Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2018, 09:32 PM   #16
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter
SSGGeezer's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Maine, U.S.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,698
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
15, 20-40, 77
The rest is gravy.
A different take: No DA* 50-135 but the FA 77 instead. Flash or no flash added? I love them both but I would have a bit more room for a swimsuit or something.

---------- Post added 06-02-18 at 09:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
One of my favorite 3 lens kits for my k-3 is the 15,20-40,50-135... .

Your KP excels in higher ISO than the k-3 so you're unlikely to miss the faster aperture lenses for low light. Also it is likely that the 135mm @ f/2.8 gives slower depth of field than the 50 or 77 wide open.

I love the IQ from my 50-135 about as much as the FA 77. SO Extra Flash? Or two Flashes for fill on family portraits?

06-02-2018, 09:45 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,159
Sorry typo in my message... Shallower not slower depth of field. As for extra flash use the onboard and the external. Should be more than enough. Sandy is no slouch, the 77 vs the 50-135 is a tough choice. I love both, but I think the zoom gives a great deal of flexibility. The 77 has magic, but the 50-135 does as well.
06-03-2018, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian
wstruth's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: at my kitchen table
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 803
FWIW i would suggest the 15, 20-40 and 50-135 so you can utilize the long end at the lake for birds and such. As far as filters... don't know what you have but a circular Polarizer and Variable ND filter for the 20-40 are always with me. You can't go wrong with having the flash just in case. I think a flash would be more useful than a tripod (ND filters notwithstanding) you could always use a deck rail or some other surface to mount the camera if you really had a shot.
06-03-2018, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #19
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,756
You can't go wrong between the FA77 and the DA*50-135.
They are both awesome, but the diminutive size and speed of the former would get the points from me. You could leave the flash home.

06-03-2018, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 222
QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
FWIW i would suggest the 15, 20-40 and 50-135 so you can utilize the long end at the lake for birds and such. As far as filters... don't know what you have but a circular Polarizer and Variable ND filter for the 20-40 are always with me. You can't go wrong with having the flash just in case. I think a flash would be more useful than a tripod (ND filters notwithstanding) you could always use a deck rail or some other surface to mount the camera if you really had a shot.
The tripod would be useful if the OP wants to take whole group pictures in which he himself appears - i.e. a tripod and timer shot. It might be worth asking if anybody who's attending this reunion and lives in that area (or is driving there) has a tripod they can lend. That could save more space / weight than forgoing one lens.
06-03-2018, 08:53 AM   #21
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter
SSGGeezer's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Maine, U.S.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,698
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote
The tripod would be useful if the OP wants to take whole group pictures in which he himself appears - i.e. a tripod and timer shot. It might be worth asking if anybody who's attending this reunion and lives in that area (or is driving there) has a tripod they can lend. That could save more space / weight than forgoing one lens.
Rental is next door to my cousin's home, (or nearly so,) My tripod is fairly light and I keep my Arca plate mount on it at all times so it is set up for me and it easily fits in the carry on suitcase I will take. I am thinking of taking my wired remote but that may be something to lose when packing to leave.

CPLs for all the Limited's, and a few ND filters in the filter case for the 49mm lenses is what I am thinking. All the Limited's already have a protective clear filter on them. So a filter wrench will need to slide in there! some great ideas here,

Now what if I acquire a DA 40 2.8 Ltd also? Replace the DA 50 if that makes the cut? The 40 does have a different feel to the images than the 20-40 at the long end. Tell me what you think so someone can win a K-1!

06-03-2018, 08:58 AM   #22
Pentaxian
ZombieArmy's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,537
I don't think you're going to change lenses as often as you think you will. 20-40+77 is probably all you need, I doubt you'd need anything longer or wider.
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Now what if I acquire a DA 40 2.8 Ltd also? Replace the DA 50 if that makes the cut? The 40 does have a different feel to the images than the 20-40 at the long end. Tell me what you think so someone can win a K-1!

The DA 40 is so small that you can take it with any kit and be ok. I do think the DA 40 feels substantially different in rendering compared to most other lenses in the range, including my FA 43.
Personally I think that DA 50 should ultimately be replaced with an FA 43 if you ask me

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 06-03-2018 at 09:07 AM.
06-03-2018, 09:14 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
pres589's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lawrence, KS
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,353
The 20-40. Something like the FA 28 would be nice as a backup that you should not expect to need. What is the need for lenses like a 55-300 at a family reunion, and why duplicate focal lengths with the 50-135?

