Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2018, 09:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
I have the shot using the hyperlocal scale, but I can't figure out how to download here. Shucks.
Terry
Click on your name on the top right, near the bold "Welcome, " text.
Look for "Albums" in the menu on the left, and go on from there

06-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Click on your name on the top right, near the bold "Welcome, " text.
Look for "Albums" in the menu on the left, and go on from there
Ok, it's in my album, now. It's the best I can do with my Irix 15. Your opinion would be appreciated.
Terry
06-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Ok, it's in my album, now. It's the best I can do with my Irix 15. Your opinion would be appreciated.
Terry
Well it doesn't look bad... problem is, one can't really judge a lens at web size (1024 pixel max on this forum).

So, if you want to get opinions on how the lens performs you have two-three ways:
1. You upload the straight out of camera jpeg on a storage service, like WeTransfer, DropBox etc.
2. You upload the straight out of camera jpeg on Flickr (or similar service), at full size.
3. You crop 1024*1024 portions from it with Photoshop (the four corners and the center), and upload one by one on your album here.
06-12-2018, 12:15 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentageek Quote
There is special 'hyperfocal' scale on the barrel of your Irix. Align its '11' mark with focus mark - infinity mark should align with '11' mark on depth of field scale. On the other end of scale you will see that '11' indicates 1.5m / 5 ft. It means that everything between 1.5 m and infinity will be in focus as long as f-number is 11 or higher. Now lock the focus using the ring in front the lens, and go out to take photos. The scene you described seems to be good candidate - as long as you use f/11 and do not get too close (remember, 1.5 m), everything should be in focus. Post the results, please, so we can take a look and see if they are really terrible. If you are interested in more detailed description of the hyperfocal distance, there is a lot of material available online, including calculators and mobile apps. There is one caveat: results provided by calculators may vary, as they depend on input parameters - for instance, I use Hyperfocal Pro app, and for given f-number it shows greater depth of field than the scale on Irix barrel.
Pentageek,
I have a shot in my album, now. It's not pretty, but for a test shot I hope it's useable. I followed your instructions on focusing. I just need to know if I have any lens problems. I'm just learning to post process, as well as using the hyperlocal scale. But, do I have a good copy of this lens? Thanks for your opinion.
Terry

06-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There is special 'hyperfocal' scale on the barrel of your Irix. Align its '11' mark with focus mark - infinity mark should align with '11' mark on depth of field scale. On the other end of scale you will see that '11' indicates 1.5m / 5 ft. It means that everything between 1.5 m and infinity will be in focus as long as f-number is 11 or higher. Now lock the focus using the ring in front the lens, and go out to take photos. The scene you described seems to be good candidate - as long as you use f/11 and do not get too close (remember, 1.5 m), everything should be in focus. Post the results, please, so we can take a look and see if they are really terrible. If you are interested in more detailed description of the hyperfocal distance, there is a lot of material available online, including calculators and mobile apps. There is one caveat: results provided by calculators may vary, as they depend on input parameters - for instance, I use Hyperfocal Pro app, and for given f-number it shows greater depth of field than the scale on Irix barrel.
The lens has a beautiful scale, too. That got me the best results, so far. I just want to verify that it's a good copy. Then I will be comfortable using it and buying the filters that I want.
Terry
06-13-2018, 02:51 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As Lensbeginner wrote, it's pretty hard to say whether the lens is sharp using only web-sized picture. Looking at your picture, I do not see anything unusual - in other words, I would expect something like this in terms of image quality. Please post a picture as per Lensbeginner's proposal, taking into account central and corner parts of the image.
06-15-2018, 08:06 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
ND Filter holder

Hello,
Now that I'm using my Irix 15mm Hyperlocal scale, I'm happy with it and plan to keep it. Now, I want a filter system for it. I wanted the Lee Foundation kit, but the 95mm adapter vignettes on the Irix. What system are you guys using?
Thank you,
Terry

