Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
06-08-2018, 09:23 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens Coverage - General Use

All,

I think I have a good lens collection, finally, thanks to various advice on here. Now, what I would like to ask is, for a general setup (I do some moon shots, some portraits, flowers, landscapes, etc), I don't think I'm missing many gaps in coverage. Here's what I have (other than miscellaneous lenses and lenses I plan to sell)

1. Takumar 35mm 3.5 - Decent wide-angle; 3.5 might be a bit slow, but I haven't experimented with this a great deal.

2. SMCP-DA 1.8 50mm, Takumar 50mm 1.4; Takumar 55mm 1.8 ; Pentax-M 50mm 1.7 - I think this is good for the 50mm range. Might even sell one or more.

3. Tamron 60-300 Adaptall-2 SP - Covers most of my zoom needs. It's fungussy, so I've thought about getting another. I've been told to save up for the Pentax 55-300 lens, but frankly, I do love the Tamron, and it's within price range. I get good clarity, and even decent moon shots.

4. Takumar 135mm 3.5 two-dial - The aperture sticks about halfway closed. Still, it's a pleasant lens to use.

5. 500mm Sigma-XQ mirror - about to be acquired for $40. It's the better of the two models. I look to use it for moon shots and perhaps other astral.

I have other lenses which I am either selling, have sold, or will never re-sell. Other than an AF long zoom or specialized prime, does anyone see any gaps here? Other than a 135mm lens which functions, I think I have pretty good coverage.

06-08-2018, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The only thing I would recommend is an ultra-wide for landscape and some other shots you might want to take. It's hard to beat the perspective an ultra-wide has to offer for some applications. Note that the change in image perspective changes rapidly on that end so you would see quite a difference between your 35mm and a 28mm for example.
06-08-2018, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Since you are from the US, I recommend you do some experimenting ( if you don't mind the cost )

I have had good result in renting lenses from Lensrental.com

[ there are other companies which rent lenses as well ]

if you rent a lens you can find out what you like or dislike

( if you do rent, get the maximum protection plan offered )

then if you find something you like, you can start looking for a good price, whether new or " experienced "

I have had good luck buying from members here in the market place

do you use a FF or APS-C camera

if the APS-C, then you may want to look at something below your 35mm lens

whether it is an ultrawide ( not my cup of tea )

or something like the DA 16-85mm zoom

or a 15mm or 21mm prime
06-08-2018, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
Now, what I would like to ask is, for a general setup (I do some moon shots, some portraits, flowers, landscapes, etc)
Here's what I have:
  1. Takumar 35mm 3.5 - Decent wide-angle; 3.5 might be a bit slow, but I haven't experimented with this a great deal.
  2. SMCP-DA 1.8 50mm, Takumar 50mm 1.4; Takumar 55mm 1.8 ; Pentax-M 50mm 1.7 - I think this is good for the 50mm range. Might even sell one or more.
  3. Tamron 60-300 Adaptall-2 SP - Covers most of my zoom needs. It's fungussy, so I've thought about getting another. I've been told to save up for the Pentax 55-300 lens, but frankly, I do love the Tamron, and it's within price range. I get good clarity, and even decent moon shots.
  4. Takumar 135mm 3.5 two-dial - The aperture sticks about halfway closed. Still, it's a pleasant lens to use.
  5. 500mm Sigma-XQ mirror - about to be acquired for $40. It's the better of the two models. I look to use it for moon shots and perhaps other astral.
Other than an AF long zoom or specialized prime, does anyone see any gaps here?
You don't have anything shorter than 35mm (35mm is longest, 24mm ist the shortest wide).
The Crop Factor Unmasked - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Your only Autofocus lens is the DA 50. And this is plastic only, maybe getting the three FA Limited lenses or the new D FA* 50mm 1.4 ?

06-08-2018, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah I'm seconding that.
Depending on your taste and needs, I see some options:
Pentax 12-24: very nice but expensive
Pentax 15 ltd: a prime, so just one fl but very good
Sigma 10-20, either variable aperture or fixed f/3.5: I have the latter, quite good
Sigma 8-16: extreme, but if I had to do everything over, I'd probably buy this one.
06-08-2018, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

• Which adapter do you have with the 23A?
  • Are you using a crop body, or a K-1? (35mm is basically a normal lens on crop)
06-08-2018, 07:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
  • Which adapter do you have with the 23A?
  • Are you using a crop body, or a K-1? (35mm is basically a normal lens on crop)
I have a ring one and one of the few flat ones I've found that let's me go to infinity.

A K-3.

---------- Post added 06-08-18 at 07:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
You don't have anything shorter than 35mm (35mm is longest, 24mm ist the shortest wide).

Your only Autofocus lens is the DA 50. And this is plastic only, maybe getting the three FA Limited lenses or the new D FA* 50mm 1.4 ?
I rather like the DA 50 so far. If I could afford the three FA limited, I'd go that way. But, I am trying to avoid duplicate coverage here.

I have the DA-L 50-200 zoom, but I've enjoyed the 60-300 Tamron more.

---------- Post added 06-08-18 at 07:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote

So, the 35mm I have is a "normal" lens on APS-C, which means I'm not getting the wide or ultra wide benefits from 10 - 23mm.

Since I would use these most likely for landscapes, I would not mind a manual focus. I am not really in a position to spend more than $100, so many lenses are out for me.

