Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2018, 05:27 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
PKA mount with K3

hi all

i ve spotted a Pentax compatible vitacon lens in ebay and the seller says it is a PKA mount. But, when i asked he doesnt know if the K3 can fit in.
It is a 3rd-party maker but aren't the PK/A mounts compatible with K3 ? Does anyone know the brand "vitacon"?
Do they have that "dangerous" screw?

below there is a photo of the product's mount.

thank you in advance for your help.

Attached Images

06-09-2018, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer...
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if it is PKA, it'll fit a K-3....

from the angle you've shot, it does appear to be a PKA... but a full/flat shot of the bayonet would help...
06-09-2018, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes that's PKA. The second aperture lever in a slot, just visible n the pic, opposite the protruding aperture lever is entirely distinctive of all flim era K-mounts. The little row of electrical contacts with one protruding slightly = pka. On dslr you should be able to control the aperture on the camera, with the aperture ring clicked into "A" position.
ps no ricoh pin on that mount so no worries.

All k-mounts fit, mechanically speaking, all post M42 mount pentax 35mm/apsc cameras. However there can be some variations in functionality.
06-09-2018, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

perhaps these might help [ there is a lot listed but I think some or all will help ]

"
Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA." Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering. "

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

" Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. Read more about specific K-mount lens/camera compatibility here.

The DLSR designation below encompasses the mirror-less K-01. "

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

The infamous "Ricoh pin". Where Pentax created the "KA" mount in order to support Program and Tv exposure automation, Ricoh had to create their own variant, which has a protruding pin placed in a somewhat unfortunate location, namely in the exact spot where Pentax years later placed the autofocus drive shaft. Such a Ricoh lens will get stuck when mounted on a Pentax autofocus body - the Ricoh pin will get lodged in the drive shaft and prevent the lens from being removed without deployment of finesse, patience and tools.

The other trap is the shield that protects the aperture stop down lever. The image to the left shows what the shield should look like and does look like on a genuine Pentax lens. Some older third party lenses have a much larger shield which prevents mounting the lens on a Pentax DSLR. Current third party lenses (Sigma, Tamron, Rokinon, etc.) have correctly shaped shields (or no shields) and pose no problem.

Read more at: The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

" So you've found a lens and you don't know what camera it fits? Scroll down this set of photos until you find the one that it looks like. I don't have everything here, but I have most of the more common ones for manual-focus, focal plane shutter 35mm SLRs. "

SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide

06-09-2018, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #5
UMC

Like others said before, it is PK/A, it will fit the K-3 and it does not have the infamous Ricoh pin.

QuoteOriginally posted by athanK3 Quote
...Does anyone know the brand "vitacon"? ...
Vitacon was only a sales-brand, not a lens maker. Apparently the lens is a "Vitacon MC Auto Zoom 1:4-5.6 35-300mm". The same lens also was sold as "Centagon MC Auto Zoom 1:4-5.6 f=35-300mm" and "Makinon MC Auto Zoom 1:4-5.6 35-300mm".

Makinon was a Japanese tier 2 lens maker that went out of business in the early 80ies. However, this lens does not have the classical Makinon look - like many of the later Makinon lenses. Therefore it is assumed, that sometime after Makinon the lens maker went out of business, some company acquired the brand rights and started selling Korean OEM lenses (presumably early Samyang) under the Makinon name. This could be a hint that the Vitacon and Centagon branded variant together with the Makinon lens were made by Samyang, although I never found a Samyang branded variant of this lens, nor do I have a photo of one of the other 3 with a "Made in Korea" sign.

Last edited by UMC; 06-09-2018 at 09:30 AM.
06-09-2018, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Without some knowledge of what you’re getting, I wouldn’t pay very much for sketchy off-brand lenses. I have one off-brand lens; it’s fun, but not great.
06-09-2018, 03:38 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
if it is PKA, it'll fit a K-3....

from the angle you've shot, it does appear to be a PKA... but a full/flat shot of the bayonet would help...
thank you
i dont own this lens yet so it's from the sellers side...

---------- Post added 06-10-18 at 01:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Yes that's PKA. The second aperture lever in a slot, just visible n the pic, opposite the protruding aperture lever is entirely distinctive of all flim era K-mounts. The little row of electrical contacts with one protruding slightly = pka. On dslr you should be able to control the aperture on the camera, with the aperture ring clicked into "A" position.
ps no ricoh pin on that mount so no worries.

