Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-29-2018, 02:17 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Marking lens.. in a non permanent kind of way?

A follow on question to some other threads I've currently started.

What do people do when needing to add certain notes onto lenses for referencing. For example, it's great we can make Fine Adjustments for certain modern AF lenses (Apply One), but on some other older (yet very capable) glass I own such an option is not possible, I'm left with 'Apply All' for Fine adjustments and the value entered is not stored to the lens attached.

So then, either a notebook to refer to or as some say 'make a note on the lens cap'.

I'm not overly fond of either solution here, I can get my lens caps messed up as I have multiple lenses with 49 or 52mm threads. And some other lens caps are quite nice, I don't want to ruin them with a marker...

To complicate things further, the Fine Adjustment values are different depending upon which camera their connected to (K-1 vs KP), so one note is not enough, I need to make two on each lens so I know which value to use for which camera I'm intending to connect to...

But I might want to sell these lenses after awhile, so any defacing I make I want to be able to remove for resale purposes.

So... anyone have a solution for situations like this?

TIA!

Bruce

05-29-2018, 02:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sticky/adhesive paper, maybe inside lenscap so it's minimally exposed to the elements? on lens body.

Last edited by LensBeginner; 05-29-2018 at 04:05 AM.
05-29-2018, 03:02 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Off the top of my head - why not take a 'reference' photograph with each lens on each camera, enter the lens adjustment made into the EXIF comments for each photo, and then store all the references in a separate folder? No physical marks or notes on the lenses at all, and you'll know where the references are.
05-29-2018, 03:17 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I maintain a simple spreadsheet that includes all of my AF lenses and bodies, and keep a printout of it in each of the bags I use. For MF lenses, I don't bother setting AF fine adjustment as I don't rely on focus confirmation... I go by what I see through the viewfinder, or use Live View and a viewfinder loupe for best accuracy.

05-29-2018, 03:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sticker on lens cap with lens name (in case you get them mixed up) and the correction value.

But really, how many of your AF lenses will be used on both formats? And if the body remembers the correction values, why do you need to?
05-29-2018, 04:49 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Sticky/adhesive paper, maybe inside lenscap so it's minimally exposed to the elements? on lens body.
I think it will come off in the field, I definitely don't want to litter lol.

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Off the top of my head - why not take a 'reference' photograph with each lens on each camera, enter the lens adjustment made into the EXIF comments for each photo, and then store all the references in a separate folder? No physical marks or notes on the lenses at all, and you'll know where the references are.
I'm not sure how that helps me in the field?

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I maintain a simple spreadsheet that includes all of my AF lenses and bodies, and keep a printout of it in each of the bags I use. For MF lenses, I don't bother setting AF fine adjustment as I don't rely on focus confirmation... I go by what I see through the viewfinder, or use Live View and a viewfinder loupe for best accuracy.
I have a spreadsheet already, Yes I could print it out, laminate it I guess, not a bad idea, maybe have it printed on the underside of my lens pouches or something so when I pull a lens out to swap I can read from the lens pouch lid flap or something...

I'm coming around to your way of not bothering with AF Confirmation with MF lenses tho, the only thing that's rubbing me up the wrong way in regards to that is;

a) If I have a User Mode set for Apply One (ie Fine Adjustments for AF lenses), then if you swap to a MF lens in this mode it will toggle not to Off but to Apply All (and the value will be whatever it was last set to from a power down, not what the lens might actually want)

b) Then I create a User Mode for MF lenses I hear you say? Could do, and ensure that Fine Adjustments are set to Off for this mode and rely solely on what I see. However, what I find annoying is I cannot remove the AF Points, AF Frame etc from that User Mode and save it. The Transparent Overlay settings is global and cannot be saved to a user mode, and of course sometimes I need the AF Points (AF scenarios etc), but then I find them plain annoying (all that red blinking screen) when using MF lenses, it's easier to concentrate with a blank viewfinder. But this involves menu diving unfortunately...

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Sticker on lens cap with lens name (in case you get them mixed up) and the correction value.

