Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-24-2018, 04:38 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Going on business trip to china..worth looking camera shops at Shanhai or..

Hi,

Just quick question!

I’m going on busines trip to china in few weeks. Chengdu, Shanghai, Macau..big cities, does anyone know if there is good camera shops for Ricoh Pentax?

Mostly interested IF I could save any money shopping at there? Is there good shops for second hand or new lenses. When I tried to look from google, it does not really come up with anything.

Any advice is highly appriciated

Thank you!

05-24-2018, 06:32 AM   #2
Pentaxian

China taxes the holy living bejesus out of foreign produced products. If anything you would probably pay a lot more there. I never camera shopped while I was in any of those places but most other stuff is not cheap.

If you stop in Hong Kong you 'might' find a deal but it's not very likely.
05-24-2018, 06:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
China taxes the holy living bejesus out of foreign produced products. If anything you would probably pay a lot more there. I never camera shopped while I was in any of those places but most other stuff is not cheap.

If you stop in Hong Kong you 'might' find a deal but it's not very likely.
Alright, Thanks! So I’m not living up that thought much longer..should tell my boss to get me to Japan instead
05-24-2018, 06:58 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Alright, Thanks! So I’m not living up that thought much longer..should tell my boss to get me to Japan instead
I went to Japan last year, but prices weren’t any better than they were in the US.

But it was fun looking...

Then I saw some of the old rangefinders and it made me question if the dollar was worth 100 yen or 1000... wow...

-Eric

05-24-2018, 07:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I went to Japan last year, but prices weren’t any better than they were in the US.

But it was fun looking...

Then I saw some of the old rangefinders and it made me question if the dollar was worth 100 yen or 1000... wow...

-Eric
Taxes at Finland are quite a bit higher than US. And your prizes are quite nice. so is Japan. I was there couple yrs. a go and bought my self FA77 and FA 35.

Did not have more money back then and there was not these new zooms for example made that time.
05-24-2018, 08:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The best price you will find is in the US. I have not researched it out but it looks like Pentax has global pricing on a net basis.

That means from the factory door the price is X we don't care who you are or what country it is.

After that price is set by shipping, taxes, tariffs, or other costs.

Some companies price based on regional concerns or even country concerns, but it appears that Pentax does not do that.
05-24-2018, 11:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

US has best prices. Retailers pander us like anything.

05-24-2018, 11:06 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
The best price you will find is in the US. I have not researched it out but it looks like Pentax has global pricing on a net basis.

That means from the factory door the price is X we don't care who you are or what country it is.

After that price is set by shipping, taxes, tariffs, or other costs.

Some companies price based on regional concerns or even country concerns, but it appears that Pentax does not do that.
It could be that companies that import stuff could make pressure of buying some IF they get it in certain prize. They make deal with main company after all.
05-24-2018, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Shanghai - Luban Road

There's a great location in Shanghai in Luban Road. Two 5 story buildings full of several shops for new aand used equipment, cameras, lenses, filter, tripods, books about photography ... everything.
The new stuff is probably more expensive than in the US but I don't know any other place with a larger selection of excellent used Pentax stuff. Make sure you visit the older building (the one further away from the traffic lights) - there is the better selection in my opinion.

I will be there again in about 10 days.
05-24-2018, 11:31 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
There's a great location in Shanghai in Luban Road. Two 5 story buildings full of several shops for new aand used equipment, cameras, lenses, filter, tripods, books about photography ... everything.
The new stuff is probably more expensive than in the US but I don't know any other place with a larger selection of excellent used Pentax stuff. Make sure you visit the older building (the one further away from the traffic lights) - there is the better selection in my opinion.

I will be there again in about 10 days.
wow! thanks! I will go and look it up.
05-24-2018, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
There's a great location in Shanghai in Luban Road.

Yes, this is very interesting place, definitely worth visiting - too bad I did not know about second building when I was there! In first building (the one closer to traffic lights) I encountered Pentax shop on top floor where there was no customer at all, and the place did not look like a centre of photographic or commercial activity As per prices, 'made in China' stuff is cheap - of course asking price is high, but if you are going to buy something, you can check the price at taobao.com, add 10%, and get such price after short negotiation. Taobao is in Chinese, but search engine accepts Latin script.
05-24-2018, 09:32 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentageek Quote
Yes, this is very interesting place, definitely worth visiting - too bad I did not know about second building when I was there! In first building (the one closer to traffic lights) I encountered Pentax shop on top floor where there was no customer at all, and the place did not look like a centre of photographic or commercial activity As per prices, 'made in China' stuff is cheap - of course asking price is high, but if you are going to buy something, you can check the price at taobao.com, add 10%, and get such price after short negotiation. Taobao is in Chinese, but search engine accepts Latin script.
Really useful info! Thank you