Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2018, 03:18 AM   #46
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Not buying an XS Allen! I just paid for a SMC DA 40 yesterday! No need for a fourth lens that covers that focal length. My HD DA 20-40 Ltd, My DA 17-70 and my in the mail DA 40 cover that focal length quite well I think.
sorry

i knew that, just answering questions

nothing wrong with the limited that I know of

06-06-2018, 05:59 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I own the DA 20-40 and the DA 40 (SMC) and despite my love of the 40, I wouldn't bother taking both myself in an event like this. The 77 is a nice idea for candid shots but there again I'm not sure I'd bother unless the special rendering was going to warrant some portrait sessions with family members. Versatility wins over primes in my opinion in this case. But your selected gear is bound to be useful if a bit of overkill. If the primes make you happy then taking them is the only sensible option.
06-06-2018, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
We lived near there years ago so I know there are lots of critters but I think I am going to leave the 55-300 PLM behind. I wanted to show it off to my High end Canikon shooting sister, but I will just have to do that with the other fine Pentax glass!
15 for landscape and possibly some group photos.

I was thinking to just leave it set on Av and on a tripod near any gathering place with the wired remote attached and if anyone felt the urge, just press the button and see what shows up! Group think photography!
You could also use the FA77 to impress your sister - "oh this little thing? yeah, just one of our film era lenses... " then send her a few of the shots you get with it...

I'd also suggest securing the tripod well so that it can't be knocked over and nobody will trip on it.

---------- Post added Jun 6th, 2018 at 10:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
You'll no doubt be doing a lot of people shots. If you had one, I'd recommend the DA 18-135mm, because you can instantly go from a shot of a room full or a yard full of people, to then zoom in for a candid portrait.

Of those you have, the DA 20-40mm and 15mm Limiteds will be most useful. Mostly the DA 20-40mm, then if needing a large, inclusive group shot, snap on the DA 15mm LTD.
It's not considered a "portrait lens", but I've always really liked the way my DA 18 - 135mm renders people.
06-07-2018, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote
It's not considered a "portrait lens", but I've always really liked the way my DA 18 - 135mm renders people.
I agree, in good lighting with a distant or indistinct background it is a really nice lens for pictures of people.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 06-07-2018 at 05:49 AM.
06-07-2018, 05:29 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As it happens, I'm off to a family reunion in Melbourne this weekend. It might well be the last time my mother and her two sisters are in the same place together. Plus cousins I haven't seen much of for decades.

For the record, I'm packing my K-1 Mk II with the FA 31, 43 and 77 Limiteds, DFA100WR, DA*55 and Samyang 12mm fish-eye. And a flash.

I'm also taking the DFA15-30, but only because it's my "Single In" lens for the month.
06-07-2018, 09:08 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I'm also taking the DFA15-30, but only because it's my "Single In" lens for the month.
How will you decide when to use it?
06-07-2018, 02:43 PM - 2 Likes   #52
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
How will you decide when to use it?
When I want a field of view wider than 31mm