06-15-2018, 09:08 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad we were able to help I use only Irix UV/protection filter. I have not bought any filter system - it is big, cumbersome, and adds bulk to already large lens. Sorry, won't help you this time
06-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Glad we were able to help I use only Irix UV/protection filter. I have not bought any filter system - it is big, cumbersome, and adds bulk to already large lens. Sorry, won't help you this time
Well, I just want a nice filter system for mine. I have never used them, and want to learn. This is my first experience with UWA lenses, and filters. I just seems like a fun thing to learn, and use. You all have definitely been helpful.
Terry

---------- Post added 06-15-18 at 10:08 AM ----------

Pentageek,
You you please verify if I am using the hyperfocal scale properly. I am just aligning the two 11's and shoot at f/11. Both the 11 on the scale and the 11 at the bottom. Hope that's right.
Terry
06-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I guess I could get a few ND filters from Irix. They have them all the way through 10 stops. That would certainly be the most economical choice.
Terry
06-15-2018, 01:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Pentageek,
You you please verify if I am using the hyperfocal scale properly. I am just aligning the two 11's and shoot at f/11. Both the 11 on the scale and the 11 at the bottom. Hope that's right.
Terry
Nope, you have to align the focus marker with the 11 on the top.
This way, one 11 will fall on the infinity symbol - the two 11s on the bottom represent the range in focus at f/11.

Like so: as you can see you'll have in focus from a little more than 1m (bottom-left "11") to infinity (bottom-right "11")

Last edited by LensBeginner; 06-15-2018 at 01:23 PM.
06-16-2018, 09:00 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lensbeginner Quote
nope, you have to align the focus marker with the 11 on the top.
This way, one 11 will fall on the infinity symbol - the two 11s on the bottom represent the range in focus at f/11.

Like so: As you can see you'll have in focus from a little more than 1m (bottom-left "11") to infinity (bottom-right "11")
imgp1116.dng

---------- Post added 06-16-18 at 09:10 AM ----------

Nope, you have to align the focus marker with the 11 on the top.

Like so: as you can see you'll have in focus from a little more than 1m (bottom-left "11") to infinity (bottom-right "11")
That's exactly how I have it set, now. I'm trying to upload a photo from this morning, so I can get your opinion. It won't upload when I hit the upload button. It does nothing. Tried both uploading in my message, and tried my album. What am I doing wrong?
Terry
06-16-2018, 09:17 AM   #28
Veteran Member

That's exactly how I have it set, now. I'm trying to upload a photo from this morning, so I can get your opinion. It won't upload when I hit the upload button. It does nothing. Tried both uploading in my message, and tried my album. What am I doing wrong?
Terry
Uh... what are you doing differently from last time?
In your albums you click on Upload Pictures, then click on the button and then select the file from your PC.
06-16-2018, 10:44 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Uh... what are you doing differently from last time?
In your albums you click on Upload Pictures, then click on the button and then select the file from your PC.
When I go through that process, the image doesn't show up anywhere. So frustrating. What I'm really disappointed about, is that my Irix just isn't working out. Using the hyperlocal scale produces better results than not using it, but the images just aren't sharp. I really wanted this lens to work out. I love the build quality, and how it looks on my K-1.
Terry

---------- Post added 06-16-18 at 11:22 AM ----------

I am wondering if there is something small that I'm doing wrong. What I'm doing is setting the hyperfocal scale exactly like pictured above, and locking it down. Then put my camera on a very sturdy tripod and bullhead. Then compose and shoot. I use the 2 second delay, SR off. Sound ok?
Terry
06-16-2018, 11:53 AM   #30
Veteran Member

When I go through that process, the image doesn't show up anywhere. So frustrating. What I'm really disappointed about, is that my Irix just isn't working out. Using the hyperlocal scale produces better results than not using it, but the images just aren't sharp. I really wanted this lens to work out. I love the build quality, and how it looks on my K-1.
Terry

---------- Post added 06-16-18 at 11:22 AM ----------

I am wondering if there is something small that I'm doing wrong. What I'm doing is setting the hyperfocal scale exactly like pictured above, and locking it down. Then put my camera on a very sturdy tripod and bullhead. Then compose and shoot. I use the 2 second delay, SR off. Sound ok?
Terry
Sounds perfect.
Try loading the whole file on Dropbox or somesuch, you can set up a free account in minutes.