Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2018, 08:01 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Question about DA*55 or FA50 f2.8 macro

For those with both and / or had used both DA*55 and FA50 f2.8 macro. I have a few questions for you.

I currently have a FA50 f2.8 macro.

1. Do you think is it a good idea to let 50 macro go in order to get a 55*?

2. I see many people complain about auto focus on 55*. Do you think it is really that bad when compare to FA50 macro for lowlight and night photography?
If it is somewhat about the same, it won’t be a problem to me. But If you think it is “worse” than the 50 macro, maybe I will have to re-think again.

3. Is there a way to convert 55* to screw drive auto focus? As far as my research goes, I guess No?
(I love seeing people face when they hear my 50 or 100wr makes drilling sound. O_O. Not to mention when it miss focus and do slow drill o_O!)

Background infos:
I hardly ever shoot macro to begin with. I use 50 macro for night city scape. It performs very well at night on tripod. I love its starburst effect and it is a very sharp lens. I also like its rendering at night. I don’t hesitate to use it at f2.8. It is one of my most used lenses for city night shooting.
Until now, I don’t have to care about lenses autofocus performance because I mainly manual focus on a tripod. But I am looking for a faster + WR lens right now because I have to shoot handheld (almost) street photo style at night more often, I was thinking, f 1.4 could help me here. And I have to care more about Autofocus too. But I am not looking for a superfast AF & super accurate action lens. I take people on photography trip in an under explored area of the city at night. (Check this out if you are interesting), so if it can keep up with people walking at normal speed, it will be fine. If it rain, I take DFA100 wr with me but I have to step farther away and it requires a faster shutter speed which I have to bump the ISO up. I am using K-3. 50mm on K3 seem to be a better fit because I can manage to get a shot at 1/10 to 1/8 sec. it is a kind of impossible for me to do the same with 100mm lens.

Note: I saw the new 50 f1.4 at the CP+. Don’t tell me to wait and try that monster.
I know I don’t have that many choices here, but the new FF 50 is too big, too heavy, and likely will be too expensive for me.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 06-08-2018 at 01:10 AM.
06-07-2018, 08:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Both good choices. Both take great images. I’d also suggest the FA43. Wonderful, screw drive lens
06-07-2018, 08:23 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
3. Is there a way to convert 55* to screw drive auto focus? As far as my research goes, I guess No?
It has no screwdrive at all (KAF3 mount).

If you need the speed and WR, though, sounds like the 55mm is the lens for you.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-07-2018, 08:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They're very different lenses. Beyond what's been said I'd really just suggest you pick up a 55 if interested and compare for yourself. Neither will lose value if you want to part with either thereafter.

And I would 3rd the FA43..... but no weather sealing there.
The only WR lenses I have are a DA*50-135 and DA*300... that's all I keep around for the wet.

06-07-2018, 10:34 PM   #5

DA*55 1.4 is a great lens, there are lots of samples in the net! Superb IQ and it was fixed to my K3 several times for long periods under heavy rain - and no issued. Its still in perfect condition. AF is a bit slower compared to other lenses, but after all it is for portraits and you do not chaise speed with it. And It works with K1 as well. I never tried FA 50 2.8.
06-07-2018, 10:50 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have both the DFA 50 Macro and the DA*55, they were designed with different purposes originally for APS-C, but both are wonderful general purpose lenses on the K-1.
06-07-2018, 11:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

What about trying a second hand FA 50 or even an F 50. You can find these in excellent condition at great prices in Japan.
06-08-2018, 12:21 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The F/FA/DFA50 macro is perhaps the sharpest Pentax lens and as you have discovered, very usefull. And then we haven't really considered that it is a very good 1:1 macro lens. Despite this it isn't very valued very high on the 2nd hand market, so you won't get that much for it. So keep it....you only have to save a little bit longer.
The DA*55 is a very different lens, despite the close focal length. The DA*55 is optimised for high speed (big apperture, thin DOF), and smooth portraits skin, smooth bookeh. F/FA/DFA 50 macro is optimised for sharpness and 1:1 macro. You clearly need both!

06-08-2018, 08:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

My DA*55 is sharper than my Pentax-M 50mm f4 macro or a manual focus Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro at large apertures. Probably not as sharp as the DFA50 macro, which I don't have. Of course minimum focus distance is not as useful. Focus is definitely not as quick as it could be (K5IIs) but isn't really a problem. Manual focus is easy. The SDM, who knows. One thing you might look into is flare - something you hardly ever think about with Pentax. The review here mentions it in more detail and it's not common, but more likely than you'll see with other Pentax lenses.
06-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
  1. Do you think is it a good idea to let 50 macro go in order to get a 55*? I see many people complain about auto focus on 55*.
  2. Do you think it is really that bad when compare to FA50 macro for lowlight and night photography?If it is somewhat about the same, it won’t be a problem to me. But If you think it is “worse” than the 50 macro, maybe I will have to re-think again.
  4. Note: I saw the new 50 f1.4 at the CP+. Don’t tell me to wait and try that monster. I know I don’t have that many choices here, but the new FF 50 is too big, too heavy, and likely will be too expensive for me.
  1. Booth aren't offering the fastest AF speed.
  2. A macro offers much closer near focusing distance than a regular prime. Image quality also is more equal over the whole frame.
  3. No.
  4. Wait for the D FA* 50mm 1.4 and give it a try It's as small, lightweight and cheap as the Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art or Tokina Opera 50mm f/1.4
06-08-2018, 02:01 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

I have both the *55 and FA50 macro along with the DA 50/1.8 lens that I use with the KP. I don't shoot as much macro as I thought I would so this lens gets little use. For a fast low light where using a tripod is not possible I had been using the 50/1.8 with satisfying results. But I sometimes get caught in the rain and wanted more choices with a WR lens so I recently purchased the DA*55. It is a larger lens body than the other two but has a beautiful build.
I might suggest renting the 55 if not sure. My first one did have a focus problem that was not correctable and I had to send it back to B&H for an exchange. The second one is good.
I am currently recovering from shoulder rotator cup surgery so can only shoot one-handed for a while longer. For example of low light attached are a few I took at our church, low, mixed lighting and camera being held with only one hand.

This last one the focus was on the raised hand and demonstrates the broka in the back.