All k-mounts fit, mechanically speaking, all post M42 mount pentax 35mm/apsc cameras. However there can be some variations in functionality.
thanks so it is safe to buy the lens right?

---------- Post added 06-10-18 at 01:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
perhaps these might help [ there is a lot listed but I think some or all will help ]

"
Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA." Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering. "

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

" Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. Read more about specific K-mount lens/camera compatibility here.

The DLSR designation below encompasses the mirror-less K-01. "

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

The infamous "Ricoh pin". Where Pentax created the "KA" mount in order to support Program and Tv exposure automation, Ricoh had to create their own variant, which has a protruding pin placed in a somewhat unfortunate location, namely in the exact spot where Pentax years later placed the autofocus drive shaft. Such a Ricoh lens will get stuck when mounted on a Pentax autofocus body - the Ricoh pin will get lodged in the drive shaft and prevent the lens from being removed without deployment of finesse, patience and tools.

The other trap is the shield that protects the aperture stop down lever. The image to the left shows what the shield should look like and does look like on a genuine Pentax lens. Some older third party lenses have a much larger shield which prevents mounting the lens on a Pentax DSLR. Current third party lenses (Sigma, Tamron, Rokinon, etc.) have correctly shaped shields (or no shields) and pose no problem.

Read more at: The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

" So you've found a lens and you don't know what camera it fits? Scroll down this set of photos until you find the one that it looks like. I don't have everything here, but I have most of the more common ones for manual-focus, focal plane shutter 35mm SLRs. "

SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide
thank you for updating me with this charts
you saved me time as i was looking for this

---------- Post added 06-10-18 at 01:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UMC Quote
Like others said before, it is PK/A, it will fit the K-3 and it does not have the infamous Ricoh pin.

Vitacon was only a sales-brand, not a lens maker. Apparently the lens is a "Vitacon MC Auto Zoom 1:4-5.6 35-300mm". The same lens also was sold as "Centagon MC Auto Zoom 1:4-5.6 f=35-300mm" and "Makinon MC Auto Zoom 1:4-5.6 35-300mm".

Makinon was a Japanese tier 2 lens maker that went out of business in the early 80ies. However, this lens does not have the classical Makinon look - like many of the later Makinon lenses. Therefore it is assumed, that sometime after Makinon the lens maker went out of business, some company acquired the brand rights and started selling Korean OEM lenses (presumably early Samyang) under the Makinon name. This could be a hint that the Vitacon and Centagon branded variant together with the Makinon lens were made by Samyang, although I never found a Samyang branded variant of this lens, nor do I have a photo of one of the other 3 with a "Made in Korea" sign.
wow you are a living library! thanks for the intel and confirmation
so It seems like a rebranded one i dont trust on its quality but looks a vfm solution

---------- Post added 06-10-18 at 01:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Without some knowledge of what you’re getting, I wouldn’t pay very much for sketchy off-brand lenses. I have one off-brand lens; it’s fun, but not great.
thanks for the advice, i will have it in mind.
I am looking for something close to my narrow budget right now but i want to be on the safe side with the mount and optics.
I read in your signature you own the "55-300 WR" which is my main ...target. I know the quality wont be the same of course...from those sketchy ones which one would you recommend?

Last edited by athanK3; 06-09-2018 at 04:23 PM.
06-09-2018, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thanks so it is safe to buy the lens right?
Yes I would expect so. You don't mention the focal range of the zoom, but as already mentioned 3rd party reseller lenses are commonplace on the s/h market and usually not worth paying more than a few euros for. Heck a known decent lens like a tamron 80-210mm can be acquired on ebay UK for not much more than the cost of post (but make sure you get one with the pk adaptall mount so you don't have that extra cost) being so common. The one thing the vitacon lens you are looking at has is pka mount, it is nice to have on the camera aperture control and on the fly metering rather than using the green button.

Playing the s/h legacy lens game is about browsing around and figuring out which are the real plums. However there are few total lemons, most lenses do pretty ok stopped down to optimum apertures - f8-ish.

