Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2018, 03:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
ND Filter users

Hello Folks,
I just bought an Irix 15mm and 100mm filter holder. The filter holder is made very thin, with a large aperture circle. The designer said that it won't vignett or leak light. The holder requires for there to be no foam seals on the filters. Is there a brand of good filters without the gasket? I was told that some brands come with a gasket, but the user needs to install it. That way, I could just leave it off. If I need to, how do I remove them? Your help is appreciated. I'm anxious to get some.
Terry

05-30-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the Irix take a threaded holder? What threads?
05-30-2018, 05:20 PM   #3
Pentaxian

In its description on Amazon it says:

"95mm front filter thread AND a rear gelatin filter slot for even more options. Filters can be cut by the photographer at 30x30mm. Lens hood mounts around the outside of the lens barrel, encircling the filter. Filters can be accessed through the lens hood, thanks to the small window. Ideal for working with circular polarizers, variable ND filters, etc."
05-30-2018, 06:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OP: are you using solid NDs or ND grads? If filter threads are available that is the preferred method for solid NDs. If you are using ND grads then look at this holder: X100 Holder ? Breakthrough Photography

ND grads are not as bothered by light leaks but for solids the simplest way is to just use screw on filters. IMHO.

05-31-2018, 08:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Does the Irix take a threaded holder? What threads?
Yes. 95mm filter threads.
Terry

---------- Post added 05-31-18 at 08:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
OP: are you using solid NDs or ND grads? If filter threads are available that is the preferred method for solid NDs. If you are using ND grads then look at this holder: X100 Holder ? Breakthrough Photography

ND grads are not as bothered by light leaks but for solids the simplest way is to just use screw on filters. IMHO.
Thank you. I'm pretty sure that filter holder will cause vignetting. Thank you.
05-31-2018, 10:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What I really need to know, is there a brand of ND filters that don't have the gasket installed. Or, if not, how do I remove it? Knowing that would really be helpful. Thank you very much.
Terry
05-31-2018, 10:37 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
What I really need to know, is there a brand of ND filters that don't have the gasket installed.
Terry, I use both threaded and 100x150mm filters. Nothing I have uses a gasket so I am really not sure what you are looking at. Can you post a link to the ones with the gasket?