Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
(Laughs).

Or ... radical thought ... shooting a lens on the camera it was designed for.
...until there's some, even second/third-hand on ebay, I'm planning to do just that.
My mind was already thinking last resort solutions in case Pentax is doomed...

06-07-2018, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
?

You don't understand, Chickentender, sounds like you've never had to change aperture on a modern lens (no aperture ring) on a body that has no electronic aperture controls.

This process is how you then shoot at f5.6 or whatever.

How else would you do it?
Don't I? Maybe I am misunderstanding indeed. Weren't you mentioning all this as relating to the Novaflex?
Aside from the more fiddly amount of throw, how is that different from any other click-less aperture and adjusting to a metering needle?

(And I agree though... anyone interested in a fast workflow ought stick with lenses made for their system, for certain.)
06-07-2018, 06:52 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Don't I? Maybe I am misunderstanding indeed. Weren't you mentioning all this as relating to the Novaflex?
Aside from the more fiddly amount of throw, how is that different from any other click-less aperture and adjusting to a metering needle?
Not different at all, they're all awkward in this way.

I actually bought an FA35 for my A7 rather than use my Sigma 35mm Art for this very reason.

Fenwoodian loves his Zeisses so won't have this problem at all.
06-07-2018, 08:39 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not different at all, they're all awkward in this way.

I actually bought an FA35 for my A7 rather than use my Sigma 35mm Art for this very reason.

Fenwoodian loves his Zeisses so won't have this problem at all.
Yup. It's all a trade-off. If someone's adapting any lens in any way there are concessions being made. Sometimes, for a specific lens or purpose it can be worth it.
All I initially meant was 'destroying your workflow' is a drastic way to describe how every photo was metered in-camera in the past. But I fully understand.
Lack of ap rings on current glass sure ups the PITA factor though.

But no one adapting them, I'd imagine, has any expectation of things working as fast or seamlessly as a lens meant for a given system. They just want to use a prized lens in most cases.

I recently picked up an AR-->PK for a few Hexanons. As imagined, they're pale shadows of themselves with the added necessary element to "fix" the register distance of the Konicas. Anything below f3.5 is bloom garbage but usable for interesting effects maybe, and they're mostly fine in the 'sweet spot'. I'd never use it for anything "serious" though.

06-07-2018, 08:50 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All I initially meant was 'destroying your workflow' is a drastic way to describe how every photo was metered in-camera in the past.
Well, no , you set the aperture on the lens and then metered, you can't do this with the modern glass we'retalking about.

06-07-2018, 09:15 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, no , you set the aperture on the lens and then metered, you can't do this with the modern glass we're talking about.
Again, I was referencing back to the Novaflex or Metabones type options. But have you never moved an aperture setting whilst metering? That's more common in my experience.
Even still, it's possible to get to know the feel of those adapters (if finicky as hell) or mark the fstops on the barrel roughly (everyone loves gaff tape and grease pencil on their gear). lol
06-07-2018, 09:32 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Again, I was referencing back to the Novaflex or Metabones type options. But have you never moved an aperture setting whilst metering? That's more common in my experience.
Even still, it's possible to get to know the feel of those adapters (if finicky as hell) or mark the fstops on the barrel roughly (everyone loves gaff tape and grease pencil on their gear). lol
I like your way of thinking, CT, but the throw's too short on the Novaflex (can't speak for the Metabones) and I don't know anyone who actually puts little engravings or easy-to-smear markers on all their lenses. I just wouldn't want to, and with enough film era legacy lenses, I don't need to, either.

Good luck to you if you're thinking of doing this with your DFA 85mm f1.4 when Pentax goes out of business (I read it in Amateur Photographer, it must be true!).
06-07-2018, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like your way of thinking, CT, but the throw's too short on the Novaflex (can't speak for the Metabones) and I don't know anyone who actually puts little engravings or easy-to-smear markers on all their lenses. I just wouldn't want to, and with enough film era legacy lenses, I don't need to, either.

Good luck to you if you're thinking of doing this with your DFA 85mm f1.4 when Pentax goes out of business (I read it in Amateur Photographer, it must be true!).
Yeah I'm mostly playing devil's advocate - I wouldn't want to either. But really, I can't imagine any of the modern era glass by any maker being worth any of the trouble anyhow. There's plenty of glass, as you say, better glass, to go around without the fuss.

We now return to the falling of the sky.

06-08-2018, 03:57 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello:
But our eyes don't. Some don't even start out where they should. :-)
Give me a manual focus lens, and I'll give you a days shoot with zero keepers.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
That might be your reality, but it's certainly not been my experience.
Well GOODY for you.
Really? You're going to get into an 'Im better than you' contest about auto-focus?

What sort of asinine comment is that?
I suppose you go around and knock over people on crutches, too?
06-08-2018, 04:50 PM   #40
AoCo
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Maybe we need to organize our own little club here within the Pentax Forums? We could call it the MEBI (Manual-Everything Base-ISO) Club!
I’m in!!
06-08-2018, 05:12 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do folks really have a hard time nailing manual focus in lowlight on the K-1?
With careful diopter adjustment and the O-ME53 eyepiece magnifier I don't find it too problematic.
06-09-2018, 12:08 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Well GOODY for you.
Really? You're going to get into an 'Im better than you' contest about auto-focus?
I too found it extremely difficult to nail focus with the optical viewfinder, and in darkness the focus confirmation hexagon wasn't always reliable.
As I and others have said, magnified LV really is a game changer.
06-09-2018, 01:47 AM   #43
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand"..............William Blake
the clickless aperture ring
It needs a second ring where you can preset the aperture and then use the step less ring to open up and focus with... like my "Deviate Lady" (Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift) has.
06-09-2018, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #44
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand"..............William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
last resort solutions in case Pentax is doomed...
06-09-2018, 03:03 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Also don't forget C-3PO!