06-03-2018, 09:23 AM   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,382
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Rental is next door to my cousin's home, (or nearly so,) My tripod is fairly light and I keep my Arca plate mount on it at all times so it is set up for me and it easily fits in the carry on suitcase I will take. I am thinking of taking my wired remote but that may be something to lose when packing to leave.

CPLs for all the Limited's, and a few ND filters in the filter case for the 49mm lenses is what I am thinking. All the Limited's already have a protective clear filter on them. So a filter wrench will need to slide in there! some great ideas here,

Now what if I acquire a DA 40 2.8 Ltd also? Replace the DA 50 if that makes the cut? The 40 does have a different feel to the images than the 20-40 at the long end. Tell me what you think so someone can win a K-1!

Don't forget to look at the best lens in its class
DA 40mm XS

SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS Reviews - DA XS Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
06-03-2018, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian
ZombieArmy's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,537
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Don't forget to look at the best lens in its class
DA 40mm XS

SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS Reviews - DA XS Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Really wish they made more XS lenses, my 40 XS is simply mystifying.
06-03-2018, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 222
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote

Now what if I acquire a DA 40 2.8 Ltd also? Replace the DA 50 if that makes the cut? The 40 does have a different feel to the images than the 20-40 at the long end. Tell me what you think so someone can win a K-1!


The 40 is tiny but the DA 50mm f1.8 is neither large nor heavy, and it is f1.8 vs f2.8. The DA 50mm f1.8 vs the FA77 f1.8 is a more compelling question. The DA 50 is slightly smaller than the FA77, weighs less and is wider but every bit as fast, and is a less costly loss if something goes wrong, but the FA77 images do have a special exquisiteness. The FA43 f1.9 could be a good choice, but it costs more and you'd have to get used enough to it to use it without thinking much in a social situation in a short period of time, which might or might not work out.

Would the 15mm be for landscape or group pictures? It might not be the right tool for the latter. The more stuff you carry, - even if it's small and light - the more stuff you have to keep track of and the more stuff you risk misplacing or having stolen or damaged.

If you are doing landscape and critters at the lake than yes to the 15 and even the 55-300 plm if you really will have time and reasonable expectation of good light. Maybe ask your cousin what manner of critters you are actually likely to see at that time of year to gauge whether the plm will be worth it.
06-03-2018, 01:24 PM   #27
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter
SSGGeezer's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Maine, U.S.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,698
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote
If you are doing landscape and critters at the lake than yes to the 15 and even the 55-300 plm if you really will have time and reasonable expectation of good light. Maybe ask your cousin what manner of critters you are actually likely to see at that time of year to gauge whether the plm will be worth it.
We lived near there years ago so I know there are lots of critters but I think I am going to leave the 55-300 PLM behind. I wanted to show it off to my High end Canikon shooting sister, but I will just have to do that with the other fine Pentax glass!
15 for landscape and possibly some group photos.

I was thinking to just leave it set on Av and on a tripod near any gathering place with the wired remote attached and if anyone felt the urge, just press the button and see what shows up! Group think photography!
06-03-2018, 08:17 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
pres589's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lawrence, KS
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,353
I will agree that the DA 15 is good for group shots in certain circumstances.
Can I change my answer to the 20-40 and a Sigma Super-Wide II AF?
06-03-2018, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,659
You'll no doubt be doing a lot of people shots. If you had one, I'd recommend the DA 18-135mm, because you can instantly go from a shot of a room full or a yard full of people, to then zoom in for a candid portrait.

Of those you have, the DA 20-40mm and 15mm Limiteds will be most useful. Mostly the DA 20-40mm, then if needing a large, inclusive group shot, snap on the DA 15mm LTD.
06-05-2018, 09:21 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Forum Member
kayakfari's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: South Florida
Posts: 84
Some good advice here, but you may also find this useful for a family reunion!

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
15mm, 20-40mm, advice, da, da*, fa, flash, k-3, k-mount, lenses, love, pentax lens, people, shot, shots, sister, slr lens, travel advice, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature Wet wing club reunion tonver Post Your Photos! 13 08-29-2018 09:02 PM
K5-family reunion @ 3200 ISO emtor Pentax K-5 6 08-31-2013 09:41 AM
Macro Family Reunion bluestringer Post Your Photos! 10 07-12-2013 02:26 PM
Roadtrip/Family Reunion/Wedding/Hiking set-up... icywarm Photographic Technique 3 07-22-2010 05:53 PM
Family Reunion Portraits. VaughnA Post Your Photos! 6 06-17-2009 07:54 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:53 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top