Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2008, 04:58 AM   #1

Tokina AT-X AF 28-80mm F2.8 PRO

Anyone have this?

I am currently looking a complete system to have.
this far I was considering both zooms from pentax DA* series or Tamron 28-75mm with this new 70-200.

I was tilting more to the tamron system 'cause the lemons that pentax has with those DA*. Now I found this and a Tokina AT-X AF 80-200mm F2.8 PRO

Anyone got any comments on those? Better or worse than tamron?

Thanks in advance!

09-10-2008, 05:30 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I used to have this lens but sold it to a fellow forum member. I found it to be EXCELLENT build quality (truly professional) and great optics. However, it is a tank of a lens to carry!
You might want to ask Troy his impressions:
PentaxForums.com - View Profile: troywhite
09-10-2008, 10:07 PM   #3

Yep I've got it still, although I confess I rarely take it out these days. It is definitely a tank, which is why I tend to take my Sigma 17-70mm instead - I lose the 2.8-all-the-way-through, but I get the wider starting focal length and it is half the weight.

The other thing is that it IS soft wide open, although stopping down to f/5.6 or so and it is sharp edge to edge. It is also a film lens, rather than a digital lens, which means that it can be a bit more susceptible to flare, because of the lack of internal anti-reflection coatings.
09-10-2008, 10:32 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Yep I bought bonovox's lens

I also moved from the Tamron to this so I can give a comparison.

So far so good. Check my flickr page. 90% of the images taken in the last month are with this lens. It sits on my camera most of the time.

Other things I've noticed:

- Focus is super fast. Much faster than the Tamron 28-75. It locks onto things super quick in most light conditions.
- I can confirm the lens flare but this is easily overcome. Tamron had less of a problem.
- I find the images sharper and more colourfull than those taken with my Tamron, again you can compare on my flickr pages.
- Much heavier than the Tamron. It is heavy but I actually like the weight. I find that with the Battery Grip and this lens, the camera as a whole is nicely balanced and easier to keep steady.
- I do find I am missing the "macro" of the Tamron. This lens doesn't focus as close as the Tamron.
- The Tokina is internal zoom. The Tamron barrel extends when you zoom.

All up my K20D with DBG2 (Grip) and Tokina lens adds up to 2.14 kilograms!! Sweet

Oh and lastly, with this lens, it's also the first time that I've had anyone comment on what a professional looking camera I have :-P

Edit: The quick shift focus system seems snazzy but is pointless on Pentax cameras as you have to flip the focus switch anyway to use it. In fact it ads another step to get into manual focus. Doesn't bother me though.

09-10-2008, 10:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank You for your replies. It was very helpful.