Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2008, 11:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Noob lens basics Q: Mounts and Help IDing a Find

My first post.

Today I spontaneously bought my first old lens. Got it from a pawn shop. My first question is about lens types and mounts basics. What are the types names? Modern mounts on say my 50mm f1.4 are called? What types of mounts can we use and what converters do we need?

I stepped up to K20D and in addition to the 50 I own the Tamron 30-700mm and a Sigma 17-35mm (so far). Today I bought a Seikanon 28-80mm f/3.5 Marco lens. The mount looked the same as the others so I put it on and it metered, wouldn't focus. Brought it home; cleaned it up and shot many test shots before I left for work. I'll post during the weekend. On camera the pictures looked sharp and the color interesting. Anybody know anything about this lens? Anything I need to know about trying out strange lenses?

Also:

When I moved into my apartment there was a Sears 80-200mm f/4 Macro left behind. It has a screw mount. And although the lens isn't much (built like a tank), I'd like to use it. What do I need? What is the mount called and what converter do I need?

Thanks for the read. I have been reading through this forum since I got my Pentax in August. Learning. Thanks.

I'll be posting pictures soon.

09-11-2008, 12:04 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Congrats on the new old lens and the K20D.
I was thinking of typing it all out, but as a guideline, check out this wikipedia page:

Pentax K mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You will see the mounts and convertors all listed and described.
I wish I could be more detailed here, but it's a heckload and Im a lazy bugger.
09-11-2008, 12:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Whoopie! Thanks marlon. I'll be soaking in that information getting ready to tour the local pawn shops and want ads.

not lazy, wise.