Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I got a pancake at breakfast!

Well, actually a pancake lens!

First impressions, like most people I would imagine, is that this thing is seriously tiny! Especially next to my bulky 24-60mm f/2.8 constant aperture Sigma i had as my everyday walk around camera. No more back problems!

This will be my street shooting set-up. Incognito! Well, until the slap of the SLR shutter anyways. haha

Also picked up a viewfinder magnifier (O-ME53) for my manual lenses.

Can't wait to put the new toys in action!

09-10-2008, 12:10 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
congrats, and welcoe to the pancake club
the magnifier is interesting, is it original Pentax? where and how much?
09-10-2008, 12:11 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I'm thinking of buying one of those two lenses to go between my 77ltd and Sigma 10-20mm.

Which do you prefer and which would you think would fit into my lenses best?
09-10-2008, 12:24 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
the magnifier is interesting, is it original Pentax? where and how much?
Pentax | O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup | 30150 | B&H Photo Video

09-10-2008, 08:53 AM   #5
Kei

ummm....pancake.....*drool*...

Coincidentally I have the Sigma 24-60 f2.8 too and just bought the eyecup. So the DA40 stacking on the Sigma pic really stuck a chord to me. Is it a sign from above that I should get the DA40?
09-10-2008, 10:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Even though it adds a couple of millimeters (!) to the size, I would sugest you leave the hood on. It does make a difference in terms of controlling flare, and it also conveniently protects the lens to the point where I don't bother putting the lens cap on much.
09-10-2008, 12:02 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kei Quote
ummm....pancake.....*drool*...

Coincidentally I have the Sigma 24-60 f2.8 too and just bought the eyecup. So the DA40 stacking on the Sigma pic really stuck a chord to me. Is it a sign from above that I should get the DA40?
As much as I love the 24-60mm for its low light abilities and sharpness, it is sometimes too heavy to hang around my neck for long periods of time. (ie. hiking and traveling) So, yes, it is a sign that you should get the 40mm too

09-10-2008, 12:04 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Even though it adds a couple of millimeters (!) to the size, I would sugest you leave the hood on. It does make a difference in terms of controlling flare, and it also conveniently protects the lens to the point where I don't bother putting the lens cap on much.
Agreed! I took off the hood to take these pictures but i actually like the quality of the aluminum hood even though all the reviews complain how inconvenient it is to take it off.

Would you recommend using a 30.5mm filter behind the hood as well? It seems quite difficult to track down a filter that size
09-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #9

09-10-2008, 01:07 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
the bazooka and the ppk. nice photo!
09-10-2008, 03:23 PM   #11
Kei

QuoteOriginally posted by K200D Quote
As much as I love the 24-60mm for its low light abilities and sharpness, it is sometimes too heavy to hang around my neck for long periods of time. (ie. hiking and traveling) So, yes, it is a sign that you should get the 40mm too
Ahhhh.....stop tempting me!! That's my thought exactly about the Sigma, great lens but sometimes it can be bulky.

I have been thinking about getting the DA40 lately but still not 100% sure. The FA50 1.4 and the (announced) DA*55 1.4 will be a good choice too. The 3 lens being so close in focal length I probably will be getting only 1 of the 3. What's pulling me toward the DA40 is the size, so small and discrete I can just take the camera with me everyday like a P&S. Not to mention the general great reviews.

Saw the pics again @ home and discovered your camera is k200d as well. So now 3 things in common: camera, sigma and eyecup. This IS a sign from above....
09-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I can still remember the original pancake back in the old days, it was a bugger to focus without putting fingers all over the front glass.

Autofocus nowadays has its merits.
09-10-2008, 08:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K200D Quote
Would you recommend using a 30.5mm filter behind the hood as well? It seems quite difficult to track down a filter that size
Behind the hood? As in, betwene the lens and hood? Seems that would hae to be 49mm, wouldn't it? 30.5 is the diameter you'd need if you wanted to put the filter in front of the hood. Personally, I've never though about using a filter with it. I suppose a circular polarizer might occasionally be fun. Certainly I wouldn't consider compromising the quality of this (or any!) lens with a UV filter..
09-10-2008, 09:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

How well does the magnifier work? Does it mask any of the frame (ie, reduce coverage)? I've been thinking of getting one to assist with my 200 2.5. With a strong eyeglass prescription, it's hard to see if it's in focus w/o the focus-assist blinks.
09-10-2008, 10:01 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
How well does the magnifier work? Does it mask any of the frame (ie, reduce coverage)? I've been thinking of getting one to assist with my 200 2.5. With a strong eyeglass prescription, it's hard to see if it's in focus w/o the focus-assist blinks.
So far, it's been good, mind you I've only had a for a short while!

It doesnt mask much of the frame in my opinion, perhaps some "vignetting" is the best way of describing how the view has changed. (The corners are the areas masked). The light up information inside the viewfinder is not blocked.

I think it is perfect with glasses use, because it protudes from the camera body so you don't have to press your glasses (or your nose) against the camera to find tricky focus.

Of course, experience may vary, but I quite like it. I immediately noticed it was easier to manual focus with the magnifier.