Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2018, 09:32 AM   #31
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I will agree that the DA 15 is good for group shots in certain circumstances.
Can I change my answer to the 20-40 and a Sigma Super-Wide II AF?
I only have the Mini Wide II manual focus.

Current plans are, as follows
DA 50-135 probably mounted
SMC DA 15
DA 20-40 Ltd
SMC DA 40 In my pocket or mounted, dependent on room in the backpack.
ND filters for the limiteds
CPL for the Limiteds
KP and three batteries w/charger
Yongnuo 585 EX and base, hotshoe adapter for tripod
Travel tripod in suitcase
Wired remote for multi selfies as discussed in thread
lens pen and tissues, rocket blower.
Crummy laptop for basic editing. Maybe cheap thumbdrives to give images to cousins etc.

06-05-2018, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #32
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Wow! thanks for the opinions and ideas! I was considering the PLM because we are going to be at a lake house and, you know, critters! But The shorter focal lengths probably make more sense.

After reading the responses here, I am leaning towards DA 15, 20-40 Ltd., 50-135, maybe my FA 77or DA 50 in my other carry on. I am limited to a laptop backpack but all of these as well as my computer and kindle for reading will easily fit in this bag. And one flash for fill since Washington state is not known for its sunny weather!

I have weeks to decide and plan out what I am taking so lets get to 50K posts and tell me what to do! Filters? I have some ND 2-10 and several CPLs for my Limiteds
Family is why you're making this trip. 135mm gives you a shot at "critters", but you need to keep your eye on the purpose of this trip. My Mother died in March. We had the whole family in town for Christmas a couple of years ago; my Mother tried to arrange a family picture, but one of the Great Grandkids got sick and it didn't happen. Now it won't.
06-05-2018, 09:33 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
15, 20-40, 77
The rest is gravy.
I will agree here with Sandy... 20-40 and 77 is really all you need for a family meeting, but since you have the 15, might as well bring it just because it's nice and small and who knows, you might do some sight seeing
06-05-2018, 09:34 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another vote for the DA 20-40mm for the gathering but I'd also take the 55-300mm PLM for nature/wildlife.

06-05-2018, 09:37 AM   #35
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I will agree here with Sandy... 20-40 and 77 is really all you need for a family meeting, but since you have the 15, might as well bring it just because it's nice and small and who knows, you might do some sight seeing
I am leaving the 77 home since it is a bit narrow FOV-wise since my 4 cousins have a boatload of kids who are going to be in many of the pictures and the 50-135 can cover that focal length pretty well. At least it appears to so far.
So 4 lenses, all Limiteds or *s. All small except the 50-135 which isn't that big when the hood is reversed. Lots of things that make possibilities like CPL and tripods.

---------- Post added 06-05-18 at 09:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Another vote for the DA 20-40mm for the gathering but I'd also take the 55-300mm PLM for nature/wildlife.
Skipping the wildlife since I need to be social and not ignore my family members'

My sisters would beat me up if I did that!
06-05-2018, 09:46 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I thought we also got to tell you what lenses to buy for this kind of thing. Why not encourage a little gear acquisition, right?
06-05-2018, 10:19 AM   #37
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I thought we also got to tell you what lenses to buy for this kind of thing. Why not encourage a little gear acquisition, right?
The DA 40 is an acquisition I made yesterday that should arrive by this Friday so I can play with it before my trip. If I sell other stuff then I will buy a photo printer or something.
06-05-2018, 10:29 AM   #38
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I am leaving the 77 home since it is a bit narrow FOV-wise since my 4 cousins have a boatload of kids who are going to be in many of the pictures and the 50-135 can cover that focal length pretty well. At least it appears to so far.
So 4 lenses, all Limiteds or *s. All small except the 50-135 which isn't that big when the hood is reversed. Lots of things that make possibilities like CPL and tripods.

---------- Post added 06-05-18 at 09:40 AM ----------

Skipping the wildlife since I need to be social and not ignore my family members'

My sisters would beat me up if I did that!
If you get the focus right the 40mm xS allows you to crop so you might get usable wildlife
The 40 should do as well

06-05-2018, 10:48 AM   #39
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
If you get the focus right the 40mm xS allows you to crop so you might get usable wildlife
The 40 should do as well
Isnt the xs the same formula as the SMC DA 40? I had an XS but sold it and even with the 20-40 I wanted the prime. Just metal with a different hood. Straight blades though instead of curved.
06-05-2018, 12:04 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
FWIW i would suggest the 15, 20-40 and 50-135 so you can utilize the long end at the lake for birds and such. As far as filters... don't know what you have but a circular Polarizer and Variable ND filter for the 20-40 are always with me. You can't go wrong with having the flash just in case. I think a flash would be more useful than a tripod (ND filters notwithstanding) you could always use a deck rail or some other surface to mount the camera if you really had a shot.
This is one of my favorite kits. Especially when incorporating some low-light work including a tele zoom might be an expectation. When using a K-70 or a KP, even a quality f/4 is fast enough to get fine results.

With the FA 77mm f/1.8 LTD, however, its very small size and longer reach on APS-C makes for a great lens for getting candid portraits without being noticed.

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-05-2018 at 12:11 PM.
06-05-2018, 07:16 PM   #41
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
With the FA 77mm f/1.8 LTD, however, its very small size and longer reach on APS-C makes for a great lens for getting candid portraits without being noticed.
Now I may need to tuck her in the bag or a pocket also Mike. Too sneaky, especially with electronic shutter.
06-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #42
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Isnt the xs the same formula as the SMC DA 40? I had an XS but sold it and even with the 20-40 I wanted the prime. Just metal with a different hood. Straight blades though instead of curved.
Though extremely similar (perhaps even identical) to the DA 40/2.8 Limited in terms of specs and optical construction, the
DA 40mm f/2.8 XS is even more compact (9.2mm vs 15mm thick) and more lightweight (1.8 oz. vs 3.2 oz.)
06-05-2018, 08:44 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The HD DA 40 has curved blades, I believe.
06-05-2018, 09:22 PM   #44
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the newer HD 40mm limited does have the rounded blades

Aperture Blades
9, rounded

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-da-40mm-f28-limited/introduction.html

these quotes are comparing the SMC 40mm limited and the SMC 40mm XS

actually, the 40XS has the curved blades:

The nine aperture blades on this model are curved to produce a more circular opening as the lens is stopped down. This is one of the few significant differences between it and the earlier DA 40/2.8 Limited, and one whose effects we’ll examine during our bokeh test.

Read more at: Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - Design and Handling | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Really, the only substantive difference comes from the DA 40mm f/2.8 XS's rounded aperture blades, which give it slightly rounder bokeh highlights than the DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited when the lens is stopped down. To be honest, even that difference requires a very, very discerning eye. . . . If any lens is a winner in this category it's the DA 40 XS, but in our opinion it's pretty much a dead heat between the two 40s

Read more at: Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - Image Quality: Bokeh | PentaxForums.com Reviews

this article discusses the differences between the SMC and HD coated Limited Lenses

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-limited-primes/introduction.html?src=lrdb

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-05-2018 at 09:31 PM.
06-05-2018, 09:47 PM   #45
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Though extremely similar (perhaps even identical) to the DA 40/2.8 Limited in terms of specs and optical construction, the
DA 40mm f/2.8 XS is even more compact (9.2mm vs 15mm thick) and more lightweight (1.8 oz. vs 3.2 oz.)
Not buying an XS Allen! I just paid for a SMC DA 40 yesterday! No need for a fourth lens that covers that focal length. My HD DA 20-40 Ltd, My DA 17-70 and my in the mail DA 40 cover that focal length quite well I think.