Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2018, 10:27 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

The Fujinon 55mm f/2.2
Didnīt expect a lot from it as it was almost free, in a bad shape, and included in a pack with the lens I really wanted.

06-04-2018, 11:56 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Q06 Telephoto lens was the one that surprised me, just easy to use and amazing results in such a tiny package, easy to sneak into concerts and events with the bag checkers not giving it a second look
06-05-2018, 12:22 AM   #18

DFA * 70-200. Heavy and expensive... but... is quite a bit better than every other lens I have ever used on my K1.
06-05-2018, 12:46 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The SMC Pentax-F 80-200mm F4.7-5.6 - it doesn't get particularly good ratings or reviews, but I picked one up in a bundle a few years ago - didn't use it for a long time until I needed to travel light (so didn't take the DA*60-250 with me) then took a chance on it. I won't pretend that it's a stellar lens, but for a Ģ30 lens that is lightweight and compact (a bit slow on the max apertures) it's very capable of producing some nice quality, sharp shots even on full-frame...

06-05-2018, 12:50 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

I'm afraid to say the lens with the greatest difference between what I expected and what I got is not a Pentax lens. It's the Fujinon 35mm f/1.4. In sheer IQ - sharpness, contrast, colours, aberrations - it's the only lens I've used which can compare to the DA 35mm f/2.8 limited.

For use on my Pentax cameras, I'd say the biggest surprise is the Auto Revuenon 50mm f/1.4, an old manual lens with great rendering and the sharpest 50mm f/1.4 wide open I own.

For Pentax branded lenses, the A 28mm f/2.8 surprised me. I've rarely been impressed with legacy Pentax 28mm lenses and only got this one as it came with some other stuff I wanted, and having tried the M 28/2.8 mkII which is allegedly the same optically) and being unimpressed again, I was surprised by this one. It's still soft wide open but by f/4 it's nice and sharp and the rendering, colours and contrast are really great - output looks like it came from a DA limited, very modern.
06-05-2018, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm torn between two lenses for this thread...

First, the HD DA21. I expected it to be excellent (and it is), but it's wider than I'd typically shoot. Most of my APS-C photography falls naturally between 28mm and 80mm focal lengths, and 21mm is considerably outside that range - so I didn't expect to use it all that often. But this little lens really seems to give me a creative boost. I'm rarely the kind of fella who shoots with a single prime lens for an entire day, but I think I could do it with the DA21. It's one of my favourites, and by far my favourite DA Limited.

Second, and far more recently, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art. 30mm is a perfect focal length for me on APS-C, towards the wider end of my most-used focal length range. I wanted something fast, but couldn't justify the expense of an FA31. I'd considered the Sigma for quite some time but was put off by many reports of poor AF accuracy and dreadful CA / fringing. Finally, about six months ago, I bought one at a price that was too good to pass up... and I've been wowed by it. The build quality is lovely, AF on my K-3 and K-3II is reliably accurate, and the rendering is - to me - simply beautiful... almost like a modern interpretation of my favourite Soviet lenses. Yes, there's plenty of lateral CA and fringing, but the worst of it is easy to clean up in post-processing, and I can live with that in return for the overall look of images it produces. My only regret is that I didn't buy it sooner

I guess if I have to choose just one lens that surprised me the most, it's the Sigma - because for me it's so much better than the reviews led me to expect

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-05-2018 at 02:16 AM.
06-05-2018, 03:11 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

I'm torn between two...

Helios-44 (m39 13 aperture blade version)
I don't use it as often as I should and it can be a little impractical at times having to everything in manual but it produces images completely unique to everything I have in my kit bag. The surprise was its performance given it is older than me!

Pentax 16-85
When my Tamron 17-50 died I was gutted as it was my most used lens and way better than I ever expected it to be - and worlds away from the kit lens it replaced. After some consideration, and weighing up pros and cons, I went with the 16-85 to replace it (that it was bundled with a K3-II didn't hurt!) but wasn't expecting all that much from it. Boy was I in for a surprise then.

06-05-2018, 03:15 AM   #23
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

funny thing - I expect that when I buy a Pentax-branded lens, it's going to be good, so I don't have any OEM's for this list...
the two that have surprised me the most are the Tamron 72B (90mm f2.8) and the Porst Color Reflex MC Auto (55mm f1.2)...

Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 72B - this 90mm macro surprises me almost every time I mount it, it's that good... when you get focus with this lens, it 'pops' in the viewfinder (really, it does) and leaves no doubt about getting the shot... it renders beautifully, amazing bokeh, and since it is a true macro - how much detail you want is up to you...

Porst Color Reflex MC Auto 55mm f1.2 - I bought this because of the aperture but never expected it to be an actually competent 55mm lens; move it off of f1.2 and it gains sharpness and clarity that you don't read about online...

there are a few Pentax lenses that should be here, also... (D FA 50 Macro, K35/3.5, DA 10-17 FE) but these are the two that surprised me the most...
06-05-2018, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I own the da 16-85 and da* 50-135 which are both excellent lenses. The only issue is I do not like changing lenses in the field. I’ve found that about 2/3’s of my shots are below 50mm and the other 1/3 above 50mm. So I purchased the da 18-135 which has become my main walk around lens and is a perfect range for 90% of my shots.
I have been thinking about upgrading to full frame and have started looking at and purchasing full frame capable lenses. A couple of months ago I came across an auction for a Tamron 24-135 full frame with a starting bid of $99. I felt that if I purchased a K-1 this would be a great focal range. I put in the bid and to my amazement won it. When it arrived I put it on my K3 II and took some shots. My da 18-135 takes great photos but it seems to me the Tamron is just a bit better and I couldn’t beat the price.
06-05-2018, 04:49 AM   #25
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
DA 50 1.8. Where my M 50 1.4 is kind of glowy, soft, and more effort to use when I would take it out on my K-5 II, the DA 50 just did everything right. Sharper wide open, more flare resistant, just a generally all around better "head and shoulders" portrait lens. Good AF performance never hurts either.
Funny. I'm on the opposite camp. DA50 was my main lens when my K30 got aperture block failure. Bought M50/1.7 to keep going without repair. It was my first vintage and first manual lens. So, to me, it was a step into a new world and I was blown away by it's IQ. To my taste M was much better lens than DA.
06-05-2018, 04:50 AM   #26
Forum Member

Pentax 16-85mm

I have a lot of lenses. Pentax 50mm f1,4, 35mm f2.0, 40mm limited, 35mm macro limited, 15mm limited, 70mm limited, 300mm f4,0, 100mm macro f2,8, 12-24mm f4,0, 16-85mm, 50-135mm f2,8 and Sigma 18-35mm f1,8.
One year ago i bought Pentax 16-85mm after reading some review, and got the impression that this lens would deliver good image quality. I needed a lens that I could mount on the camera when I was out walking, and needed a easy on the go lens with ok zoom range, iq and wr.
After using this lens for just some weeks, it has become my first choice lens for many occasions and not only for random walking. Where I before would prefer the 50-135mm, 18-35mm, the limited lenses, I often find myself picking up the 16-85mm. The lens si so versatile.
My only disappointment is the build quality. Itīs inn for repair because the lens is breaking loose between focus ring and zoom ring.
06-05-2018, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax DA 40. First prime, first ltd, for my Kx. Was astounded by the colours and sharpness compared with the kit lens. Also started off my LBA. Still in recovery.
06-05-2018, 05:26 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
For me it's probably fa 43... I thought why would anyone use such a silly focal length, but read the reviews, saw one for a good price and thought I'd give it a try. The rest is history. Now I know why anyone would use such a silly focal length...
For me too. It was not just the silly focal length. It was also lackluster reviews and the fact that it was the worst of the Three Amigos. After shooting a few paid assignments with it. I am now a big fan of this lens.
The other lens which is a "Cheapo," I have a Sears 50mm f1.7, rumored to have been made by Pentax for Sears. The Sears lens is so close in performance to the 43 Limited, I am amazed at how a 40-50 year-old lens can compete with a modern design.
06-05-2018, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

I really like the SMC Pentax-F 35-80 f4-5.6, especially on the K1. It's surprisingly good wide open and very sharp at f/8.
06-05-2018, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

edit... way to beat me to the lens ^
Honest, I didn't see his post first.

Mine would be the FA 35-80 and my 18-135. Because of the reviews I was almost afraid to buy the 18-135. But we are 8 years in now and it's still my go to walk around lens. Of course you do have to walk around with the 1 finger salute held in the air for all the people with the seriously negative attitudes about it. That's exhausting.

My biggest complaint with the K-1 is there's no 18-135 equivalent for it.

Last edited by normhead; 06-05-2018 at 06:10 AM.