06-08-2018, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Get a Sigma Super Wide II 24mm f2.8. The manual focus version shouldn't be more than $100...Then you would have a wide angle. 24mm is the start of wide angle on APS-C (35mm FF equiv.) Or a Tamron Adaptall 24mm f2.5. The Adaptall-2 is the 01B, the Adaptall is the CW-24. I believe they are the same optically, maybe newer coatings on the 01B...KEH has an EX+ 01B for $84...

The Adaptall 17mm is probably out of your price range...

Last edited by boriscleto; 06-08-2018 at 08:15 PM.
06-08-2018, 08:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Yeah I'm seconding that.
Depending on your taste and needs, I see some options:
Pentax 12-24: very nice but expensive
Pentax 15 ltd: a prime, so just one fl but very good
Sigma 10-20, either variable aperture or fixed f/3.5: I have the latter, quite good
Sigma 8-16: extreme, but if I had to do everything over, I'd probably buy this one.
Since I am on the lower end of spending right now, and I do not mind manual, what do you think of any of these:

SMC Pentax-DA L 18-50mm F4-5.6 DC WR RE Reviews - DA L Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database - ~$100 (AF, I know)

SMC Pentax-M 28mm F2.8 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database - ~$70

SMC Pentax-M 28mm F3.5 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database - ~$70

Sigma 28mm F2.8 Mini Wide II Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database - ~$40-$50

Tamron-F 28mm F2.8 Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database - ~$20

Ricoh 28mm F2.8 Rikenon XR Lens Reviews - Ricoh Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database - ~$50

My tendency is to lean toward either a good deal on the DA-L 18-50, the Tamron 28mm, or the Ricoh.

Thoughts? And thanks!

---------- Post added 06-08-18 at 08:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Get a Sigma Super Wide II 24mm f2.8. The manual focus version shouldn't be more than $100...Then you would have a wide angle. 24mm is the start of wide angle on APS-C (35mm FF equiv.) Or a Tamron Adaptall 24mm f2.5. The Adaptall-2 is the 01B, the Adaptall is the CW-24. I believe they are the same optically, maybe newer coatings on the 01B...

The Adaptall 17mm is probably out of your price range...
I will look at all of those. In the list I just posted, the Super Wide II is actually one of the ones I was considering.
06-08-2018, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

with the Ricoh

do you need to worry about this:

" The infamous "Ricoh pin". Where Pentax created the "KA" mount in order to support Program and Tv exposure automation, Ricoh had to create their own variant, which has a protruding pin placed in a somewhat unfortunate location, namely in the exact spot where Pentax years later placed the autofocus drive shaft. Such a Ricoh lens will get stuck when mounted on a Pentax autofocus body - the Ricoh pin will get lodged in the drive shaft and prevent the lens from being removed without deployment of finesse, patience and tools.

Read more at: The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
06-08-2018, 09:31 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Other than an AF long zoom or specialized prime, does anyone see any gaps here?
The 12-24, used is about $450. I recommend it in every "What lens to take to...?" thread.
06-08-2018, 11:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Since I am on the lower end of spending right now, and I do not mind manual, what do you think of any of these:

SMC Pentax-DA L 18-50mm F4-5.6 DC WR RE Reviews - DA L Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database - ~$100 (AF, I know)

SMC Pentax-M 28mm F2.8 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database - ~$70

SMC Pentax-M 28mm F3.5 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database - ~$70

Sigma 28mm F2.8 Mini Wide II Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database - ~$40-$50

Tamron-F 28mm F2.8 Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database - ~$20

Ricoh 28mm F2.8 Rikenon XR Lens Reviews - Ricoh Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database - ~$50

My tendency is to lean toward either a good deal on the DA-L 18-50, the Tamron 28mm, or the Ricoh.

Thoughts? And thanks!

---------- Post added 06-08-18 at 08:16 PM ----------

I will look at all of those. In the list I just posted, the Super Wide II is actually one of the ones I was considering.
I think that 28mm on APS-C hass the field of view of a normal lens, not a wide angle.
The 18-50 is ok, I guess, but you could buy the standard 18-55mm WR for less money, and I think it's also a little better optically.
06-09-2018, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am also a fan of the Tamron 60-300mm and if the fungus is bad enough to affect your images then getting another might be worth it. I was lucky enough to get a Pentax DA L 55-300mm that I am also a fan of...but miss the quickshift available of the DA variants. Images seem just as good as the Tamron and no bad purple fringing.

For a wider angle lens, I have the Pentax-M 28mm F3.5 and rate it better than the Pentax 28mm F2.8 lenses, but, if you find one, the Vivitar 28mm F2.8 CLOSE FOCUS can be a bargain, mine has the A pin.
Buying on a budget is good but I have bought a lot of duffers as well. When I see what others can do with the same lenses I have, I appreciate that in the main I am not good enough to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. Must get better at it (and sell off 20 or 30 lenses).
06-09-2018, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . I am not really in a position to spend more than $100, so many lenses are out for me.
be sure to check the market place here at the forum
06-09-2018, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #15

If you do landscapes on the crop sensor, I would recommend going shorter/wider than 28 mm. The Pentax 18-50 would be nice to have. Plus the autofocus is an bonus. I shot with the second generation non-WR version. (The very first DA 18-50 kit lens was pretty bad that came on the *ist DL. It was upgraded to the Mark II version, then WR. I had the both the original and Mark II.)