But really, how many of your AF lenses will be used on both formats? And if the body remembers the correction values, why do you need to?
Sticker on the lens caps either facing out or on the inside I fear will just come off and this is for the MF lenses Fine Adjustments, not the AF variants (currently I have a Samyang 85/1.4, Takumar 135/2.5 and a Pentax A SMC 24/2.8 that are all MF but have varying degrees of different Fine adjustment values if using AF Confirmation with them).

I'm curious if perhaps using something like a pen but can rub off without damaging would work, almost like a gentle nail varnish or something, but can be removed easily with acetone etc...
05-29-2018, 05:07 AM - 2 Likes   #7

Gaffer's tape that film makers use to stick on lenses to show focus, zoom and f-stop presets would work. You see it used on lenses, clapboards, film magazines and cans. Usually white but comes in other colors. It doesn't leave residue unless you leave it on for years.

05-29-2018, 05:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How about a Dymo type labeller?
Set to the smallest size font the label can be trimmed to a very small width.
But that would only work if each lens had a smooth surface somewhere on the barrel.
05-29-2018, 05:48 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Worry less about gear, and more about technique?
05-29-2018, 07:23 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How about buying the cheapest used filters you can find, deglassing them, painting the rims white, and then writing on the filter rims? That would work for all but your widest-angle lenses.
05-29-2018, 07:30 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
This, along with tape over the top.

Steve
05-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Painters tape (blue tape). Good adhesion, doesn't leave a residue and is easy to write on.
05-29-2018, 09:06 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Creating a spreadsheed with the data for all the combinations and capture it with the camera (maybe as JPG and XS as well as EV+2).
Keep the file always on the camera.
05-29-2018, 09:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Buy a after market lens cap and write using pen. When you want to sell the lens, you have the original cap intact.

Glue used in the adhesives attracts dust, especially if you go on hiking. So it is better to write using pen.
05-29-2018, 12:38 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sandy... you comment was savage enough once! Daym son!

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Gaffer's tape that film makers use to stick on lenses to show focus, zoom and f-stop presets would work. You see it used on lenses, clapboards, film magazines and cans. Usually white but comes in other colors. It doesn't leave residue unless you leave it on for years.
Cheers!

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
How about a Dymo type labeller?
Set to the smallest size font the label can be trimmed to a very small width.
But that would only work if each lens had a smooth surface somewhere on the barrel.
Not a bad wee idea, thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Painters tape (blue tape). Good adhesion, doesn't leave a residue and is easy to write on.
Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Creating a spreadsheed with the data for all the combinations and capture it with the camera (maybe as JPG and XS as well as EV+2).
Keep the file always on the camera.
Ah! This is perhaps what microlight meant, I wasn't quite following what he was on about etc;

"Off the top of my head - why not take a 'reference' photograph with each lens on each camera, enter the lens adjustment made into the EXIF comments for each photo, and then store all the references in a separate folder? No physical marks or notes on the lenses at all, and you'll know where the references are."

Yeah a pic on the camera is not a bad idea, that could work. I think you can protect images or folders so that they're never accidentally deleted (with the exception of a SD Format), I'd just have to Delete Images rather than Format SD Cards in future.

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
Buy a after market lens cap and write using pen. When you want to sell the lens, you have the original cap intact.

Glue used in the adhesives attracts dust, especially if you go on hiking. So it is better to write using pen.
That's what I was thinking... The really nice caps I get with lenses (like the HD DA15mm) I tended to remove and store from the get go, I was lucky enough to have a few older caps kicking about that I could use. I have not yet really sought out after market lens caps... I'm also wondering if you can get different coloured caps? That might be useful as well, just not sure where the best place to go for generic caps would be... ebay?

Hopefully it's just a lesson in helping to force my memory recall, I only have 3 prime MF lenses and two camera bodies, a total of 6 things to remember. I think I will quickly recall the settings for the K-1 as it's the camera I use most frequently, but those other times the KP comes out I will most definitely need a gentle reminder.

Thanks for all the suggestions