Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2018, 10:01 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are many lenses I never clicked with, I suppose the first time I came across this issue was with a rather bog standard Nikkor W 360mm f/5.6 [roughly 50mm in 35mm terms] on my 8X10 camera I was working with, and never liked. I switched to a Rodenstock Grandagon-N 200mm f/5.6 [28mm in 35mm terms], but I found my compositions were diluted by the increased FOV, I later switched to a Schneider APO-Symmar 240mm f/5.6 [ 33mm in 35mm terms] which suited my work perfectly - and also provided greater scope for camera movements.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
So what is it about 28mm that doesn't work for me?Perhaps in my eyes it's barely wide, but usually not wide enough.

Jim Simmons on the TOP comments section wrote recently:

I feel that we 'sense' in 21mm, we 'perceive' in 28mm, we 'see' in 35–40mm, we 'look at' in 50mm, and we 'examine' in 75–90mm.

06-08-2018, 10:24 PM   #62
Pentaxian

I have a few lenses, most of which I don't fuss much over. Most seem OK. But I never clicked with my Sigma 35 f1.4. It's not a Sigma thing, as I like my other Sigma's - but not that guy.

It's not the bulk - I have bulkier. It's not the images - images look great. It's not the handling - it feels good to use, balances well on camera. It's the moodiness and unpredictability of the AF. Everytime I shoot with it I'm 'walking on egg-shells', not sure if the AF will be nice to me, and reward me with a decent percentage of in-focus shots, or not.

Might be time for a divorce, I think.
06-08-2018, 10:28 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The new Venus Optics Laowa STF 105mm F2.0 (T3.2) in Pentax K mount.

This pretentious lens was given the nickname "bokeh dreamer" by it's manufacturer.

Well, the bokeh is not bad, but it's certainly not up there with the best Zeiss, Leica and Pentax bokeh lenses.
06-11-2018, 02:38 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Some of my favourite images taken with the K-1 were taken with the 35-80.
I have the A version of that lens. Only used it with film, and came to be suspicious of it, because scanned negatives from that lens turned out to be rather soft. Perhaps that had more to do with the scanning process ó but who knows. Never tried it on digital. Perhaps it's better on digital than film. Which suggests another issue. There are lenses out there that seem to do better on film than digital, and others that do better on digital than film. I always rather like the M 28/2.8 on film, but never warmed to it on digital. On the other hand, the old Vivitar 80-200 f4.5, which can be purchased used for around $5, never gave me anything that I found any good on film, but was somewhat decent on digital.

06-11-2018, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #65
RDP
Forum Member

Iím fascinated to see the widely different feelings toward the same lens model. I never got along with the DA 35, despite trying hard to like it. On APS-C, I find the view just a little too narrow. It is plenty sharp, but I find the rendering bland. Since I got my Vivitar (Komine) 28/2, I havenít used the 35 at all. The Viv has an angle of view I find much more comfortable on crop, it is even sharper when stopped down, and the rendering is beautiful. One manís treasure is another manís trash, indeed.