Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
06-05-2018, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
DA 50/1.8 is one that hasn't gotten much use from me. It's an awkward length on crop and I just usually reach for something else. I bring it traveling sometimes but typically end up carrying it more than using it.

It does seem a little bit long for APSC but it really pops in practice portraits (of my cat at least!) As a walk around, not so much but I still like my 50-135 at 50mm. I ask my self why is that? I don't really know. I should try to use it more but since I have a lovely SMC DA 40 Limited coming this week, My DA 50 will probably almost never see the camera except in very limited lighting or for Astro-photography. The 40 is great for that also though!

06-05-2018, 09:36 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
It does seem a little bit long for APSC but it really pops in practice portraits (of my cat at least!) As a walk around, not so much but I still like my 50-135 at 50mm. I ask my self why is that? I don't really know. I should try to use it more but since I have a lovely SMC DA 40 Limited coming this week, My DA 50 will probably almost never see the camera except in very limited lighting or for Astro-photography. The 40 is great for that also though!
Yeah, I don't really dislike the lens, I just don't often find myself reaching for it or being all that impressed with my photos from it when I do. No specific complaints, but I just don't have that lens "dialed" like some of my others.
The DA 40 Limited is what I typically use instead and that one is a longtime favorite!
06-05-2018, 11:20 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the DA 50 1.8 is an excellent portraits lens on crop. I haven't used it for much else, and since I rarely do take portraits, it doesn't get a lot of use. When it does I've been very happy with it.
06-05-2018, 12:09 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
So even with the best reviews and all relevant information presented, sometimes there's no substitute for actually trying the lens
Amen to that Point in case, I never warmed for the 31...

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
DA 50/1.8 is one that hasn't gotten much use from me. It's an awkward length on crop and I just usually reach for something else. I bring it traveling sometimes but typically end up carrying it more than using it.
I found myself preferring 40 (or 43) both on APS-C and FF.

06-05-2018, 12:23 PM - 3 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I think the DA 21 Limited.
I didn't get attracted to my 21 ltd for more than year. Then there were some images that I just loved, without even being able to explain why. I got mine second hand so not a big investment. That was the only reason I kept it.

You go along thinking it does nothing for you, then a shot just grabs your attention. It's a good lens not to give up on too soon.
06-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #36
Veteran Member

It was the DA 35/2.4.
I couldn't focus it properly, and the rendering had ... let's say no magic to it. it was too clinical.
To compare i love the rendering of the 16-50, which is far from perfect with its field curvature (or any reason that makes corner not really sharp), the little softness wide open that disapear at f3.5.

With the K1, i'm thinking of giving it another go. I shall see
06-05-2018, 01:53 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I didn't get attracted to my 21 ltd for more than year. Then there were some images that I just loved, without even being able to explain why. I got mine second hand so not a big investment. That was the only reason I kept it.

You go along thinking it does nothing for you, then a shot just grabs your attention. It's a good lens not to give up on too soon.
I agree that I just didn't give it enough time. "It's not you, it's me" is probably an accurate description of me breaking up with that lens

In the event that I get another and gel with it, the next lens I didn't "click" with is the SMC-A 135mm f/2.8. Mine had some bad artifacts wide open, more than I would expect from the high ratings in this forum - and the price it was commanding at the time, around 200 dollars. The 4-element design probably didn't do a lot to control flare and aberrations. I tried to like it for a couple years, which was hard when the SMC-A 70-210 f4 zoom was much sharper and contrastier at 135mm - and had much better flare resistance overall - so I would always wish I had that on instead. I eventually sold it cheap on Craigslist because I thought mine probably wasn't a good sample.

06-05-2018, 02:10 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me that would be the DA18-55WR kit zoom, I guess. Haven't used it in years, and somehow can't be bothered to put it in my bag, despite it being the only WR lens that I own.

