Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2018, 09:32 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
15, 20-40, 77
The rest is gravy.
A different take: No DA* 50-135 but the FA 77 instead. Flash or no flash added? I love them both but I would have a bit more room for a swimsuit or something.

---------- Post added 06-02-18 at 09:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
One of my favorite 3 lens kits for my k-3 is the 15,20-40,50-135... .

Your KP excels in higher ISO than the k-3 so you're unlikely to miss the faster aperture lenses for low light. Also it is likely that the 135mm @ f/2.8 gives slower depth of field than the 50 or 77 wide open.

I love the IQ from my 50-135 about as much as the FA 77. SO Extra Flash? Or two Flashes for fill on family portraits?

06-02-2018, 09:45 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry typo in my message... Shallower not slower depth of field. As for extra flash use the onboard and the external. Should be more than enough. Sandy is no slouch, the 77 vs the 50-135 is a tough choice. I love both, but I think the zoom gives a great deal of flexibility. The 77 has magic, but the 50-135 does as well.
06-03-2018, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

FWIW i would suggest the 15, 20-40 and 50-135 so you can utilize the long end at the lake for birds and such. As far as filters... don't know what you have but a circular Polarizer and Variable ND filter for the 20-40 are always with me. You can't go wrong with having the flash just in case. I think a flash would be more useful than a tripod (ND filters notwithstanding) you could always use a deck rail or some other surface to mount the camera if you really had a shot.
06-03-2018, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can't go wrong between the FA77 and the DA*50-135.
They are both awesome, but the diminutive size and speed of the former would get the points from me. You could leave the flash home.

06-03-2018, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
FWIW i would suggest the 15, 20-40 and 50-135 so you can utilize the long end at the lake for birds and such. As far as filters... don't know what you have but a circular Polarizer and Variable ND filter for the 20-40 are always with me. You can't go wrong with having the flash just in case. I think a flash would be more useful than a tripod (ND filters notwithstanding) you could always use a deck rail or some other surface to mount the camera if you really had a shot.
The tripod would be useful if the OP wants to take whole group pictures in which he himself appears - i.e. a tripod and timer shot. It might be worth asking if anybody who's attending this reunion and lives in that area (or is driving there) has a tripod they can lend. That could save more space / weight than forgoing one lens.
06-03-2018, 08:53 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote
The tripod would be useful if the OP wants to take whole group pictures in which he himself appears - i.e. a tripod and timer shot. It might be worth asking if anybody who's attending this reunion and lives in that area (or is driving there) has a tripod they can lend. That could save more space / weight than forgoing one lens.
Rental is next door to my cousin's home, (or nearly so,) My tripod is fairly light and I keep my Arca plate mount on it at all times so it is set up for me and it easily fits in the carry on suitcase I will take. I am thinking of taking my wired remote but that may be something to lose when packing to leave.

CPLs for all the Limited's, and a few ND filters in the filter case for the 49mm lenses is what I am thinking. All the Limited's already have a protective clear filter on them. So a filter wrench will need to slide in there! some great ideas here,

Now what if I acquire a DA 40 2.8 Ltd also? Replace the DA 50 if that makes the cut? The 40 does have a different feel to the images than the 20-40 at the long end. Tell me what you think so someone can win a K-1!

06-03-2018, 08:58 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I don't think you're going to change lenses as often as you think you will. 20-40+77 is probably all you need, I doubt you'd need anything longer or wider.
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Now what if I acquire a DA 40 2.8 Ltd also? Replace the DA 50 if that makes the cut? The 40 does have a different feel to the images than the 20-40 at the long end. Tell me what you think so someone can win a K-1!

The DA 40 is so small that you can take it with any kit and be ok. I do think the DA 40 feels substantially different in rendering compared to most other lenses in the range, including my FA 43.
Personally I think that DA 50 should ultimately be replaced with an FA 43 if you ask me

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 06-03-2018 at 09:07 AM.
06-03-2018, 09:14 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The 20-40. Something like the FA 28 would be nice as a backup that you should not expect to need. What is the need for lenses like a 55-300 at a family reunion, and why duplicate focal lengths with the 50-135?
06-03-2018, 09:23 AM   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Rental is next door to my cousin's home, (or nearly so,) My tripod is fairly light and I keep my Arca plate mount on it at all times so it is set up for me and it easily fits in the carry on suitcase I will take. I am thinking of taking my wired remote but that may be something to lose when packing to leave.

CPLs for all the Limited's, and a few ND filters in the filter case for the 49mm lenses is what I am thinking. All the Limited's already have a protective clear filter on them. So a filter wrench will need to slide in there! some great ideas here,

Don't forget to look at the best lens in its class
DA 40mm XS

SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS Reviews - DA XS Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
06-03-2018, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Don't forget to look at the best lens in its class
DA 40mm XS

SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS Reviews - DA XS Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Really wish they made more XS lenses, my 40 XS is simply mystifying.
06-03-2018, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

The 40 is tiny but the DA 50mm f1.8 is neither large nor heavy, and it is f1.8 vs f2.8. The DA 50mm f1.8 vs the FA77 f1.8 is a more compelling question. The DA 50 is slightly smaller than the FA77, weighs less and is wider but every bit as fast, and is a less costly loss if something goes wrong, but the FA77 images do have a special exquisiteness. The FA43 f1.9 could be a good choice, but it costs more and you'd have to get used enough to it to use it without thinking much in a social situation in a short period of time, which might or might not work out.

Would the 15mm be for landscape or group pictures? It might not be the right tool for the latter. The more stuff you carry, - even if it's small and light - the more stuff you have to keep track of and the more stuff you risk misplacing or having stolen or damaged.

If you are doing landscape and critters at the lake than yes to the 15 and even the 55-300 plm if you really will have time and reasonable expectation of good light. Maybe ask your cousin what manner of critters you are actually likely to see at that time of year to gauge whether the plm will be worth it.
06-03-2018, 01:24 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote
If you are doing landscape and critters at the lake than yes to the 15 and even the 55-300 plm if you really will have time and reasonable expectation of good light. Maybe ask your cousin what manner of critters you are actually likely to see at that time of year to gauge whether the plm will be worth it.
We lived near there years ago so I know there are lots of critters but I think I am going to leave the 55-300 PLM behind. I wanted to show it off to my High end Canikon shooting sister, but I will just have to do that with the other fine Pentax glass!
15 for landscape and possibly some group photos.

I was thinking to just leave it set on Av and on a tripod near any gathering place with the wired remote attached and if anyone felt the urge, just press the button and see what shows up! Group think photography!
06-03-2018, 08:17 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I will agree that the DA 15 is good for group shots in certain circumstances.
Can I change my answer to the 20-40 and a Sigma Super-Wide II AF?
06-03-2018, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

You'll no doubt be doing a lot of people shots. If you had one, I'd recommend the DA 18-135mm, because you can instantly go from a shot of a room full or a yard full of people, to then zoom in for a candid portrait.

Of those you have, the DA 20-40mm and 15mm Limiteds will be most useful. Mostly the DA 20-40mm, then if needing a large, inclusive group shot, snap on the DA 15mm LTD.
06-05-2018, 09:21 AM - 2 Likes   #30

Some good advice here, but you may also find this useful for a family reunion!