06-09-2018, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #9
amateur dirt farmer...
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes I would expect so. You don't mention the focal range of the zoom, but as already mentioned 3rd party reseller lenses are commonplace on the s/h market and usually not worth paying more than a few euros for. Heck a known decent lens like a tamron 80-210mm can be acquired on ebay UK for not much more than the cost of post (but make sure you get one with the pk adaptall mount so you don't have that extra cost) being so common. The one thing the vitacon lens you are looking at has is pka mount, it is nice to have on the camera aperture control and on the fly metering rather than using the green button.

Playing the s/h legacy lens game is about browsing around and figuring out which are the real plums. However there are few total lemons, most lenses do pretty ok stopped down to optimum apertures - f8-ish.

agreed - you should be able to find a decent copy of the Pentax SMC A 70-210/4 for $50 or less....
06-09-2018, 05:49 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

The advice given above is all good. Since you have a very capable camera, you should try to get the best lens for your money that you can. I have a lens which was a super cheap Promaster that showed in my Exif data as a Pentax 28-80 which was good on my K-50 but with my KP and no AA filter, it looks like fuzzy garbage. Manual or auto focus, get the best for your money. Look her in the for sale area since folks here often are more reasonable than flea bay since they don't have to give up 10-15% of the price.
06-09-2018, 06:53 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

The DA-L 50-200 is also pretty inexpensive and an OK choice. The DAL 55-300 is optically the same as the WR without quickshift and goes for moderate money as well.
06-10-2018, 01:18 AM   #12

Original Poster

as UMC named it is a "Vitacon MC Auto Zoom 1:4-5.6 35-300mm"
yes i found it on ebay UK
thanks, i will keep looking for that focal range too (250 up to 300mm is not so huge difference after all)

---------- Post added 06-10-18 at 11:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
agreed - you should be able to find a decent copy of the Pentax SMC A 70-210/4 for $50 or less....
thanks, it seems i ll include that in my search

---------- Post added 06-10-18 at 11:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
The advice given above is all good. Since you have a very capable camera, you should try to get the best lens for your money that you can. I have a lens which was a super cheap Promaster that showed in my Exif data as a Pentax 28-80 which was good on my K-50 but with my KP and no AA filter, it looks like fuzzy garbage. Manual or auto focus, get the best for your money. Look her in the for sale area since folks here often are more reasonable than flea bay since they don't have to give up 10-15% of the price.
thanks again,
yes ill do...but unfortunately one of the best pentax markets (the US one) is totally disturbed and blocked by customs policy here in Greece.

---------- Post added 06-10-18 at 11:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
The DA-L 50-200 is also pretty inexpensive and an OK choice. The DAL 55-300 is optically the same as the WR without quickshift and goes for moderate money as well.
thanks for the tip. I'll keep searching for this too.
06-12-2018, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I own both the 50-200mm and the 55-300mm, the former in WR version and the latter non-L (metal mount).
These zooms have two huge advantages: AF and reduced bulk/weight.
They won't work if you ever decide to go full frame.
The quality is good, but not better than the best Pentax-A zooms.
If you want a solid manual focus zoom with "A" contacts, full frame compatible, and with image quality comparable with modern consumer zooms, I'd go for a Pentax-A 3.5/35-105mm or Pentax-A 4/70-210mm.
These two zooms were released as prosumer lenses with constant aperture, and even today they can be considered good optics with impeccable construction.
With a little patience, both of them can be found for cheap on eBay.
I think that both are at the very top of the heap, considering price/performance ratio.
I am amazed by how cheap they are. Really, really great value.
You can't go wrong buying them. Sturdy and sharp.
Just a little too heavy....
07-01-2018, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
hi all

i ve spotted a Pentax compatible vitacon lens in ebay and the seller says it is a PKA mount. But, when i asked he doesnt know if the K3 can fit in.
It is a 3rd-party maker but aren't the PK/A mounts compatible with K3 ? Does anyone know the brand "vitacon"?
Do they have that "dangerous" screw?

below there is a photo of the product's mount.

thank you in advance for your help.

Sorry it looks like I've bought the lens you were after I should get it by the end of the week so hopefully I'll have some time to play with it on Saturday or Sunday.
Once again sorry but I couldn't resist it with it being shall we say strange 35-300mm.
07-01-2018, 11:04 AM   #15
amateur dirt farmer...
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chris.britingles Quote
Sorry it looks like I've bought the lens you were after I should get it by the end of the week so hopefully I'll have some time to play with it on Saturday or Sunday.
Once again sorry but I couldn't resist it with it being shall we say strange 35-300mm.
sniper!