).
05-24-2018, 05:30 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
I picked up a 35/28mm lens similar to the Auto Sankor for a few euros on a flea market the other day. I heard good things about some Japanese 135/2.8 lenses with lots of aperture blades. But they are not very expensive and a professional repair may not be worth it, unless you really want these particular lenses. But if you dare, you can try to repair them yourself.
05-24-2018, 05:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bui I have a Tokunon 135mm f3.2, and 3 Promuras, a 35mm f3.5, a 135mm f3.5, & a 200mm f4.5, all presets. These brands are all linked to Sankor in that MFlenses thread - I knew about the Tokunon, and suspected the Promuras. I think very well of these lenses, and am fond of their rendering, and think each quite sharp. I don't think I paid any more than $20 or $25 Aud ($17-20 US roughly) for any of them. They come up at these bargain prices from time to time. From what I've seen online the auto versions of the Promuras look equally interesting. As fond as I am of these lenses you might be best off just looking for copies in better condition if you think you'd like them.

Last edited by rjbrett; 05-24-2018 at 06:11 AM.
05-25-2018, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Most, but not all, Sankor-made lenses have a serial ending with E.
The old preset ones are beautiful, sharp enough (for their time), and have a rounded iris that allows for nice rounded bokeh balls even when the lens is stopped down.
I find the later Auto Sankors less desirable, but I don't have much experience with them.
Here are two Sankor lenses, one preset and the other Auto. Bought them very recently, still waiting for the parcels.
The first is marked Mayfair Sankor f/3.5 135mm
The second is a Soligor f/2.8 135mm. The peculiar A/M switch reveals the Sankor origin.

05-28-2018, 01:30 PM   #6
Bui
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank a lot for your info. It doesn't seem worthy to invest my time into trying to open and clean them :-) They're beautifully built though. I will put them again into the cave, and may be I will find a way to use them, or a person to give them to, later on :-)