Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2008, 10:03 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Behind the hood? As in, betwene the lens and hood? Seems that would hae to be 49mm, wouldn't it? 30.5 is the diameter you'd need if you wanted to put the filter in front of the hood. Personally, I've never though about using a filter with it. I suppose a circular polarizer might occasionally be fun. Certainly I wouldn't consider compromising the quality of this (or any!) lens with a UV filter..
I dont know why, but i had the crazy notion that the filter somehow fit BEHIND the hood, with the hood cap in front of it! I must've saw some extra thread behind the hood with the cap attached and thought a filter could go there.

09-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kei Quote
Ahhhh.....stop tempting me!! That's my thought exactly about the Sigma, great lens but sometimes it can be bulky.

I have been thinking about getting the DA40 lately but still not 100% sure. The FA50 1.4 and the (announced) DA*55 1.4 will be a good choice too. The 3 lens being so close in focal length I probably will be getting only 1 of the 3. What's pulling me toward the DA40 is the size, so small and discrete I can just take the camera with me everyday like a P&S. Not to mention the general great reviews.

Saw the pics again @ home and discovered your camera is k200d as well. So now 3 things in common: camera, sigma and eyecup. This IS a sign from above....
Actually the FA50mm 1.4 was also on my list of lens to consider! (I guess it would be for most people since it is in the range of focal lengths)

I chose the pancake over the fast normal prime mainly because i had already bought a A-50mm f/2 manual focus normal lens. While the extra stop of the f/1.4 is really tempting (i might actually get it eventually), i find that the 1.5x crop factor on our DSLR's makes the 50mm normal lens a bit too "tight" field of view in some situations. The DA40 works out to be a good compromise between "near-normal" focal length, field of view, and size. I hope that's helpful!
09-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #18
Kei

QuoteOriginally posted by K200D Quote
Actually the FA50mm 1.4 was also on my list of lens to consider! (I guess it would be for most people since it is in the range of focal lengths)

I chose the pancake over the fast normal prime mainly because i had already bought a A-50mm f/2 manual focus normal lens. While the extra stop of the f/1.4 is really tempting (i might actually get it eventually), i find that the 1.5x crop factor on our DSLR's makes the 50mm normal lens a bit too "tight" field of view in some situations. The DA40 works out to be a good compromise between "near-normal" focal length, field of view, and size. I hope that's helpful!

I have the A-50 f2 as well. That’s why I am holding off buying FA50 f1.4 and wait till the dust settle on the DA*55 f1.4. I use the A-50 f2 to “test water” on prime lens, thinking if I can’t get used to a 50mm prime and MF I should just get AF zooms from now on.

What you just said is pretty much my thought. I will get the DA-40 eventually; while wait and see on the DA*55. I love the idea of having body + lens weather sealing, * lens, big aperture all in the same lens.
09-12-2008, 11:06 AM   #19

DA*55 is also bound to be more $$$ than either of those lenses. The cheapest DA* is what, the DA*16-50 at $700?

09-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I recently picked up the DA40 too, to use with a 35mm *ist:

I've been leaving the hood off so there's no vignetting, although I'm not sure if that will matter. I haven't finished a roll with it yet.
09-12-2008, 02:05 PM   #21
Inactive Account

I've used mine the last week now. It's great. Since I got the primeLBA, I've sold my two battery grip's and still thinks the K10D is too big. A very small entry level dSLR from Pentax or Samsung would be great.
09-12-2008, 02:21 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NorthPentax Quote
I've used mine the last week now. It's great. Since I got the primeLBA, I've sold my two battery grip's and still thinks the K10D is too big. A very small entry level dSLR from Pentax or Samsung would be great.
How do you like your FA 28mm and 35mm? I've been choosing between these two!