Now, don't get me wrong: That lens has given me the first couple of hundred digital keeper images, including some that I would even consider accomplished, but that is mainly because it just happened to be the lens on the camera, and does not mean that I'm a great fan of its lackluster rendering. Actually, the main problem with the lens is not that it's a bad lens - altogether decent for what it aims to be, I'd say - but rather that there are so many better lenses out there that you can put on your camera.
06-05-2018, 02:37 PM - 2 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
For me that would be the DA18-55WR kit zoom, I guess. Haven't used it in years, and somehow can't be bothered to put it in my bag, despite it being the only WR lens that I own.

Now, don't get me wrong: That lens has given me the first couple of hundred digital keeper images, including some that I would even consider accomplished, but that is mainly because it just happened to be the lens on the camera, and does not mean that I'm a great fan of its lackluster rendering. Actually, the main problem with the lens is not that it's a bad lens - altogether decent for what it aims to be, I'd say - but rather that there are so many better lenses out there that you can put on your camera.
I was the same with my 18-55s, it was all I had, I got lots of great images with it, but I never loved it. It was a marraige of convenience, that lasted until I got my 18-135. After that, I got rid of all three of them. I kept getting deals on packages that were like $50 more than the camera body.
06-05-2018, 04:12 PM   #40
arv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For me it's DA*50 - 135mm... Maybe because of its size, or slightly inconsistent AF. I use mainly FA 77 instead, and I feel it can do everything and even more than DA*50 - 135. SDM died, converted to screwdrive, but now it collects dust - I guess I am just too lazy to sell it. Optically it is a good lens, but I do not like it.
06-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arv Quote
For me it's DA*50 - 135mm... Maybe because of its size, or slightly inconsistent AF. I use mainly FA 77 instead, and I feel it can do everything and even more than DA*50 - 135. SDM died, converted to screwdrive, but now it collects dust - I guess I am just too lazy to sell it. Optically it is a good lens, but I do not like it.
You should sell it, If my SDM ever died it is going for a conversion as fast as I can pack it up and go to the post office. Someone else may love your 50-135, especially if already converted. use the Forum...
06-06-2018, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

All my bulky Sigmas, simply due to size. You put on the FA43 and wonder what the Sigma engineers were thinking...

Seb
06-06-2018, 04:08 PM   #43
Pentaxian

In my case is the FA 50mm 1.4.

Bought it because “one must have a 50mm” advice from everyone… I never felt at ease with the lens, sometimes it gives me sharp photos sometimes not and sometimes both in the same session (independent of the aperture chosen…).
Note: I have not yet consider to be defeated and keep on trying to like the bloody thing… maybe if one day I will buy a full frame Pentax I will get a nice surprise using it… who knows… hope is the last thing one looses.

The other prime I have, the DA 40mm 2.8 XS is another story, even if it needs +10 correction on my cameras to focus properly, is still a very nice lens for a compact go out / stealth adventure, so I do use (not much I must say) this one.

Anyway, accepting I’m a “zoom person” should have helped me to not buy primes.

Last edited by ddharriman; 06-07-2018 at 04:14 PM.
06-06-2018, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 50-135 can be a tough lens to dial in. It took me quite awhile to get used to that lens. By the time I was really starting to get used to it I got the 60-250. Once you use the 60-250 there is no going back. My DA 50 came with my K3. However I already had a 16-50 so it really never got used. Then I picked up a DA*55, goodbye DA 50. I never cared for the DA 35, however on the K-1 it seems like a different lens. However I still do not use it much. The 28-105 is just better.

Neither the DA50 or the DA 35 really ever clicked with me. I imagine it was mainly because I had zooms that covered the range and where equally as good. I keep saying I need to sell them, yet there they sit.
06-06-2018, 08:35 PM   #45
Pentaxian

The pentax M 200mm F4. I've owned 2 mint condition copies of this lens and I just can not get images I like out of it at all. I do intend to sell mine at one point, it's honestly one of the best condition lenses I have.

Also not a big fan of the A50 1.4. It takes nice shots, but they're not incredibly appealing compared to even my broken M 50 1.7.